Baltimore! ... oh, shit. Now what?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Timby, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Much better....now. ;)

2. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

We're hoping to relocate to Pittsburgh this year, which means I'll be doing Shore Leave which is in Baltimore each year. We might actually meet at some point.

Baltimore though. You poor bastard!

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKaHuLMg9tY[/yt]

4. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Well we will be relocating soon as well, my wife tendered her resignation this morning. We will be moving upstate, to the Syracuse area. She has to give six months notices, so her last day will be March 29th 2013. So we have sometime to look for a house to purchase up there. We already made one trip up looking at houses and I'm planning to go up at the end of the month to look at some more. Really looking forward to moving up there.

5. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

We are looking forward to visiting Baltimore just to go see the Orioles. Actually, having read some of the above posts, we are anxious to try the food too.

Pittsburgh is also high on my list. Pirates are my NL team and am hoping for an inter-league Jays/Pirates matchup.

The last time we visited Syracuse there was a lot of housing on the market. Good luck to you both in finding something nice.

6. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I'm actually looking forward to it. The job is pretty much a dream opportunity, and I would have been an idiot to turn it down. As for the city itself, my impression was that it's very similar to Milwaukee in terms of its layout and such. I enjoyed my time there, however brief it was, back in 2010, so I'm looking forward to this.

Getting used to Eastern time is going to be a bitch, though.

[​IMG]

7. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Good luck with the move and the new job, Timby. Baltimore's a nice area. I've visited it time to time, especially when I was still in the DC area. I'm not familiar with the immediate Baltimore area beyond names of some suburbs. I had a friend who lived in Owings Mills to the northwest, but it would be quite a drive to work.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Baltimore's mass transit system isn't huge, but it is helpful. Probably the light rail is more useful than the subway. I always like it when a city's major airport has a transit stop, and BAL does.

Plus, if you plan on going to DC a lot, or indeed at all, Baltimore and DC's transit system farecards (Baltimore's CharmCard and DC's SmarTrip) can be used in each other's systems.

9. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The last time a city smelled bad to me was your beloved New York in August. The whole place smelled like hot garbage. Although after a day or so I got used to it.
    I'll take NY in the spring, fall, or winter, but never again in the summer.

Oh, and Baltimore was great for the brief time I was there. We took a tour of Camden Yards (unfortunately the O's were out of town), and visited Babe Ruth's birthplace and museum just a few blocks away. Very cool!

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Oh, I didn't know that. That's good to know.

11. CmdrAJD

CmdrAJD Commodore Commodore

I live to the northwest of the city, and you're absolutely right that it would not be a great drive to Canton from there.

Owings Mills is the start of the city's subway line...it's one line at the moment. It only goes from Owings Mills to downtown and ends at Johns Hopkins. The Charles Street exit is very convenient for visiting the Inner Harbor, but the subway wouldn't be much help getting to Canton. I don't think the light rail runs near there either.

12. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

You're right. If they build the controversial east-west line (I think they're calling it the Red Line?), it will, but that won't happen for years, if ever.

13. Finn

I remember a metro station and a rail passing the convention center at inner harbor

14. Mr. Laser Beam

^ There's transit access down by the harbor. When I visited Camden Yards I stayed at a Marriott that was a block away, and there's a light rail stop directly adjacent to the ballpark. It's only a short walk from there to the harbor.

15. CmdrAJD

CmdrAJD Commodore Commodore

Light rail is great for getting to the ballparks. It's no help for Canton, though.

16. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I love Inner Harbor, we have real good friends who live there. We'll be down there visiting in November.

17. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Well, I've got my plane tickets (MSN - ATL - RDU - BWI, with the first flight leaving at 6:01 a.m. [​IMG]), so it's finally getting real. Three weeks from today, I'll be in Baltimore.

oh shit I don't have a place to live yet and I leave in three weeks what have I done

18. Finn

^three weeks. meh

I've done it all in two weeks ;)

19. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Apartmentfinder.com

20. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I live in Canton. My new wife and I just moved there into a completely renovated rowhouse (although she lived in Canton for years before I ever even met her). She doesn't drive and uses public transportation, so she'd know that kind of stuff better than me. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.