So, Pulse weapons.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Klingon Empire, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Klingon Empire

Klingon Empire Captain Captain

The New Enterprise has pulse weapons. :vulcan:

So, we can assume that the new hand phaser is a pulse weapon too?

:brickwall:

2. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    On the original series, both the shipboard and hand-held phasers had "pulse" capability.

The film-makers will do whatever looks the coolest... as they should.

3. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Probably. I like the new Phaser effects, they remind me of the Phasers in TWOK, which to me, always seemed more powerful looking then just straight beams.

4. Klingon Empire

Klingon Empire Captain Captain

I've only seen a few episodes were they actually shot the Shipboard and Hand Held phasers.

I'm catching up still.

5. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

The shot of the Enterprise firing its phasers in the superbowl commerical had me giddy. I don't know bout you guys but im jumping in my time machine and traveling to May.

6. PluckyNinja

PluckyNinja Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Federation ships commonly will have blue beams, Romulan ships red beams. The exception being Robau's ship. It has purple beams 'cause hes a badass.

7. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

Futuroms should have green :(

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Then maybe you should get less angry.

9. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Both shipboard and handheld phasers in TOS were "pulses" in the stun setting.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's more like Star Wars so it's naturally better.

It would certainly make more sense for the handheld phasers since they were always trained on a single spot anyway. I always thought it would be cool to see the beams used to their full potential sweeping after their targets.

11. Lashmore

Lashmore Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

just reminds me of the wrath of khan, which to me, isa good choice to base the weapons on over other trek eps.

Who cares if they seem non-canon?

New to trek audiences wouldn't, that's a good thing.

12. Johnnymuffintop

Johnnymuffintop Commander Red Shirt

I couldn't agree more with Kelso.
    (For fans of That 70's show, you know how absurd that is to say. haha)
    I always thought that the Mako's plasma weapons in Enterprise we're cooler than the crew's phasers, I know that phasers are more like a scalpel and plasma weapons are like blunt sticks, but the effect is much cooler than a simple beam. Which is something I would like to see in Star Trek. COOL effect, the stories are there, the universe is there, just make it look cool. Which is exactly what this movie seems to be doing.

13. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

The pulse effect looks fine, but beams can be interesting too. One issue with moving to pulse-based effects is that it becomes more difficult to distinguish between phasers and torpedoes. Maybe they'll depict torpedoes as trailing glowing wires back to the launch tubes as some modern torpedoes do. :lol:

14. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

I'm sure the phasers have different modes of operation. The Kelvin seems to have seperate emitters for pulsed and beam weapons. Its logical to assume that the Enterprise, being a next-generation ship, has phaser emitters with both these capabilities. It seems as though the phasers were being used as point-defense weapons in that shot, tearing into the fighters/missiles/drones from the Narada. It is entirely possibly that the Enterprise can and would switch over to beam mode when taking on a larger ship.

Wait and see.

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Ooo, I like that idea.

16. Johnnymuffintop

Johnnymuffintop Commander Red Shirt

It is also possible that they differentiate by color. Since the new TOS phasers are red, maybe the torpedoes will be blue? (swapping the colors would completely screw with the canon, since quantums are blue, but who knows) Most likely they'll be kinda orange like Enterprise.

Also the fact that it might be hard to tell the difference between phaser and torpedo might be nice on-screen, just a collage of destruction. Like the opening sequence in Star Wars: Episode III. (speaking of which, whenever I see the Kelvin and Narada clips, it always reminds me of the EpIII opening.)

17. LLAP

LLAP Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Didn't the Defiant have pulse weapons?

18. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

Actually, Federation photon torpedoes were usually blueish-white during TOS, and even in TMP. No canon violation there at all.

[​IMG]

Also, phasers during TOS varried between blue and red on a regular basis. Hand phasers were even green on occasion.

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

In the caps it looks as though a fighter is turning back and moving away from the Enterprise, being shot down by one of the Phaser bursts from her port array.

The images we have of the Kelvin shows her firing continued beams stretching from her all the way to the Narada and using the pop-up arrays to shoot down the missiles.

As for canon we've seen nearly every configuration fitted to a Federation ship at some point, beam, pulse, straffing, proximity pulse, rapid fire beam, multi beam and even planetary use stun mode. They'd have trouble finding a non-canon array if they tried.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why?

Which also points up the dramatic flaw in using steady-beam hand-held weapons like that: the shooter should never miss the target, any more than you can miss with a flashlight. Yeah, the beam's very narrow but you can see exactly where it's going and simply follow as you would when pointing your finger at something.