30 minute video diary of Destination Star Trek London

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Welshslider, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Welshslider

Welshslider Commander Red Shirt

2. Unimatrix Zero

Unimatrix Zero Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

That's awesome, thanks.

I don't know where I was when this conference was being publicised but I only found out about it on Saturday - it was too late to go due to other commitments.

I am really gutted I couldn't go to this - as it was quite unprecedented with virtually all the major key players present. The actors are no spring chickens so it's good to catch them while you can.

Righto, off to read the blog and watch the vid. :techman:

3. Welshslider

Hope you like it. Sorry you missed it. Not to stir things in but it really was good. The record breaking attempt was worth the money alone

4. Unimatrix Zero

Just watched the vid - that was fantastic. Really gave me a feel for what it was like - the Wookie impression was hilarious. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. This may well be the last biggest Star Trek Convention...and you went to it! :)

Hope the comedown isn't too bad....

BTW, how much was it all in if you don't mind me asking? (tickets & passes)

5. Welshslider

Glad you liked it. 5 of us went and between us we spent £1200 but thats hotel, tickets, photoshoots and bridge shoot. We had standard tickets (i did have a press pass though so if I didn't have this then the talks would have cost more.) On average it was about £35-£45 for a captain photo and the same again for an autograph. Other cast members were anything from £15 to £25.

6. Unimatrix Zero

Considering that's London, that's not too expensive....

I got the impression that there was great cameraderie amongst the attendees...was I right about that?

7. Welshslider

I love Star Trek, Star Wars and other fandoms but I've always found that Trek fans are the most civilised and friendly. During the queues (and there was a lot of them!) strangers just started talking to each other. One fan came up with a good point. He said that there are over 12000 fans here today and these queues are massive but if it had been any other fandom the place would have been trashed by now. We all helped each other, talked to each other and felt proud of being a Star Trek fan especially when we broke the world record.

8. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

That was great, thanks! And I think it is too cool that you wore an ENT uniform; I must have seen not more than two of those. :cool:

About the camaraderie, for me that was one of the best things about this experience. I talked to people from all over Europe and had a lot of laughs. :)

9. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

I saw tons! Funny how different people see different things. I was surprised at the number of Insurection dress uniforms I saw about the place.

The highlight of the weekend was definitely the queue to get in first thing Saturday morning :rommie:

dJE

10. Miss Lemon

Well, I had a lot of photoshoots and in most cases I waited until that specific photoshoot was almost over before joining the queue. It saved me a lot of time.

So, what were your highlights then, if not the queuing?

My other highlights:
    • Meeting John de Lancie who must have been the kindest person at that conference.
    • Kate Mulgrew's talk; she's one hell of a perfomer and just so funny. I wasn't supposed to be there, but got tickets from some friendly fellow Trekkies. :techman:
    • Having a little chat and laugh with Jeff Combs, and him doodling on my photos.
    • Connor Trinneer making me laugh so hard during the photoshoot that it messed up my photo; I look like I have two chins. :p
    • Gowron and Martok fighting over me. :lol:
    • Being in Damar's strong arms. :luvlove:
    But best of all was meeting William Shatner. Got to see his talk, got his autograph and now I have a picture of me and him that I will treasure the rest of my life. :cool:

11. Welshslider

12. Miss Lemon

It was only at the end of your vid that I realised that I couldn't be in it cause I was at the Shatner talk at that time. :lol:

It's weird to realise I have been in that place for two days and didn't even get to see all of it. I totally missed the Forbidden Planet booth, for example.

Isn't it just too sad to see all those people crowding up before stage B? Why couldn't they have gotten a bigger stage?! :scream:
    I came to London mostly to see the free talks of the DS9 and ENT cast. If I had known there would only be around 300 tickets for each talk, I probably wouldn't have bothered to come. I only managed to get into the Klingon and the ENT talk. :borg:

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I only saw the massive queue for Friday morning, but if there is a DSTL2 I'm sure things like larger a stage B will be incoperated.

14. Alienesse

Alienesse Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, guys! I've been back from DSTL for a couple of days, but the "Trek high" Welshslider mentions is fortunately not so quick to wear off. This was definitely an experience I'll treasure for a long, long time.

First of all, Miss Pumpkin, I so want to smack myself over the head for not reading your PM in due time.:scream: I would have loved to meet you and share that wonderful time with you. Maybe we'll get another chance.

I completely agree that the general atmosphere at a Trekkie gathering like that is one of friendship and communion. I loved being there with people that I didn't really know, but with whom I felt such a strong connection. That's all great.

I pretty much made the best of the event and did as many talks, photo shoots and autographs as I could. Probably THE highlight of the convention for me was seeing the 5 captains together on stage. That was amazing! They're all so nice and funny, and they actually get along in real life. It's great to see how well they work together and they actually seemed excited to be there. In fact, another thing I love about conventions is that the actors themselves are so friendly and you really feel like we're all on the same level, just a huge bunch of friends hanging out for the weekend. :techman:

I was also pretty excited to see and meet William Shatner. He was actually nicer than what I'd heard from various people. He was hilarious during his talk! I managed to get an autograph from him as well.

I also met and got autographs from most of the actors there, and I had a nice little chat of my own with Jeff Combs. What a lovely man he is! Brent Spiner is incredibly cool. When I went to get his autograph, he started singing a song with my name in it. Don't know if he was making it up or if it was a real song, but I was one happy Trekkie at that moment. A few people, including Casey Biggs, were surprised that I'd come all the way from Romania for the con. The invariable remark on the subject was, "Wow, that's dedication!" :lol:

I attended Scott Bakula's two talks, one of Shatner's and one of Pactrick Stewart's. Scott sang again, both times, and it was fantastic. He has an amazing voice. Oh, and he actually sang a few notes from "Faith of the Heart", if you can believe that. :p He didn't want to sing more because a lot of people hate that song, so he sang something from Quantum Leap and "Rocket Man" instead. He really was on a roll last weekend. He was incredibly funny.

I also managed to talk to him during the autograph session. :cool: I thanked him for being so nice to his fans and I got a promise that he'll do another London show if he gets invited. :techman:

Well, anyway, this was a pretty amazing experience for me, even if the organization of the event was a little less than stellar and the merchandise was overpriced. I'm very, very happy I went. ;)

15. Miss Lemon

So let's meet at Fedcon! I'm already planning what costume to wear. :D

16. Alienesse

Alienesse Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ :lol: Eh, I'm probably gonna sit on the fence next year. I've already been to 3 conventions within 2 years. And these things aren't cheap.

17. Miss Lemon

Tell me about it. I won't be able to buy new shoes for months. :borg:

18. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I went to the Las Vegas con last year, so is it wrong of me to say that I'm jealous of all of you who got to attend this?? [especially those of you who got to chat with Jeff Combs ;-)]

Anyway, I'm glad you all had a good time!

19. Miss Lemon

*waves to Shanndee* :)

I remember that picture of you, Jeff and your radiant smile. :D

20. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

*waves back to Miss Pumpkin enthusiastically*

Ah yes, the picture that makes my hubby shake his head, roll his eyes and elicit a long suffering sigh!...but I didn't get any doodles! :(

:lol: