Favorite Comic Based Superhero TV Shows

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Close enough for me. I think of it as an homage to comics. I real one, not a BS one like Heroes.

2. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Well, duh. It's a pilot. It's the origin story for that version of the character. Christopher already mentioned STM. I add the suggestion to rewatch the pilot of "Lois & Clark" and see how much time he spends in that one doing Superman-y things.

What I actually consider a weak spot in "Last Son of Krypton" is how we never actually learn how and why Clark Kent decides to help people, and why he dons a costume to do it.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was kinda surprised when it pretty much jumped from Smallville to him in Metropolis already doing the Superman thing.
    Oh, and I thought it was really cool that the whole first episode focused on Jor-El.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Heck, he doesn't spend much time doing Superman stuff in the whole first season of Lois and Clark. The original idea was never to actually see Superman at all, and though that obviously didn't, err, fly, they tended to keep the superheroics pretty minimal. I recall at least one first-season episode where Superman only appeared in costume for less than a minute in the teaser and then it was all Clark for the rest of the episode (that might've been the one where he went home to Smallville and had his first encounter with kryptonite).

I'm not sure I consider that a weakness. Maybe Superman is just intrinsically good. I have no problem with that interpretation. I think that generally people do have an instinct to help one another, and what demands an explanation is why someone wouldn't try to help. We're a social species by nature; cooperative action and mutual assistance are part of our survival strategy. And that crosses species lines -- humans rescuing stray animals, dolphins rescuing drowning humans. Heck, we're often more driven to be compassionate toward other species than to our own, because we don't feel the same competition toward members of other species. So to me it makes perfect sense that a Kryptonian would feel instinctively motivated to help and protect us fragile humans.

As for the costume, well, it just seems to be part of that world. None of the other DCAU characters really had their use of costumes explained. It was just something that crimefighters did.

5. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Yep, I remember that one. Although he still kinda did "Superman-y things", just not in costume.

I'm not sure I consider that a weakness. Maybe Superman is just intrinsically good. I have no problem with that interpretation. I think that generally people do have an instinct to help one another, and what demands an explanation is why someone wouldn't try to help. We're a social species by nature; cooperative action and mutual assistance are part of our survival strategy. And that crosses species lines -- humans rescuing stray animals, dolphins rescuing drowning humans. Heck, we're often more driven to be compassionate toward other species than to our own, because we don't feel the same competition toward members of other species. So to me it makes perfect sense that a Kryptonian would feel instinctively motivated to help and protect us fragile humans.[/QUOTE]

I, too, think it's best to portray Superman as doing these things out of the good of his heart, but I also think it would be inspiring to actually experience Superman seeing the need for a hero. I think "Birthright" did very well in that regard.

Well, Batman's need for a costume was explained in "Mask of the Phantasm".

6. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Batman:Gotham Knights 1997-1999 animated tv series, The Batman 2004-2008 animated tv series, Flash Gordon 1979-1981 animated tv series(Filmation), Wonder Woman 1975-1979 live-action tv series(Lynda Carter)

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't really feel like starting a whole other thread for a slightly related question, so I'm just gonna ask it here.
    Are Iron Man: Armored Adventures and Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes worth watching? I've been debating checking them out on Marvel.com, but I was curious to here some opinions first.

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Armored Adventures, Yes.

World's Greatest Heroes, sadly No.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I definitely enjoyed FF 2000s more than Iron Man 2000s. I thought FF was pretty faithful to the comics without being stupid, whereas Teen Iron Man with the awful cel-shaded graphics was definitely not as entertaining. It didn't help that Iron Man has a pretty lame rogue's gallery, though.

10. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I'll take Tony's teen angst and crappy rogue's gallery over Johnny Storm's paintbrush haircut any day.