sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

I don't understand why you're so ferociously resisting this idea. You haven't even seen the damn show, so it's not like you're actually qualified to make assumptions about what it will or won't be. So why can't you just wait and see instead of being so pointlessly stubborn and argumentative? I'm done wasting my time trying to reason with you. When the show actually premieres, you will find out what it's like.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, see, if you look back, you'll notice that I'm not ferociously resisting anything. I just made an offhand joke and you went off on one of your defensive rampages again. ;)

3. Christopher

"Defensive rampage?" Hardly. I have no reason to be defensive when I have no personal stake in this. I was simply trying to clarify the facts and explain to you why Weird Desk was more similar to SHIELD than the glib X-Files comparison would suggest. But as so often happens on the Internet, we ended up talking past each other or not hearing each other.

Frankly, text communication sucks. It's not how we evolved to interact. Without nonverbal cues, misunderstandings become inescapable and it's all too easy to perceive hostility or negativity where none was intended.

4. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is unfortunate. I guess I can cut down to just Defiance in the list of new SF&F programs I'm looking forward to.

I see The Almighty Johnsons advertised a lot on Syfy - the original, presumably - but it never looks that interesting.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

So does that leave Starz's Incursion as the only prospective space adventure series on the horizon, even possibly?

6. RJDiogenes

^^ As far as I can remember, unfortunately.

That is certainly true. :)

Very unfortunate. The guy is a great talent. If given the chance, he could create something in the same league as Star Trek, Stargate, Babylon 5, Farscape, Firefly....

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

As a veteran of countless sales conferences, marketing meetings, and pitch sessions, I'll cop to using this kind of shorthand all the time. Like Christopher says, it's a quick-and-dirty way to get an idea across to a room full of jaded sales reps . . .

"It's THE HUNGER GAMES with elves . . ."

"It's TEN LITTLE INDIANS meets HARRY POTTER."

"It's LES MISERABLES in space . . . ."

In reality, of course, those are usually wild over-simplifications of very interesting, complicated stories, but when you only have two minutes (or less) to present a pitch, you can't get into detail about the book's nuanced exploration of the social implications of genetic engineering, not to mention the heroine's complicated, morally ambiguous relationship with her undead clone . . . .

"It's like BLADE RUNNER, but with vampires."

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  8. Temis the Vorta

With Ben Browder as Jean Valjean? SOLD! :D

9. Greg Cox

Works for me!

And Claudia Black as Javert!

10. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But then who does Wayne Pygram play?

11. Temis the Vorta

Oh he's gotta be Javert!

Claudia can be Madame Thenardier. :D

12. Temis the Vorta

Zen koan for the day: how do you "reboot" an anthology series? Redo all the stories but change the endings? (Turns out it wasn't a cookbook after all!)

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So is this the third or fourth Twilight Zone?

14. Greg Cox

Fifth, counting the movie!

15. Christopher

Actually I tend to think of the syndicated third season of the '80s series (whose writing staff was anchored by J. Michael Straczynski, a pretty good Serling mimic) as virtually a different show from the first two seasons on CBS. So maybe five and a half versions.

Oh, and I gather Leonardo DiCaprio is developing a TZ-branded movie, although it would be based on just one TZ episode rather than being an anthology like the previous movie. Plus Real Steel was based on a short story previously adapted as a TZ episode.

16. RJDiogenes

Well, this is interesting, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I'd love to see another well-done Twilight Zone series. The 80s revival (both the network and syndicated pieces) was very good, but the more recent one sucked (and the movie was mediocre). Seeing Bryan Singer's name gives reason for cautious optimism.

Secondly, if CBS studios is developing a new Twilight Zone series, that makes it seem more likely that they will want to develop a new Star Trek series-- perhaps even as a companion to Twilight Zone as a night of classic revivals. Fingers crossed....

17. Christopher

I didn't care for the CBS version of the '80s TZ. It had some good installments here and there, but overall it didn't really feel like TZ to me. The syndicated season that followed came the closest to the original, I felt. I believe it even adapted one or two unfilmed scripts from the original show. (Although Spielberg's Amazing Stories did one too, a Richard Matheson piece called "The Doll.")

18. Greg Cox

Ditto for The Box. Based on the episode (and story) "Button, Button."

All by Matheson, of course.

19. Christopher

"Button, Button" was an episode of the '80s revival, though, not the original show.

20. Greg Cox

True. But it does count as another movie based on a TZ episode, if not based one of the classic originals.

(And I published tie-in editions for both!)