Iron Man

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know everyone and his dog has already seen this but I waited for it to come out on DVD. It was pretty much as I anticipated: a serviceable plotline, and Robert Downey Jr. kicked it right into the stratosphere. :bolian:

Favorite scene: Tony Stark testing out his power gloves by blowing up his lab while the TV plays atrocities in the background. That is what a great actor can bring to a movie. Who needs dialogue? Who needs a screenwriter? :rommie: Great stuff!

Marvel is onto something great here. Edward Norton as Bruce Banner, Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury - just cast Captain America well and throw them into some movies together with the requisite ZAP POW action scenes. The characters are what will carry the stories.

The S.H.I.E.L.D. gag was good. Duh, I didn't get it till the end. :rommie:

2. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

There were several bits that I enjoyed, including the "revenge" that Iron Man allowed some of the villagers to have on one of the terrorist leaders. Yeah, that scene was a bit hokey perhaps... but I was jazzed at that point. :lol:

What did you think of the way they humanized the robot in Stark's lab as well as "Jarvis", the AI for his computer system?

3. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I kinda liked computer-Jarvis, although a human Jarvis would have been nice to have too, given that Jarvis has had such a rich history with the Avengers. But I have to admit, Jarvis was pretty good.

Iron Man and Hulk worked well on soo sooo soooo many levels. Good actors. Good stories. Good effects. Its about damn time that Marvel has given us some truly GOOD movies. Sure some of the other Marvel movies were better than nearly anything DC has given us, but there were plenty of stinkers. Good actors, but bad stories. Bad actors but okay stories. Nothing that worked on all levels.

I've seen Iron Man at least a dozen times since I got the DVD and I have to say, it hasn't gotten old. Granted now I'm getting pretty good at knowing all/most of the lines. But it still makes me laugh, still makes me go "YEAHHHH!" when Iron Man punches it the first time.

Honestly Iron Man beats Dark Knight in my book. DK was good, but intense. I really didn't laugh that much during it. Iron Man, I had a big grin on my face for most of the movie. DK, not so much.

4. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I have to give Marvel a lot of credit with these films: they're very exceptionally well done (much better than those horrible Spider-Man films).

5. Temis the Vorta

I actually found AI-Jarvis kind of annoying. I think I've seen that schtick too many times. :rommie: Maybe it would have been better to forget that character altogether.

The robot was fun, tho, in an old-time Star Wars sort of way.

6. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ The robot was my favorite character. Especially when it kept using the fire extinguisher.

7. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Iron Man shows that a good director and cast can really elevate the material and make it fun.

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Somewhere Tim Story's(FF) ears are burning. I think the key word here is fun cause Nolan elevated Batman as well. Its just those films are so serious and dark that there is an overall missing element of fun while you watch it. Iron Man had a great balance. Some edgier moments while being captive. Those lighter moments while testing the armor. The heroic moments saving the villagers.

I only hope that the the bar isn't set to high for the next one come 2010.

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

S.H.I.E.L.D originally stood for "Supreme Headquarters, International Espionage Law Enforcement Division". The joke reflects Marvel's desperate search for a new name that makes more sense. (shrug)

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if the more recent S.W.O.R.D. organization will show up. I doubt it but it would be interesting. Maybe in an Avengers movie.

11. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Best line in the movie:

Tony (to Pepper): You've caught me doing much worse things."

:)

12. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

"If you douse me again, and I'm not on fire, I'm donating you to a city college!"

13. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Iron Man is so far still the best movie of this year. It was an awesome flick, and a worthy addition to my collection.

14. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

...you waited through the credits like a good girl didn't ya? Nice easter egg there. :)

15. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just watched it for the first time a few days ago and I enjoyed it. The only major disappointment I had with the film was that the big fight scene they were building up for most of the film was so short since Tony only has his prototype power supply.

Robert Downey Jr. really did a great job and was pretty much a perfect fit for the character.

16. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

From a sheer enjoyment standpoint, Iron Man was more fun than the Dark Knight and much easier to sit through. I would enjoy seeing more in the future, definitely.

Unfortunately, for every Marvel film that hits the right notes, there are three or four that miss the boat altogether (Fantastic Four, X-Men 3, etc).

17. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

One of the best actor-role combos I've ever seen... :D
    [​IMG]

18. Temis the Vorta

Zapped the credits to get to the end. I always check that on DVDs. :D

19. Pensive

Pensive Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Same here-- this movie is still as fun as the first time I saw it :)

20. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

Iron Man = Best Marvel Movie ever

The Incredible Hulk (2008) = Second Best Marvel movie ever