Kirk, Spock, or McCoy

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Lucky, Aug 26, 2013.

?

Who is your favorite?

1. Kirk

31 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. Spock

12 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. McCoy

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you'd have asked me a few years ago; I probably would have said, 'Spock' - but these days, for me, it's 'Kirk'.:)

2. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree. :vulcan:

3. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Same here. Spock was my favorite for a long time. But then one day I realized every time I get a craving to watch star trek, in my mind's eye I'm thinking of Kirk.

Shatner was so charismatic as Kirk. He's the reason Kirk is my favorite. On paper, Spock is my favorite. But Shatner brings the intangibles. Nothing against Nimoy who was brilliant of course.

4. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bones, for basically this reason. Most human character on the ship. Spock was half-human and Kirk's starring role frequently required him to be superhuman.

5. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I won't argue that Kirk and Spock have flaws but often they are not as apparent for me as McCoy's. They are often proven to be right in the end.

That being said I love scenes when their flaws are more apparent. For example one of my favorite Spock episodes is Galileo Seven when he realizes "logic" might not always be the best answer.

I think the films also do a better job than the TV series of growing both Kirk & Spock.

That being said I agree with a lot of your other positives of Kirk. Honestly when I started watching the show I didn't think I would like Kirk as much as I do because I am not a big fan of his character type, but there is something about Kirk that makes it work for me and I think a lot of that does have to do with Shatner's charisma & performance ( a similar character I am not a fan of for example is Hogan from Hogan's Heroes). I can understand why his men are so loyal to him because I believe in him too.

6. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

This sums up my feelings on Kirk perfectly. :techman:

7. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I like them all pretty equally...but Spock has a slight edge over the other two.

8. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

It is amazing that, because we love these characters so much, we find it difficult to choose a favorite. Personally, I can't say the same for any of the spinoffs. In TNG, Picard was my favorite, with Data being a distant second, and then maybe Worf. As for the other series, I couldn't even name three from which to choose from each one.

9. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Voted for Spock, but he and McCoy kick each other out of first place for me on a regular basis.

I am totally in the minority here in that I can't stand Kirk. Even as a kid I didn't like him, and I like him less and less the older I get!

10. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't usually like the archetypal all-American action hero but Shatner's charisma performance made me connect with Kirk. His welcoming charisma was what made the world of Star Trek so inviting.

A damn shame all the critics shit on him. He has a few goofy moments, but no more than the rest of the cast.

11. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

I am surprised Spock isn't the most voted for.. He's.. my hero.. I thought he would be everyone's hero.. I'm slightly heartbroken now..:borg:

12. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

Spock is interesting, but he is always having the same internal struggle, which gets dull.

13. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I voted Kirk because he's always been my favorite. I will confess to being surprised that Spock didn't get the top vote. He certainly was the most popular cast member in the 60s, 70s and 80s. When was there a shift in the fanbase to Kirk? I'm not complaining mind you... just curious. :)

14. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't think there is a shift necessarily. I think the results could be very different depending on different factors. And such a low number of votes doesn't prove anything.

I didn't expect Kirk to be the run away favorite but hey good for him.

And I will just continue to show my love for McCoy. :)

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Captain James T. Kirk. My first, and pretty much only, alpha male.

Still swooning after all these years :lol:

16. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

I love McCoy and Spock and I like Kirk. I'll go with Bones.

17. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

I'm a Spock>Bones>Kirk varity. I love Kirk though! He is great! I just love Spock and Bones more.

Also, Anika? Are you Swedish by any chance?

18. mach7

mach7 Commander Red Shirt

Kirk, no question.

I have used his leadership style throughout my adult life.

The guy was flawed, but knew it and used his biases and flaws to his advantage.
    He knew how to make a decision, and when to admit when he was wrong.
    He was always ready get his hands dirty, he would always lead from the front.
    He had true compassion for his crew. He always expected excellence from his crew and himself.

19. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

Not an easy choice, all three are great characters in their own right and in the triumvirate they each represent an important part of anyone´s personality. But if I have to choose, I´ll go with Kirk.