Digital comics are they worth it ? disscussion and comments:

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by timothy, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And you didn't think the Joker becoming an Iranian ambassador was a little odd and, dare I say, preposterously stupid and maybe even a little ignorant?

And I say this as someone who believes Carter should have terror bombed Isfahan, Tabriz, Sheraz and Bandar Abbas until they released the hostages (or maybe just destroyed the oil infrastructure, whatever works).

[​IMG]

Ugh. Frank Miller wishes he could be this offensive.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, that didn't happen yet. But yeah, you posted there is pretty bad.
    I only read the first issue so far, and all that's happened is Joker stole a cruise missile and sold it to some terrorists.

3. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Did you start over from the very beginning or from the 90s series? If you started from the 60s series, I'd actually say skip most of the rest. For all intents and purposes, it's not all that great. There's some important stuff like the first appearances of Polaris (49) and Havok (65). Even Banshee is almost unrecognizable. The series really got going with Giant Size X-Men #1 and subsequently X-Men #94, with the introductions of Nightcrawler, Storm, Colossus, and of course, Wolverine.

4. Myasishchev

Crap. Oops. I missed the "first issue" bit. Sorry about the spoilerriffic post. :(

There's a secret part of me actually likes the crazy over-the-top nonsense inherent in the premise though. It's sort of like when the U.S. elects Lex Luthor, it's got something of an interesting idea in it. But the Joker? Maybe this was before he was well-known as a complete liability.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

What are the issues that deal with Lex becoming President? That's one of the stories I've been very curious about. I've seen the Public Enemies movie, but I don't think that really got into the events that lead the his election, I think it just started with him becoming President.

6. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe he became president leading into ww3 shortly after the hole red/blue superman story.

and when I say #1 of x-men I am referring to the begining in 1960's.

7. Myasishchev

You got me. I assume the Superman books in 2004. It was quickly and stupidly resolved in Superman/Batman, I know that. "How do we write this new dangerous status quo for our hero?" "We have the villain go batshit insane. You know, like you do when you've gained leverage over your enemy." It crashed and burned even harder than the Smiler's presidency in Transmetropolitan.

8. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

God, Public Enemies is so awful.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

10. timothy

which is awesome news because I believe the new NC2 comes out today. yes!!

11. timothy

okay buffy season 8 is now aviable @ digital dark horse.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just posted this on the Trek Lit board, and thought it might a good idea to post this here for those who don't hang out there.
    I just wanted to let anyone who is interested know that IDW now has most of IDW's Trek comics available digitally.
    Here's what they have:
    Star Trek Archives: The Best of the Borg, The Best of Peter David #1-#5
    Alien Spotlight Vol. 1
    Assignment Earth Vol. 1
    Burden of Knowledge
    Captain's Log
    Countdown (both collected and individually)
    Fool's Gold
    Infestation
    Kahn: Ruling in Hell
    Leonard McCoy: Frontier Doctor
    Mirror Images
    Mission's End
    Movie Adaptation
    Nero
    New Frontier: Turnaround
    Star Trek: Ongoing #1-#2
    Romulan: Schims
    Romulans: The Hollow Crown
    Spock: Reflections
    Ghosts
    The Enterprise Experiment
    Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes #1-#2
    So that means all they are missing right now, is The Space Between, Blood Will Tell, Intelligence Gathering, The Last Generation, and Alien Spotlight II.

13. timothy

great news ^!!
    I can't wait till I get my new nc2 I am all so torn about the kindle fire cause of the amazon prime stuff.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The complete schedule for the release of Dark Horse's Buffy backlog...

Source.

15. timothy

very cool I hope they get around to doing the older buffy and angel stuff as well.

16. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

I've very recently come back into comics and have used the like of ComiXology to get a taster of what is out there, whose writing I like and whose art I don't and the free issues have been a minefield of new material for me.

Yet, perhaps it is the physicality of the book itself, but I much prefer reading my material from a page rather than my PC screen, iPhone/Pad etc.

I came across a report on Mark Miller's take on the whole Digital realm of comics, and I find myself very much supporting his argument. l I may not like that much of his material, but he makes sense (here) to me at least, especially around same day release:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35602

Hugo - slowly building his little comic mountain

17. timothy

I've come to love digital comics there cheaper and you don't have to by boxes or bags and boards. digital dark horse gets better every time I go there and now on my NC2 I can get my other titles. now I saved up $250 I can get the comixology star trek special and digital dark horse star wars special. it all so gives me a chance to get into other universe's.

I now reading walking dead, by the what is up with walking dead weakly is it part of the main story arc? and I am all so reading powers from image as well.
    so I am all for digital comics. all so began reading Hell boy for the first time.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, I mean that's what really sucks about collecting comics is the whole... collecting part.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Collecting in general seems to have gone by the way side in recent years not just for comics. I never collected comics. I always have bought them to read them.

@Timothy what older Buffy and Angel stuff are you talking about? Remember Dark Horse only recently purchased the rights to Buffy and Angel this year so I'm correct, they only have the rights to basically Angel and Faith and up to Buffy Season Eight. IDW still owns the rest of the catalogue. In fact they just released last week a 100 page Angel special or something like that. So what I'm trying to say is that IDW will be the ones who will release their back catalogue digitally. I might be mistaken on this but i don't think so.

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Even then, I still like having a physical copy I can get to any time I want, hold in my hands, and actually have contact with. I couldn't get that same satisfaction from an e-Reader. Hell, it's even hard to appreciate the artwork in something unless you're holding it in your hands. Would a full-page or two-page spread/splash page have the same impact on a small screen as opposed to a book you can actually hold.

Then there's the whole issue of how assured are you of getting to "keep" your collection forever when it's only assessable from a server somewhere that may or not depend on a stream of money to maintain?

I buy a comic book for $4 it's mine forever. I buy a digital copy I only have it so long as I maintain my account at $5/month or whatever the rate is.