Matt Jefferies, creating a world...

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It may be a case of quibbling over definitions, but I believe I can site at least one example when he did.

The Leif Ericson Galactic Cruiser, later repackaged in "glow in the dark" plastic as the Interplanetary U.F.O., was an "original" plastic assembly model kit released by AMT. The company commissioned Jefferies to design that craft. It was supposed to be the first in a series of space opera type kits that AMT would own entirely. The kit company would not need to pay royalties.

Alas, the kit did not sell as well (during its first release) as AMT had hoped, so no more kits were released. It's possible someone at AMT kept other doodles Jefferies drew, but nothing else was officially negotiated.

Ironically, when reissued as the UFO, its image was often printed upon the boxes of Trek prints and its last box art design matched the scheme of the Trek kits. Some kids (well, I did, anyway) used it to represent an alien craft the Enterprise might encounter.

But, yeah, Jefferies did do some SF designs outside of Trek, though that particular instance got unofficially "assimilated" later.

Sincerely,

Bill

2. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I wanted to single this out because of the thought that went into the arrangement of the crates on the ship. I think it's worth noting that he actually thought out how the units would work, giving the form a true function, rather than just designing something for pure aesthetics.

3. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I never really noticed that before. I'll have to pay special attention the next time I watch that episode.

4. Praetor

Well, you have to kind of look at how they're arranged versus his concept diagrams. Basically they're either fuel or cargo units of some sort, and could be arranged around the spine of the ship in larger amounts. It would seem the Botany Bay ejected some of hers for whatever reason, at some point.

5. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I was under the impression that ships of the Botany Bay's class were designed to carry up to 16 of the wedge-shaped cargo/passenger modules, but only five were needed for Khan and his people.

Link

6. Praetor

You're probably right. I was unclear whether they were actually cargo or fuel pods. I think someone interpreted them as fuel pods that were dropped along the journey.

7. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

The Leif was used in some storyboards for TAS though it never made the final animation cut...

http://www.projectrho.com/SSC/model.html

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

9. neoworx

neoworx Lieutenant Red Shirt

10. Praetor

Thank you - that's the point I was trying to make, but you stated it a bit more succinctly.

11. neoworx

neoworx Lieutenant Red Shirt

12. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Do you mean the pre-production sketches for that TV series based on War of the Worlds? These look fantastic!

In my TOS Enterprise deck plan project I'm trying to redress studio set pieces the way I believe Walter Matt Jefferies might have done it. One particular item I mentioned at the end of my comments for Engineering Deck 13 was to envision a hangar deck control window (one level above) which would have been essentially the Delta Vega station inner "window frame".

My jaw dropped when I saw this pre-production sketch. :eek:
    That's just eerie, but tells me I'm probably not doing that bad trying to recreate an Enterprise interior as Mr. Jefferies might have done it. Thanks for the link!

I (in the FJ thread) and another gentleman in this thread felt compelled to point out Matt Jefferies' influence in starship design far beyond TOS. Looking at the propulsion units of the Leif Ericson I'd dare to say Matt Jefferies' design influence definitely extended all the way to DS9 and one ship in particular. ;)

Bob

13. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

14. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Interesting, one of the photo captions says "George Pal with model of spaceship for his TV series" - It's the Tholian vessel from "The Tholian Web" :lol:

Bob

15. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Why would I ask Mike Okuda about it?

16. MGagen

MGagen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Matt Jefferies was just some guy hired to design sets in the same way Michelangelo was just some guy the Pope hired to paint his ceiling...

M.

17. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

I´m not sure what you want to say here. That Matt Jefferies didn´t care about the TOS sets and designs or wasn´t devoted to or passionate about the project just because he was hired to do it? That no one who is hired (and paid) to do something really puts thought and love into it? And why the comparison to Michelangelo? Just because he was forced to paint the ceiling of the Sixtine Chapel, does that mean he didn´t put thought into it and plan everything meticulously?

Or am I understanding you wrong?

Mario

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I think you misunderstand him. The Michelangelo reference is the tip off. MGagen is really saying MJ was essentially a genius and a very talented one at that.

19. MGagen

MGagen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was sarcasm. I am one of Jefferies' greatest fans.

My point was that anyone saying he was "just some guy hired to do the job" would be as off base as if they had referred to Michelangelo as a mere house-painter.

I guess you could say I was doing the opposite of "damning with faint praise." Perhaps "praising with faint damnation"?

M.

20. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

Ok, I get it now :) And I´m glad it was just sarcasm on your part. It´s just that sometimes I get the feeling, many people here at the TrekBBS prefer saying how bad or inferior some aspects of Trek are, rather than saying what other aspects they enjoy, love and care about. But I may be getting that wrong, too ;)

Mario