DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Today I'm getting

All-Star Western #3
    Aquaman #3
    I, Vampire #3 (it has till the end of the arc to WOW me)
    Alpha Flight #6(was going to drop it after the orig 8 ish when Marvel made it an ongoing, then they changed their mind. Hope it finishes strong.)

Trekker, according to Diamond TMNT #4 is not solicited(cause I'm getting it also). They do however finally have the first collected HC coming out, about 2 months later than first solicited.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Then I'm guessing TMNT #4 is next week? Because I don't think there's been a November book yet.

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I picked up Red Hood and the Outlaws for the same reason. I wanted to see what all the hype was about. It wasn't for me though and I dropped the title, but picked up issue #3 yesterday after some of the comments here.

Red Hood and the Outlaws #3: The ending is indeed very poignant. It was a good read.

Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special: Another good read. Larfleeze worked pretty well as your typical curmudgeony/greedy/selfish protagonist who learns something of the spirit of Christmas. Loved that little comic strip at the end too. And the nicest surprise? Larfleeze's Orange Lantern Cookie recipe. Makes two dozen, or one serving. Christmas is now complete.

4. Trekker4747

I finished "Red Son" and really enjoyed it, fantastic book. I sort of wish the ending had the rocketship crashing in a universe/timeline where it ends up in Kansas. Or perhaps, as Ike said in the first few pages "had the ship landed a few hours later it would've been in America", Brainiac or whatever power Luthor designed realized this and some how delayed Jor-El's launch and caused to happen in a manner to allow this.

But the pre-destination paradox was a great ending too, I just think having it end starting a "regular continuity" starting would've made for a nice way of showing that Superman's real goal was achieved.

It was interesting to mostly see Superman cast as something of a "bad guy" -with good intentions- and Luthor as more of a "good guy."

Fantastic book, really enjoyed it.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The way the story goes about the ending I believe is that Grant Morrison is the one who suggested it to Millar in the first place. He's made remarks about as recent as a few months ago when the topic of their fall out comes up. Someone else can correct me but I believe Grant has said he regretted not saving that ending for himself to use because that was one of his most favourite ideas.

6. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Depending on the creative team, I'd be into a Red Son ongoing. That world could be explored at far greater length.

7. Trekker4747

An on-going would certainly be interesting. The book itself spans fifty years or so, excluding of course the centuries or eons-long epilogue.

So there's quite a bit of stuff that could be done or shown in there.

8. Admiral_Young

I'd be up for a mini-series. I don't think an ongoing would work. Same thing as much as I'd want an ongoing for All Star Superman in that continuity...it would take away from the original I think. I think this is partly why we never got the spin offs or the Year One prequel that Grant wanted to do.

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Kurt Busiek also used something similar for his Superman analogue in Astro City.

10. Derishton

I agree that All-Star Superman wouldn`t work, mostly because I see it as an elegy that depends on the existence of an earlier career - it`s the end of a life, not an alternate take on a life that has a `canonical` version.

11. Trekker4747

The Dark Knight:

There's pretty much nothing at all to like about this title. The art, the story, the dialogue, nothing. This just might be one I'll drop now rather than waiting till the end of the first story line. It's just overall an unappealing comic.

Superman:

Still the best of Superman's two titles as far as I'm concerned, but the books are becoming a little one-note with Superman pretty much taking on the Ultra-Natural Baddie Of The Week. (UNBOTW) The book suggests there something bigger going on beneath it all but it's not placing any bets yet. The river has turned, comic. Time to show us your hand.

Aquaman:

Another good issue, good art and good story. I like how this one is going and may call myself something of an Aquaman fan.

Out of the Long Box:

Ultimate Spider-man #66 and #67

Oy, vey!

12. Admiral_Young

No way Superman is the best of the two books. It's one of the worst of the New 52 in my opinion with some interesting new developments. I'm surprised you have stuck with The Dark Knight this long Trekker...I dropped it after issue two of the dread full first volume lol.

Aquaman #3: This is a great book so far. I think we're also getting snippets of what Geoff Johns was going to do with the previously promised "Aquaman: Secret Origin" book with the flash backs to Arthur's youth. You really do get the sense that Johns is enjoying writing Arthur and especially Mera. The art is fantastic.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  13. Derishton

Is anyone reading Firestorm? It's not a character I've really ever followed, but I want to read some Simone, and that's probably not going to be Batgirl. Is this multiple Firestorms thing going to be anything more than another "let's have thousands of Lanterns in Rainbow Colors"?

14. Trekker4747

I dunno, Superman is doing more for me and showing me what I want to see. AC is good too, I'm just not greatly interested in Supes' early days or how they're being portrayed.

TDK I may stick with till the end of this first arc, but I dunno. Everything about this book is just grim.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  15. Admiral_Young

^ Yeah that's the tone Finch was wanting to the book and why he used the title of Dark Knight. It's too bad he sucked as a writer, although i think Paul Jenkins is writing the book now with Finch just doing the art.

Supeman #3: The writing on this book is just so bad!!! The story is actually quite interesting, I liked the flashback sequence, that just made me more excited for when Morrison catches up to the present! The lame reveal at the end of the issue was pretty predictable. The art was decent, but nothing spectacular. I'm starting to warm up to the new costume. I can't stand the boots or the high collar though.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Due to sitting in a Hospital waiting room I got some reading done.

All Star Western #3 - really loving this opening arc in Gotham way more than I thought when it was announced. I also like the fact that Jonah comments on the fact he's hung around longer than normal. With only one exception his entire last run were all single issue stories. Something that made them unique and appealing on the shelf.
    El Diablo backup - is this character before or after Kirby's Demon? Seems the concept is essentially the same. A supernatural force sharing the body of mortal. Anyway the story has been decent just been wondering this.

I,Vampire #3 - Ok, I called them out for needing to impress me and this issue did it. I'm now looking forward to the seemingly climatic showdown between Mary & Andrew in Gotham.

Also Alpha Flight #3 but that's for another thread.

I still have Aquaman #3 and Justice League Dark #3 to read. Good to see positive word on Aquaman's newest already.

17. Derishton

My question about the El Diablo back-up is why Black River looked so much like the Spectre, and was talking about vengeance for every tribe destroyed by the arrival of Europeans in the New World. It was cool, but unexpected.

18. Admiral_Young

@Trekker...TMNT#4 is indeed coming out next week.

19. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I,Vampire and Justice League Dark are both great books so far out the new 52.
    all so adding the green lantern titles and legion titles.

20. Admiral_Young

The Legion titles unfortunately suck in my opinion. I've lost all interest with what Levitz has been doing in the main book and dropped Legion Lost after the first issue. Enjoyed Legion: Secret Origin (which I don't count as being part of the New 52).