Star Trek TWOK Blue Ray oddity

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Hi

I got the Original six films blue ray collection for a steel at $40, but I was disappointed. The first film has trouble running, as does the fourth. There are technical glitches all over the place.

Could be my player.

But one thing that is strange is that all the films are the original theatrical versions but they use commentaries from the director editions.

So, in TWOK, when Meyer is talking about the "I knew something about these ships that he didn't" bit, it makes no sense, because that scene is only in the director's version. And it seems to me that now the whole commentary is out of sync because of it?

Did you all notice this?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I haven't listened to the commentaries, but all six films run flawlessly on both my Blu-ray players.

Might want to try and exchange the set?

3. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Yes, they edited the commentary from the 2-disc DVDs and it leaves a few gaps where he was talking about the DC where that ran over into portions that were not part of the DC cut.

Also in the other NEW commentary he doesn't even know he is watching the theatrical cut until about a third of the way thru, when he realizes and says, "wonder why they did that?"

4. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

All my BD's play perfectly, and I haven't read about any technical issues with the discs on any of the AV forums I frequent. I'd say you either have faulty discs, or your players firmware version is the problem.

5. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

He's not talking about a tech glitch--hes talking about the editing out of comments about the DC cause the commentary to be off at various point where they had to move the commentary up or back or leave blank space till the comments 'catch-up' again.

At least that's what I noticed listening to it.

6. BillJ

I think the original poster was talking about two separate issues. Maybe he could verify?

7. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yes I was talking about two separate issues.

The first was problems with the disks playing correctly.

But the more interesting problem is that the commentaries can't be in sync. Meyer was talking about the "I knew something about these ships that he didn't" scene after we've already moved to the next scene because he was originally commentating over the director's cut, which has that bit.

8. BillJ

You might want to try cleaning both discs if it was a used set.

9. Flying Spaghetti Monster

My set was new. But very glitchy.

10. BillJ

Then I would definitely exchange it. :techman:

11. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Well who knows if they'll even take it back. I bought it months ago when it was on sale (before the new film came out, and the sale was probably in conjunction with it) but I never opened it, and then my father passed away and I've been travelling a lot to deal with that. When I got home I noticed that the first and fouth films were particularly glitchy.
    I don't know what to do.

12. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

As BillJ suggests, it's definitely worth giving the disc surfaces a gentle wipe with a soft lint free cloth to remove any grease/thumbprints etc.

As I mentioned up thread, there's a small chance the firmware version on your machine is out of date - but if it's playing the other movies - it's pretty unlikely. However, it's (usually) not a bad thing to update your firmware anyway.

You've got nothing to lose by at least attempting a return, they can only say no!

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

thank you for advice!

With all that was happening with my family, it has been hard for me to think much about this. But now that the services are over, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks again

14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Also, TWOK on blue ray has an ugly, blue look. I actually prefer the director's edition DVD

15. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

16. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

What makes you think that anyone even asked Nick Meyer to approve these color "corrections"? I don't think he was involved with the BD transfer.

17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Before we get to that, it's not just me seeing things, is it?
    I'm going to compare both versions tonight, but if I recall correctly, the DVD version was a warm red/ maroon feel, while the blue ray has an ugly cyan look, particularly with the Reliant bridge and the planetoid Regula.

18. SpHeRe31459

Paramount implies as much in the pre-announcement of the release in 2009. http://trekmovie.com/2009/02/16/cbs...y-sets-tos-s1-all-tos-movies-coming-aprilmay/

"Special care has been given to the Blu-ray version of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, which has been ‘fully restored’ in a process similar to Paramount’s recent Blu-ray edition of The Godfather. Director Nicholas Meyer tells us that the Wrath of Khan negative “was in terrible shape” which is why it needed extensive restoration."

Which mind you I call BS on, it was in no way restored with any of the care of The Godfather.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  19. SpHeRe31459

Correct. The 2009 theatrical release (on Blu-ray and eventually DVD) was re-color graded. It was widely talked about when it was first released in 2009.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2460/startrek2_wok.html#Section3

Doing a search for "star trek the wrath of khan blu-ray blue tint" will result in a bunch of threads on A/V review sites and Amazon reviews pointing it out.

Here is a forum thread with screen shots from different versions of TWOK (satellite HD broadcast, DVD, Blu-ray) and you can clearly see the blue tone was introduced in 2009 (click on the spoiler tag to expand the images to larger size):
    http://www.avsforum.com/t/1146477/s...llection-comparison-pix-reviews#post_16443616

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That's not the case here, TWOK on blu ray is all over the place, it seems they didn't do any color grading at all.