Smallville Season 11, it"s happening...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ncc71877, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was Gary Frank art work? Didn't seem like it to me at the time.

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Dean Cain was to play Vandal Savage in 'Smallville'

Miller should bring Knox back for the comic and make him Vandal Savage for real this time.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

That makes sense. It was clearly Vandal Savage even without the name. In fact he was closer to the comic book version than some of Smallville's adaptations of characters who had their names!

The change worked very well. It makes sense that Savage would use different names and identities over the years.

I wonder what the New Line film was?

4. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Huh. I always just assumed it was creative license on their part to rename Savage (though I could never think of why they would). Interesting that there was actually a reason.

Now you've gone and reminded me of the bastardization they called "Mikhail Mxyzptlk". Thanks a bunch. :(

5. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

So I just read Smallville #8 and all I can say is... wow! Best issue EVER! The Superman Vs. Sam Lane battle royale was a fast, funny and breathtaking action sequence. I loved that Miller was able to get Lois into the fight and establish definitively that Sam Lane does not know Superman's secret identity.

It looks like Sam Lane was having an ethical crisis during the fight. He's not Thunderbolt Ross or Captain Nemo out to carve himself some Hulk/Dick meat. He's got a job to do but that doesn't mean he feels good about. It seems he's at odds with both Luthor and his superiors about the Superman situation. I get the impression that he respects Supes' power and that respect was increased by a factor of ten when Superman saves Lois from Sam's own folly.

Superman during the battle was calm, self-assured and quite funny. His quips during the fight very much reminded me of the way Siegel & Shuster's Golden Age Superman used to joke during a brawl.

The Luthor/Tess angle became faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more interesting this issue. The memory toxin Tess dosed him with comes from the Smallville mythos tying in with the Summerholt and Belle Reve eps. It also seems to imply that Tess isn't a hallucination of Lex and that she may very well have used the virus to upload her personality into his head. Very Return of the Joker.

Thanks Brian! Can't wait 'til next Friday! :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  6. Admiral_Young

Oh how I love this comic...why is it when the show is OVER we get the awesomeness that we are getting NOW? Oh boy what an issue.

Sam Lane in "Smallville" isn't the diabolical hardlined general he was in the DCU comics prior to the relaunch. He seems to be a good man who just takes his duty very seriously and is in league with questionable people...Luthor? I believe the New 52 Sam Lane collaborated with Lex as well, as did the Secret Origin version. It was the DCU version that hated Superman with a passion and didn't like Clark. That doesn't seem to be the case with this version. I could hear Michael Ironside voicing this dialogue.

Lex and Tess...yeah Admiral James Kirk I agree with regarding the memories. As you say, fantastic tying it in with the Summerholt plot. Oh and the end...with the drones...oh boy. BEST SEASON EVER!!!

7. Admiral James Kirk

I FORGOT THE DRONES! There was just too much awesomeness in this issue for me to take it all in! Fuckin' fantastic comic! :D

8. Admiral_Young

Oh, I have to say that while I was skeptical at first...the art has been fantastic. Everyone looks great and the likeness of most of the characters is intact...my one problem is that I still don't see enough of Tom in Clark/Superman...but that's okay.

9. Admiral James Kirk

I see enough Tom in the comics Clark. Didn't see enough Tom in the television series Superman though. ;) Ah well, Brian's making it up to me now. :D

10. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I would love to see that; I greatly enjoyed Dean's one-ep stint, and kept hoping they would bring him back as Savage in name, especially after Rosey left the show. He would've made a great replacement nemesis for Clark in Lex's absence.

I'm still behind everyone else in my reading, just finished #2.

11. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Does that mean that this Clark has more than just three facial expressions?

:lol:

12. Admiral James Kirk

Now, now it's not Tom's fault he has the emotional range of a cantaloupe. :D

13. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

That may be generous, but I'll go with it!

I think I'm going to log into my Comixology account and read #3 now.

:techman:

14. Admiral James Kirk

Hell yes! It would be nice to have a third guy posting in this thread. :)

15. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

Thanks for that! I'll probably remain an issue or two behind you and Admiral Young, but I've greatly enjoyed reading your posts and knowing that this series keeps getting better.

Issue 3 was good, but seemed a bit short to me. Am I wrong about that?

:confused:

16. Admiral James Kirk

Ahhhh thanks, I appreciate that. This series has been a really splendid surprise. I never had any pent up hatred for the show but I also never regarded it as anything more than disposable entertainment.

Who knew a comic based on the show would actually be really good? :)

It's hard to tell. I read the thing panel by panel on Comixology so it always seems too short to me. :)

17. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Same here, it's a little different than reading a physical comic would be. And I haven't been able to find the printed versions anywhere, so the digital issues are fine with me. I may stockpile a few right before vacation to take on the road.

18. Admiral James Kirk

I need to get a Kindle Fire so I can stop reading these things on my laptop. :lol:

19. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Well, I didn't find the Fire to be all that user-friendly; I tried that, a Nook Color and an Ematic, and decided that none of them were a good substitute for my laptop. OTOH, I greatly enjoy my Sony e-ink reader. Easy to use, fits nicely in my hand.

;)

20. Admiral James Kirk

I'm an Amazon man through and through, though. :D