How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmmm.

Abbie Elliot?

Possibly the mother, probably not.

2. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Not by the way they describe her character...

3. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

My guess is that either Abby Elliott or Ashley Benson (who also will have a few episodes this year), one of them is going to end up being Barney's as yet unseen half-sister. And Ted will try to date them.

4. Guy Gardener

Is the half sister half black or was mommy eating even more flavours of ice cream while she was pregnant other than vanilla and chocolate?

5. tighr

Half-sister on his dad's side. Two season's ago, we were introduced to Barney's dad, who turned out to be John Lithgow. He has a family with a son and daughter who live in the burbs.

6. Guy Gardener

John Litglow tastes like Vanilla, who knew?

7. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ Can't say I'm happy about that. I enjoy the show, but it's time to meet the mother and pack it in.

The 9th season will have to be the last. The mother has to get pregnant in the summer of 2014 at the latest, given that we saw a baby in the 2015 flashforward. It's interesting if you think about it. If Ted doesn't meet her until May of 2014, it doesn't leave much time between meeting someone and having a kid on the way. Maybe he had to settle down with her because she got pregnant.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

They can still introduce the mother and continue the show. Screw the title of the show.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I really, really, REALLY hope we meet Mother in the season finale, and spend an entire season with her and Ted falling in love, seeing how she interacts with the group, getting knocked up....

11. JarodRussell

It kinda needs to be, because it would be an incredible cop out if they didn't. They spent so much time on women that were never going to be the mother, but the mother would then be like, "Oh look, here she is, and The End."

12. Agent Richard07

I wonder if they can introduce the mother but do it in such a way that the audience doesn't even suspect it's her until that fact is revealed. That would be pretty difficult to pull off.

13. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

They have to really nail the casting and character of the Mother as well, she has all these years worth of expectation to live up to.

14. Agent Richard07

If she'll be appearing in just an episode or two, I wonder if they'll get a big name actress like Anne Hathaway or someone along those lines.

15. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

They've written themselves pretty much into a corner throughout the show.

It was repeatedly stated that Ted met the mother at a wedding.. we've had several weddings in the show and Ted has met some women there (including Victoria who was a favorite to be the mother and would have been if the show got cancelled early) but i think they said it outright in the last season finale that Barney's and Robin's wedding would be THE wedding so it has to happen in this season finale.

Of course the writers can cop out and have Ted meet several women at the wedding and play the game up until the show finale (and i wouldn't put it past the producers) but it would be even lamer than the way the show already is concerning the mother storyline.

Have her appear at the wedding and spend the final season getting them to fall in love and marry them in the show finale (and then in the final scene have her appear past the kids to tell her side of the story leading to the spin off "How i met your father" :devil:).

16. Agent Richard07

^ All they have to do is push the wedding to 2014. Guess we'll see what they actually do.

The idea of having Ted meet several women and the audience guessing which one will be the mother is a good one though.

17. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm assuming the wedding will be in the season finale and he meets the mother. I wouldn't be surprised if they went several episodes with him dating this new woman but they never show her face or something stupid.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Oh god they'll probably do that for like half a season or something :-x

Remember that did that with Stella in Season Three for several episodes.

Hey, I just realized something. Why did the series begin with Ted meeting Robin, if the story is him telling his kids how he met their Mother? Because he meets the Mother at Robin's wedding! :)

19. JarodRussell

He meets the mother at his wedding with Robin. ;)

20. tighr

That's been the running theory. Robin must be instrumental to Ted meet the mother, because she makes a good starting point for his story to the kids. Otherwise, we would have started the show with Ted meeting Barney first (and by the time the series started, Ted had been friends with Barney for 4-5 years already).