MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's an insult to Dickey. What a... dick.

2. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

Prince Fielder wins the home run derby. Jeez, he's a big guy. Hard to believe he once hit an inside the park home run (of course, that was at the screwy Metrodome and he was probably about 30 lbs. lighter then).

3. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

Cubs fan here. Been one my whole life. I'm just hoping that maybe in the next couple years the Cubs will be able to develop the younger players as well as possibly get some power players so the team can actually be a real contender. Its getting old seeing them blow leads or lose games by only 1 or 2 runs.

Sigh

4. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Him, him, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck him!

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ And also fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck those jackasses in KC who booed Robinson Cano just because he didn't pick Billy Butler for the HR Derby team. :rolleyes:

(Then again, Prince Fielder got the same treatment a year ago for not picking Justin Upton...)

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was 40,000+ people. I think that was really funny.

7. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it wasn't exactly the classiest behavior but considering how he didn't pick Butler and the fact that he is on a team that perpetually trounces the Royals ( :cool: ), it was bound to happen.

Well, each gold ball was 18,000 dollars towards charity. It's a bit disgusting seeing people cheer against that.

8. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I've been seeing that, more or less, for 35 years or so.

Yeah, hopefully the Ricketts' are serious about winning, but they do have to consider it a business too.

Hiring Epstein & Hoyer were huge moves, obviously.

It is seriously going to take time though. The minors were practically empty of good talent for a long time.

9. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

It was a pretty pathetic thing to see.

I am no Yankee's fan - but no, it wasn't funny. Even the announcers were uncomfortable with it.

10. SmoothieX

I'm not a fan of booing when it isn't deserved. Save it for when someone does something unsportsmanlike or crass.

You hit a homer off my closer, fine.

You hit my best slugger in the head, the boobirds come out

11. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I can't stand booing, especially for your own players. The only time you boo your own player is if there is a CONSISTANT lack of trying. Not getting a hit or living up to some stats they had several years ago doesn't warrant booing. The stupidest booing is when a pitcher throws over to first base, followed by the intentional walk.

The only booing I support is the half-hearted booing of a player who has killed your club, because it's a sign of respect.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Yeah, I never could understand why that gets booed. Seems that every damn time a pitcher does a pickoff move, they boo! Why the hell do that...it's an accepted move. People should get over it.

13. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

It's generally because a pickoff attempt is successful very, very infrequently, and all it does is slow down the at-bat. One or two attempts, sure, but when you get to Steve Trachsel levels of bringing the game to a grinding halt, you're damned right I'm going to boo and expect the pitcher to sack up and deliver the pitch.

14. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I also thought it had to do with discouraging the pitcher from doing that so as to increase the chance of the player stealing :D

Although I do think intentional walks should be automatic. Just inform the umpire and let him take first.

16. SmoothieX

I hate the intentional walk. Give the guy lousy pitches, fine. Toss 4 halfway up the first base line, stupid.

It's analogous to saying we're not going to defend you LeBron, just go dunk one on us. Or we're not going to defend you Brady, put 6 quick ones on the board while our D has a snack. Totally stupid idea.

17. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

:D :D

I love that the Nats are doing well. And that the Mets don't totally suck.

But, oh, the Rockies...:(

18. SmoothieX

Pick one.

I need to now if I should commiserate with you, or throw rotten vegetables at you.

19. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or like Bob Gibson would say, why throw four times? Just hit the guy!

The IBB is annoyting to fans and its effectiveness is marginal, but they've been doing it for 90 years and more. Psychological, I guess.

Justin

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Stupid fuckers in KC were hassling Cano's family... :mad:

Link