Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

394 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Hi folks! Just popped in to say 'hi'. Which I just did. So ...

Hey, I know, I could tell something about me and my relationship to Star Trek. Let's see ...

My first contact with Star Trek was an audio play cassette of the TNG episode "Haven". I was, like, 5 years old, and up until then, my idea of a spaceship was what Lego and Playmobil had shown me. Small ships that only contain cockpits, room for two or three persons (figurines) at best. So, now I was being told a story (without any images to go with it) that took place on a spaceship with a bridge, a transporter room, a holodeck, and dozens of people (as far as I could tell) on board. As you can imagine, I had to get my head around that one.

When I was eight, TOS and TNG were on tv weekday afternoons (not at the same time, mind you), but my mom only allowed me to watch one episode per week. Thanks to that (and the incredibly high prices of the DVDs) there are still episodes of TOS and TNG that I have not yet seen.
    But our local library had the German editions of James Blish's novelizations of the TOS episodes, and at a flee market, I bought a copy of the TNG novel "Masks" by John Vornholt. Back then, I didn't get the distinctive "The Next Generation", it was simply Star Trek to me (or rather "Raumschiff Enterprise" as it was titled in Germany back then). Still, I understood that there were two different Enterprises with two different crews, so I figured that one was by James Blish and one was by John Vornholt. Just so you know, I have learned better by now.

So, "Star Trek" was the biggest thing for me in my childhood, reading James Blish's novelizations, watching an episode per week, playing with the TNG action figures and my own Star Trek toys build with Lego.
    Well, I lost interest in my teenage years, but I've rediscovered my love for it since.
    I still have that Playmates model of the Enterprise D with lights and sound I got for christmas back when I was nine. And I truely treasure it. Hey, maybe I should get myself some Lego and start building a bridge again.

2. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Hello, welcome to trekbbs :)

3. Kai "the spy"

Why, thank you. :)

4. kirsten187

You're welcome....btw, don't listen to that Satyrquaze - he's just a meany who wishes he could be as lovely as I am. mwhahaha :D

Do you have any favourite characters / actors etc from Star Trek?

5. Kai "the spy"

Right. I'll keep that in mind. ;)

To be honest, I see ST as assemble shows, the characters work mostly off of each other (in those shows that work, anyway). But I really like McCoy (and I don't just say that because of your obvious liking to the character). I'm an idealist, sometimes a bleeding heart, and I can identify with Bones that way. Plus, he's got a great sense of humor. I guess, the TOS crew is probably my favorite ST assemble. Other than that, I really liked Picard (well, he's an obvious one), Dax and T'Pol (although it was obvious that the producers wanted to recreate this "detached sexy babe" thing that worked for Seven of Nine, I just thank the Great Bird of the Galaxy that Jolene Blalock also happened to be a good actress).

As for actors, well, there is actually no actor on ST that I don't like in some way. Well, maybe John Cho, because I really don't get what actually qualified him for Sulu. As for recurring guest stars, I liked Shran very much. And Q. Well, TNG-Q, at least.

6. kirsten187

McCoy? What a good choice :D

7. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

LIES! :p

8. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hello, my name is Joel Szasz, but you can call be by my screen name JES, or by my first name Joel, if you prefer. As for what brought me to this site, of all forums, well we can blame (or thank) the Subspace Comms for that. Whoever is in charge of the approval process there isn't very good at it, and whoever designed the approval process was inconsiderate or not thinking straight, because I couldn't find any information on how long the approval process was supposed to take, or even how to contact to administrator to ask how much longer the process was supposed to take. I can only hope this isn't an indications of things to come for the Subspace Comm, because there is a lot of good artwork there, and I'd hate to think how this might effect the websites affiliated with the Subspace Comm. My apologies if I just seem to be angsting, but you would want to too after waiting about 3 weeks with no reply, you would probably feel like doing so as well. Besides, if my only reason for joining TrekBBS were out of spite to the Subspace Comm, than I wouldn't have gone through the trouble of registering.
    The reason I joined was that I like sketching different starship designs (mostly Starfleet at the moment), and I love looking at other peoples designs, and I plan to start scanning some of my sketches on a weekly basis to show them to other people, refine them, and eventually do at least my favorites in Illustrator. Overall, I hope to be inspired, inspire, meet a lot of new alike minds, make a lot of new acquaintances, and make at least a few new friends. Now, once your done reading/responding to this post, for those of whom are interested, I willing be posting the first of what will probably be many of my work for all to view.

9. kirsten187

See? He's starting it again! You nasty person, you. :p

Hi Joel, welcome to trekbbs :)

10. JES

Thank you. Glad to be here.:D

11. Kai "the spy"

Welcome from me too, JES. From one newbie to another.

12. PikeFan

PikeFan Commander Red Shirt

Lovin this place :) Glad to be here, people are more friendly here. :)

13. JES

@Kai "the spy": Thank you. Seems only right that I return the same, so uh, welcome to you too.

Not that I'm really a newbie when it comes to forum blogging, this is just the first Trek forum that I've ever been on.

@PikeFan: More friendly compared to where? Just curious.

14. Kai "the spy"

Well, technically, one has to have been in a place already to welcome someone to it, but I appreciate the sentiment. And, please, excuse my nitpicking. It's a childhood trauma. Both my parents were teachers. Couldn't help it but pick up their smart-assness.

I'm no newbie to forums in general, either. Isn't even my first Trek forum, but my first international (aka English language) one.

15. jeskawest

jeskawest Ensign Red Shirt

Hello! I thought I had introduced myself already, but I guess not. I love Star Trek in general, but my favorite is TNG, which I grew up watching. I love all the movies as well. I am actually currently rewatching all of TNG straight through, via Netflix. <3

16. PikeFan

The official Trek boards. I stopped posting in the VOY boards a LONG time ago. The attitude there was if you like Chakotay or J/C you're not allowed to post without being attacked....

Hey jeskawest!

17. Kai "the spy"

You joined exactly two days after I did, so I can say 'Welcome' without contradicting myself. Ah, life is good.

By the way, welcome, jeskawest!
    [​IMG]

18. infinix

infinix Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm brand spanking new here. Been a Trekkie since 1990. One of the first episodes I watched were "The Best of Both Worlds" and I was hooked. Continued to watch DS9, loved that as well. Watched VOY on and off for reasons I wouldn't go into here. Never watched any of the ENT episodes because my life had become too busy by then.

Like almost all of the movies for what they were. Doesn't have a huge issue with the JJ Abram reboot of the originals since I never had great allegiance to it to begin with. I'm very glad to be here.

One question though. How do people choose to become ranked in the different species? Most people here have Federation ranks, but I think I saw a few Cardassian ranks here and there. Thanks.

19. PikeFan

Hi Kai and infinix!

20. Kai "the spy"

@infinix: Hi there, and welcome aboard.

@PikeFan: Nononono, you joined a full ten days after me, so you seriously can't welcome me. ... Except that you didn't and just said 'hi'. Yes, uhm, ... Hi!

Am I thinking too much about this stuff?