GTA V Announced

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jax, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

yeah, that's something I meant to write, but forgot, no more "you can't go to the next area because..." bull crap, whole map's open from the beginning

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

This game sounds really great. But I simply can't buy it since I know the quality difference between PC in anti aliased 1080p and PS3 in sucky aliased 720p.

PC version or PS4 version, please!

3. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the driving around moments I find myself being far more nasty with Trevor than the other two characters. Has this happened with anybody else?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  4. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think anybody agrees with the abuse she suffered from the immature elements of the gaming community (which is quite large, sadly) but I think that review missed the mark on its sexual commentary. Here's the relevant paragraph (emphasis mine):

Anyone who plays a GTA game for more than a few minutes should have figured out that every advertisement on the radio is satirical. The games in general are highly satirical about American culture, particularly advertising. It's not subtle or highbrow, and it's often taken to offensive extremes, such as the ad for babiesovernight.com that encouraged people to throw babies into rivers. The fact that the reviewer didn't seem to get that really hurts her point.

The sad thing is that I think she could have actually made a solid case for the GTA games being somewhat sexist because of the lack of strong female roles in the games. Part of that is down to the games being set in the criminal underworld which is predominantly male, but there's still no Skylar Whites or Carmella Sopranos in the stories. Michael's wife Amanda is about as close as you get, but she's not really a character in her own right, she exists to help expand Mike's mid-life crisis. If the reviewer had kept to exploring those sorts of issues she could have made a decent argument, but instead she pursued a line of criticism that missed the mark.

Yeah, I remember you could drive from Las Venturas to Los Santos in about one minute on the highway in a decent car once that bridge unlocked. The smart thing about San Andreas' map was that there were very few direct routes like that, they put obstacles like mountains and rivers that roads had to go around, thus making the trips between cities feel longer. But that road between LV and LS broke the illusion of a massive world because it was a straight highway between two cities.

I have. I've also noticed that when I play as Trevor I tend to shy away from sports cars and prefer driving trucks because of the increased carnage they cause.

In general, I find myself role-playing more than in past games. When Franklin got a safehouse in Vinewood Hills, I went on the Vinewood tour bus and visited the Vinewood sign, almost as if I was acclimatising him to his new home.

5. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

How is the gunplay in this game? As I said in my other post I ultimately lost interest in GTAIV because the gun mechanics in that game were so touchy I was failing missions because of it.

I did really enjoy the gunplay in 'Red Dead Redemption' though. And since that was also from RockStar, I'm curious if GTAV is more like that.

6. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

It's closer to RDR...

And if you hook the game up with R*s Social Club you will unlock some free stuff in the game:

All 3 characters get a free garage, with a special car that can be spawned outside by pressing right on the d-pad(inside the garage) and selecting it, a free SMG at ammu-nation, a free haircut/beard option for all 3 characters at the barbershop...

http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage...s-Stars-for-Social-Club-Members-382972-2.jpg/

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hadn't played my 360 in months playing PC or PS3 and had forgotten just how damn loud that thing is. Did the install the game disc to a flash drive thing and it made a dramatic improvement. I had never an install before, I didn't think it'd actually affect the system noise.

8. Mr. Adventure

hmm, might need to do that, I haven't been able to find a goatee for Franklin. The beard is OK except the sideburns are way too pronounced.

BTW, anyone see Trevor's voice actor:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1476804/

Talk about typecasting :lol:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the game today. Tooled around a bit trying to get used to the driving mechanics, the aiming/shooting mechanic still has me a bit thrown for a loop. Haven't gotten much into the story yet just been trying to have fun once I could. Good looking game so far.

10. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Thankfully they kept that road locked until much later in the game. I always liked taking the long way around anyway.

11. Mr. Adventure

While the map is open from the get go I've found it pretty satisfying to stick to the game's mission structure for the most part and it gradually opens up new areas to you so there's always something novel around the corner. The game says I'm like 30-something percent complete but I still have a lot of unexplored spots in my map which I kind of like.

It also gives the characters a sense of space which I think adds something when they cross over into the other's world. I actually felt kind of excited when Trevor left the boundaries of his area, you really could feel things were changing.

12. Sephiroth

just beat it, pretty good ending and last mission, but San Andreas's ending mission is still the best

13. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

Very fun game my only quibbles are the way the cars handle on the roads. It feels as if I am driving on ice all the time when I am trying to turn and it is hard to drive and shoot at the same time, but other than those two items I am having a blast.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's almost impossible to drive and shoot at the same time I don't know how we're supposed to be able to do it. I don't think the cars handle "too" bad though they do have some odd quirks here and there. Aiming, period, is hard for me as the aiming radial is too light colored and too easily blends into the background so I really struggle to aim most of the time, it also seems there's no "auto lock" feature with an ability to scroll through targets.

Been having fun with the game, I'm not too far through the story mode, just finished the mission with Michael and retrieving his son from the boat. I like the Michael character, hell even Franklin's pretty cool. And thank God I don't have my friends calling me all of the time bitching about going bowling.

15. Sephiroth

there is auto-lock and you can change the reticle, just fuck around in the menus a bit, and I agree while driving normally the car i'm driving will sometimes fishtail just because. I also hate shooting while driving, it's one button (LB on 360) to go into aiming mode and it shoots automatically, which is annoying, especially while trying to tag bikers with the tazer.

16. Rincewiend

Yeah, i'm having fun with the game as well...
    I'm just past the point where Micheal and Trevor meat again after 10 years, which is the start of a mission involving Lazlow...
    I like all 3 main characters, though i'm not really fond of Micheal's family or Franklin's friends, though Trevor's buddies are also very fun in a weird way...
    I'm trying to do as many Freaks and Strangers missions as possible, though i'm not going to search for hidden packages etc, but the ones i did are also very funny...
    Apparently there are only like 5 or 6 heists, which is a bit of a bummer though...

17. Sephiroth

^yeah, I was kind of hoping that the heists would be a kind of cookie-cutter thing where you could do all this prep and planning to rob jewelry stores, banks, cluckin' bells, and the whole thing about hiring the crappier hackers/drivers/shooters and their stats getting better? it might if they didn't mess up and die every.damn.time.

18. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm surprised by the lack of heists thus far. I'm about halfway through the game and there's only been two, and the second one (the mini-sub one) didn't even feel like a proper heist because I didn't have to hire anyone for it, just pick between two methods of pulling it off. I just got a call to go visit that guy whose house Michael destroyed early in the game, so I assume he's going to drag me into more heist action, but I wasn't expecting the game to take so long to get into the main heist stuff.

Driving while shooting is a pain, it was much easier in GTA4 even though the mechanics of it are almost exactly the same. I think that the changes to the driving mechanics make car chases much more rapid, making aiming more difficult than it used to be.

19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, that's surprising. I'd have thought that considering how much of a big deal they were making the 3 characters and the heists, that they'd at least have heists as side missions. Or to get the gang together and pull something off in a minigame. Maybe they're saving more heists for a DLC. Or maybe they're counting on user-created content for GTA Online.

20. Rincewiend

Yeah, yesterday i did the mission from the gameplay trailer, where you kidnap that guy from a office-building and you switch between Micheal rapelling from the chopper and Franklin using a sniper rifle...
    But apparently there are also only like 2 of those kind of missions in the game...
    So, maybe 8 or 9 missions total where you use all 3 characters where you can/should switch between them out of 69 missions...
    And i've done only maybe 2 missions where i had Micheal and Franklin working together during some missions...