Dallas - Season 2

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 15, 2013.

1. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

her and the evil south american are way too close. It has to be planned.

oh and kudos to the Texas justice system. Arrest to trial in a month? that's unheard of anywhere else :lol:

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

It was weird seeing the episode jump ahead 1 month.

Oh, and I had a dream last night that someone broke into J.R.'s room and stabbed him in his sleep.

3. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

4. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Heh. The worst part of wakin' up is that idiot Cliff Barnes calling you during breakfast.

5. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh. Not a reboot, :D but nice article.
    Now I know why the Brenda Strong casting was bothering me so much... because Jesse Metcalfe is in it!! That's why I can't see her for anything else than her Desperate Housewives character.
    Two more JR episodes left... I really hope he gets one last face to face with Cliff Barnes. If not... the phone call was good.

6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

^^^That was pretty good. He actually looked like he was in a good mood and then Cliff Barnes calls. Probably put him off his feed...

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

J.R. joins the internet age. Nice little moment there.

[Edit] And of course he was up to no good. I should have known.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  8. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember as a child I was somehow under the impression that JR was a real person, and that somebody from ITV shot him, because Dallas was getting better ratings than Dynasty.

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

What's funny about that is here, it would have been the Disney Network doing the shooting...

10. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This upcoming episode on Monday night, March 4, 2013 might be the last time we see Larry Hagman as J.R. Ewing. Larry was great actor, and was still looking good until the last episode before his death. Larry, you are already missed. Rest in Peace!!!!:(

11. wissaboo

When do we hear if this gets renewed? I'm following it on facebook and they keep making posts asking for reasons it souldn't be cancelled. Makes me think they might.

12. doubleohfive

There's no "set" schedule really that all shows, all networks follow. Let alone when they announce.

I'm sure TNT is watching Dallas very closely. From what I've heard, critically it's doing well, but the numbers have been down since coming back in the winter instead of the summer (when, arguably, "nothing else is on") ... Hagman's passing is obviously foremost on the network's mind as an effect of how much longevity is left in the show.

In short, we'll find out when we find out.

13. cardinal biggles

It didn't even occur to me that the first season's higher ratings were due to it airing in the summer. Unfortunately, even the Live+3 numbers are down from last year, meaning viewers have left, even with the DVR and On Demand options open to them.

I hope the show manages to get a third season; I like the new storylines and characters they've introduced this year, and hopefully they'll get a chance to play them out.

14. doubleohfive

Season 2 has been pretty good, absolutely. (I was literally on the edge of my seat for most of Monday's episode.)

I'd love to see the show go for at least two or three more seasons, but that might be wishful thinking. Who knows?

15. wissaboo

I dislike Christopher and Elena more and more each episode. Always the victims. Don't tell me they wouldn't enforce a contract when it benefited them or expect a return on their investment in a reasonable time. But when someone else does it they are eeeevil.

16. cardinal biggles

I think that's the big difference between the J.R./Bobby rivalry on the original series and the John Ross/Christopher rivalry on the new series. You watched with fascination as J.R. rolled out his latest crooked scheme, but you also cheered when Bobby came along to self-righteously slap him down. When Christopher tries to do it to John Ross, he just comes across as a whiner. Maybe it's a testament to the on-screen acting skills and off-screen friendship between Hagman and Duffy that they were able to play off each other so well for 13 years. I think Josh Henderson's John Ross is growing into a worthy successor to J.R., but Jesse Metcalfe's Christopher leaves a lot to be desired.

17. ALF

Anakin Skywalker was a whiner and he became the badass Darth Vader. :D
    In other words, JR. Ewing was likely a whiny brat when younger, too.

Agreed on both counts. John Ross might be the reason to tune in after JR's dead. He really is fantastic. The scene where he slaps Pamela's ass and asks her butler to make breakfast was a riot.

Was Monday's JR's exit / last episode? One minute has was looking at silly internet videos, then he vanished. Interesting that he went from knowing nothing of tablet technology one minute then became an expert computer hacker the next. Obviously he had some kind of help... just wondering if he'll end up dead in a puff of smoke next Monday night.

I'm currently making my way through the original series as this new show airs... I'm taking my time with it. Right now I'm finishing up season 6. There was a moment where Ellie told Pamela Ewing that 25 years down the road instead of Bobby and JR fighting over Ewing Oil it would be Christopher and John Ross doing the same... kind of incredible foreshadowing as that episode aired in 1982!

I might stop at season 8... I've read/heard the quality declines sharply after Leonard Katzman leaves the show... and there's no way I'm investing time in the bullshit 'dream season!'

A little blurb about next week's show in the Washington Post, sadly we won't get anything next week and have to wait until the 11th of March:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...a303a44-80f9-11e2-a350-49866afab584_blog.html

"In “Dallas'” March 11 episode — called "J.R.'s Masterpiece" — the Ewing clan reels upon hearing of J.R.'s death, and is even more shocked to learn the cause, TNT promises. Goody!"

18. doubleohfive

That wasn't Pam, it was Sue Ellen. It was during the big brouhaha over who would get control of Ewing Oil during the year-long contest (as stipulated by the codicil in Jock's will) between Bobby and J.R.

The contest brought out the worst in Bobby, and Pam saw it for what it was, and was also (with a little help from a scheming Katherine and J.R.), what led to their first divorce.

Sue Ellen, meanwhile, stood right by J.R.'s side during the contest and even helped him. That was why Miss Ellie was giving Sue Ellen the talking to in that episode, and you're right - it's crazy to think that was 30 years ago.

Cynthia Cidre screened the entire original series before conceptualizing the new show, so I'm sure that scene was very powerfully on her mind when she sat down to write the pilot.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  19. ALF

^^ Wow, great recall doubleohfive. Are you rewatching or do you have an eidetic memory? ;)

20. doubleohfive

Neither. I rewatched most of the series this summer myself. :lol: