SMALLVILLE: JL or L*?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well you would still be able to ease people into a Legion show. I'm not saying that a Legion show would be gigantic. I think it would be able to sustain the same ratings that Smallville gets each week, Alexz Johnson is by no means a house hold name but she did carry "Instant Star" here in Canada on her shoulders for four seasons before it eventually ran its course. As Saturn Girl she was amazing. I think if you had Geoff Johns and Paul Levitz as Executive Producers and a sound show runner team in charge they would be able to make it work.

I think viewers would be interested in seeing the FUTURE of the DCU...and that this would be the linchpin of the series. Immortal beings like Ra's al Ghul (who actually was involved in a plot to become the United Planets President and take over), Vandal Savage, and of course their own rouges gallery would be a focus. Plus the every day troubles and tribulations of a teenager would be character arc focus. I'm almost totally convinced a Legion show would work.

Not to mention the fact as I stated before in another thread Clark's history with the Legion is well documented.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There was an animated Legion show that only lasted two seasons. But then, it wasn't very good.

And yeah, I certainly would enjoy watching Alexz Johnson on a weekly basis, but that wasn't really the issue I was addressing. As a rule, no matter how relatable your characters are, futuristic or outer-space settings tend to drive off a large portion of the general television audience. You might have awesome characterization and drama but lots of people just won't bother to watch it because they're put off by the exotic setting. Remember Century City? It was a courtroom drama set in the near-ish future, exploring the new questions of law and ethics that would be raised by cutting-edge advances in biotech, computers, and the like. It was a fascinating, innovative idea. And it was cancelled after about four weeks, because the lawyer-show audience was scared off by the futurism.

The sad fact is, most TV viewers will accept anything weird -- aliens, Kryptonite mutants, ludicrous "fringe science," vampires, werewolves, superpowers -- if you give it to them in a familiar, present-day setting; but if you try to give them a story about realistic, relatable characters and situations that happens to take place in the future or on another planet, odds are they'll reject it. It's weird, but it's true.

Then again, Galactica managed to last four years. There's kind of a built-in audience for action-oriented space shows, even if more drama-oriented SF like Century City or Caprica can't catch a break. So yeah, in theory, an action-oriented superhero show set in the future might have a chance. But I don't see the WB or the CW going for it. After all, action has always been secondary in Smallville. It's first and foremost a drama, and the superheroics make up only a few moments out of any given episode. And I can't see the big three networks going for it either. NBC and ABC both prefer present-day SF/fantasy, and genre has always been thin on the ground at CBS. FOX might go for it; they've always been the network most willing to buy and air genre shows, even if those shows don't often last long. Syfy would probably be the most likely home for it, but whether they could give it the budget it would need is open to question.

3. Admiral_Young

I'm afraid I agree with you. A Legion show would probably last no more than a season. Was "Century City" that lawyer show with Zachery Ty Bryan? Brad from "Home Improvement"?

4. Christopher

Uhh, Bryan apparently guest starred in the third episode, but I doubt that's what you mean. It starred Ioan Gruffudd, Nestor Carbonell, Viola Davis, and Kristin Lehman.

5. Admiral_Young

I think that was the only episode I saw LOL :)

6. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

This is what I would do...I wouldn't expect a network or general viewing public to except it. :lol:

7. Admiral_Young

Christopher has a valid point about the budget for the series being astronomical, also about a viewing need for a show like the Legion. It could be one of those series with a niche following but not much else, some fans would argue that's exactly what Smallville has become in the last few years. The fact though is that Clark's ties to the Legion can not be disputable and I really do think they should have appeared a lot sooner than they did.

With regards to the Justice League/DCU characters appearing. I like the solo episodes where they appeared and I thought "Justice" was just a spectacular episode but ultimately I disagreed with having them on the show before Clark was Superman.

The thing about "Smallville" is that it is supposed to be about Clark Kent's formulative years except in the way the series has been presented, they've exhausted that part and now are telling stories about his early adult life, while still holding strong to their old formulaic style and of course reinforcing with an iron fist "No Flights, No Tights".

8. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

The budget would be any bigger than Smallville's is. Most of the 31st century would be green screen and a set much like a space ship bridge...yes it would cost but any SF show would be expensive to do...plus the 31st century would come into play really until the 4th season and by then the show would have a built in audience...like I said this is what I would do...not what I expect to be done...big difference there. ;)

If Clark spent time in the 31st century...he could where the suit and be Superman...before it happens in his own time. Once again...this is just my imagination at work...don't take it too seriously. :)

9. Admiral_Young

Indeed. My Legion show though, the one I spent months working on but ultimately scrapped would have been pretty huge. Bigger than Smallville in both concept and execution.

10. Christopher

The problem is that the series ran so much longer than they ever expected, so they've had to postpone his transformation into Superman unnaturally long while still coming up with new stories to tell that could move the saga forward. I assume the reason they didn't just turn it into a Superman series is that, like I said, the whole idea was to reinterpret the Superman myth for people who'd be put off by the cape and tights. That's the fanbase that made the show a success: the people who watch for Clark, not Superman. Yes, they're also trying to appeal to the comics-fan side of the fanbase more and more these days, but I can understand them not wanting to alienate the show's original fanbase in the process, not wanting to fundamentally change their brand identity.

11. Admiral_Young

I'd be interested to see the alternate series finale that Miles and Gough came up with during the shorten WGA strike (season seven). That was the second time Michael Rossenbaum said that he would have returned for the series finale had it ended. There is also reportedly series finale treatments they came up with for season six and five because they didn't think they'd get renewed.

12. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I also would have most of the 31st Century stuff take place on a ship...it would start out in New Metropolis at their headquarters and all...but it wouldn't take place there...to help with the budget.

As I said SF is going to be expensive no matter what...so you have to pick your battles. Again...just my imagination here...not what I expect to see...ever. :lol:

13. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Based on what we have seen so far, I would really like to see a Justice League series with Clark making guest appearances. Within the context of what has already been established, I think it could really work with Green Arrow and Martian Manhunter being the leaders of the League.

14. Admiral_Young

Oh that reminds me...my Metropolis would be called Megatropolis and encompass the entire eastern seaboard in the future!!! No Kansas location for it.

15. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Yeah the JLers are great...great actors & actresses all around I love Britt Irvin as Stargirl & Alaina Huffman as Black Canary. :drool:

But the L* is nothing to sneeze at...I swear that ep is one of the best...if not the best of the series...and the actors & actress playing them rock! Throw in Marsters as Brainiac 5...it is a winner! :D

16. Admiral_Young

Long Live The Legion!!!

17. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    For real! :D

Even though people at The CW & Brian/Kelly have ruled out a spin-off...I think it would be a shame if something doesn't happen. :(

18. Admiral_Young

I'd be fine with a two hour Legion movie, either pilot or mini-series. I'm actually a little surprised that we've not read anything about a "Green Arrow" spin off series. I think that would be almost natural. After the events of "Smallville" Ollie moves back permanently to set up shop and take control of his life at Star City. Sometimes I find it funny that he's in Metropolis so damn much.

19. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I don't think doing the Legionnaires powers would have been more costly than what was done on Mutant X or even Smallville...but the sets would have been costly for the 31st century...even if it was actual sets with green screen...really no different than Smallville now...10 years ago...no.

20. Christopher

Ugh, no thanks. That was when the show was at its absolute nadir. I actually stopped watching toward the end of S7 and didn't come back until Millar & Gough had left.