Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Chuck Finley, Aug 6, 2013.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

European? What? Ohhhhh...hahaha. No, I'm actually American but living in Europe right now.

2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

But Hank does know that. He stated that Walt cares for Jesse in the last episode. Hank has simply picked up on one of the show's truths, as depicted for us, the audience, and for Hank, the character.

He may not have kept Jesse around "just" because he liked him, but it has been shown quite plainly that Walt does care about what happens to Jesse. Now, if it comes down to Walt or Jesse, Jesse or his family, Walt will not choose Jesse. But if it comes to that, and he has to take Jesse out, I'd be willing to bet we'll see Walt react in a way that is consistent with Walt doing something he really didn't want to do.

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Damn! What a place to end the episode. Is this it for Hank?

By the way, I thought of the dirt matching too.

4. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Aw, jeez.... These cliffhangers are killing me! Looks like we might have at least a partial answer for why Walt was packing the heavy arsenal in the flash forward scenes.

5. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If possession of huge amounts of cash with neither W2s nor canceled checks to the IRS is enough to cook your goose, Jesse wouldn't have been there. Getting it wrong in Jesse's case was bad enough, but trying to have it both ways is pushing the envelope in the wrong way.

I could have sworn that Walt was going to realize that the dropped call meant that Jesse wasn't where he claimed to be.

Walt having the gall to call someone else a coward is pure Walt. Also, calling out Jess is not going to end well.

Contriving it so that Walt was trying to save Hank? Are they trying to tell us Walt's true inner Mr. Chips is coming out, now that he's no longer afraid? I'm having trouble believing in Mr. Brave.

I've finally put my finger on why Jesse's confession seemed so flat, so one note. It's the comparison with his "confession" in group, albeit disguised as a story about a dog.

6. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, I took it more as Walt is systematically losing any reason he has left to be good at all. If Hank dies, & he loses his family, what reason would he have to be anything but bad from then on?

Then again, what do I know, I've been flying off on half baked notions for the past 3 pages of this thread :guffaw:

One thing is for sure. This show has gone where no other ever has. I don't think I've ever seen a show end during a shootout

All I know is Jesse is just plain tragedy now. I mean, from his perspective, he walked those two guys right into a Heisenberg trap, & once again has fallen prey to the horror that is Walt

7. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

I think both DEA agents are done.
    Jesse, I don't think so.

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

God damn you, Vince Gilligan! This is going to be the longest freaking week of my life! :eek:

9. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.:klingon:

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did the math. If everyone dies in this gunfight... The final show down will be between Walt and Lydia.

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd actually love that. It would be so much fun to have everyone dead a few episodes from the end. Maybe Lydia goes after Skyler after Hank is killed for revenge.

12. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

Hank's dead, I know Dean Norris wanted him to die. I think Walt's gonna be pissed at the supremacists for not following orders and killing Hank, and the one man you don't want pissed off at you in this show is Heisenberg.

13. Chuck Finley

Chuck Finley Commander

I don't know what to say, the cliffhangers are killing me. I know they are still trying to tell a story, but I guess I was expecting a little more chaos by now. It does look like Walt will be using the big gun on Todd's Uncle's crew. Can't wait to see what's next.

14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Damn.

I thought the episode was going to end after Walter ended his phone call with Jack.

But the cliffhanger that we got instead was ten times worse.

It's going to be a very long week.

15. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Will Jack figure out why Walt was out in the desert?

Will Jack send men to search the area for the money, or merely torture Walt?

Will Jack kidnap Skylar and Jr. to also get the big bucks from Lydia?

I don't find much tension in the cliffhanger. It had a socko ending, but what was showed clearly indicates that Hank and Gomez are doomed but Jesse is somehow supposed to escape. The only halfway plausible escape route I can imagine involves a fortuitously timely tribal police patrol. (Incidentally even if Hank had called the tribal police and DEA first, there wasn't even time before Jack et al. showed up for that to make a difference.) It would be pretty weak to write that. And a flashback showing a different explanation for their survival would be even weaker, harking right back to the old Saturday afternoon serials.

Having the big faceoff being between Walt and Aryan Nations (excuse me, WMM, are they really nervous about the legalities with Aryan Nations?!) would be a sleazy way to redeem Walt by sending him up against possibly the only people on the planet who could be viewed as worse.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Absolutely gripping episode. The only thing I didn't quite buy was Huell falling so easily for Hank's ploy in the beginning. Even if he thought Walt killed Jesse, it's hard to believe Walt would also go through the trouble of putting a hit on Saul and Huell, and that he'd really be concerned about them talking to the DEA.

But Walt being fooled by the barrel photo I can totally see. We've seen him get emotionally worked up plenty of times, to the point that he stops thinking clearly and starts acting in the most idiotic and childish way imaginable.

As for next week, I really hope the writers don't try to wimp out and somehow spare Hank. The fact he didn't get taken down by the first shot is hard enough to believe, but if he somehow survives the entire thing, that would just be stretching things too much.

17. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

While Walt is screaming down the phone to Jessie he admits to doing a lot of bad shit. I hope this won't turn out to be contrived move with this somehow coming back later to bite him in the ass and lead to his downfall.

18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ That occurred to me as well, that perhaps the conversation was being recorded and Walt just gave his "real" confession on the way out there. It would be another miscalculation on his part. He's starting to get flustered and make some bad mistakes.

19. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I think Huell was keenly aware of what a bad situation Walt was in thanks to Hank and then Jesse. Saul's not the most scrupulous guy, and Saul has shown on more than one occasion that he is afraid of Walt. If it came down to Walt leaning on Saul to help him eliminate any "threats," meaning anyone who's assisted Walt in his criminal enterprises, Huell would know he's got to be on that list. He simply knows too much.

Hank and Gomez have to die, otherwise Walt is either dead (not possible given the flash-forwards) or spending the rest of his life in prison (ditto.)

I'm assuming only Hank, Gomez, and Jesse(?) would have access to the recording, and the DEA won't even know about it.

I've been enjoying the way this whole situation is spinning out of his control. He thought he could do all this stuff and then walk away. Turns out you can't keep running from the things you've done.

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it was almost certainly being recorded. The problem is, with Hank and Gomez going alone on this and not yet involving the DEA, this recording could still easily be erased or destroyed before anything good even becomes of it.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Hank actually had the tape in his pocket, and Todd's uncle ends up smashing it immediately after killing him.