Who designed Janeways ready room?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by greenmystik, Jan 17, 2008.

1. greenmystik

greenmystik Captain Captain

Why in the world is the Captains Ready Room on Voyager so damn big? What did she need all that room for? That seems like a waste of resources IMO. I just don't see the point for it.

:klingon:

2. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

It was very extravagant for a small ship, but I guess they wanted the captain to have a good place to relax on those very short 6 week missions.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was large enough to have me wonder if it was part of the Captains yacht.

4. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was one of the ongoing inside jokes on Voyager. The EMH & Janeway have said in passing about the bridge: "It's much bigger than I thought". :lol:

On the technical side, I think it has to do with the type of ship Voyager is. It's a scout ship, notice how it has no labs, no areas for botany or studies of any kind. All Voyager has, is a bridge, sickbay, engineering and cargo bays. Most of the ships primary functions would take place on the bridge. Seeing as how is was a scout ship designed for deep space, Janeway and her crew would be out of range of other ships for long periods of time. Her ready room was designed to be her private oasis. A place that was multi-functional for not only work but relaxation as well.

5. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Real reason: it's a redress of a TNG set.

6. KiraDax

KiraDax Captain Captain

The same reason Janeway had a bathtub and a private dining room?

:)

Like I've said, the writers went out of their way to emphasize the idea of a feminine captain...by making her a spoiled rotten one.

I'm sure she was gracious enough to offer it up for floor berthing room when decks had to be evacuated, though. It or her very expansive quarters.

7. greenmystik

greenmystik Captain Captain

Isn't that what your quarters are for??? :vulcan:

8. kipron

kipron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just want to know where the hell that other door went. :(

9. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

The corridor leading to the turbolift behind Tuvok's station. I think they only used it a few times in Season 1.

10. Crewman47

Crewman47 Commodore Newbie

I think the ship will have Science and Engineering labs, as well as labs for Botany etc. We have seen at least two labs seen on the ship in different episodes and the ship did have a Hydroponics bay. If they didn't have labs where would you put the Science and Operations crewman on duty when there not in either Engineering or on the Bridge Science station (of which there is opnly one)?

11. exodus

What science crewmen? The EMH & Wildman were two of the few "blue" suits we saw on Voyager. Voyagers crew was all gold or red suits because the ship was for scouting & combat, not science exploration.

12. exodus

People have sewing rooms & mini offices in their homes for relaxation. Remember seeing Janeway painting, writing and having coffee while looking out the window of her ready room, Picard often sat reading a book in his. Why else would the also be a sofa in there? It also keeps the captain close their post because techincally their duty shift never ends. A captain like a doctor, is always on call.

13. Huntingdon

Huntingdon Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where do you think the Delaney sisters worked? They were assigned to Stellar Cartography.

We saw at least a dozen blue shirts - they must have worked somewhere, even if it was a shared lab.

In fact, screencaps from Demon show that blue shirts make up at least a third of the crew.

14. exodus

A dozen?

12 blue shirts out of a crew of 150 and that's supposed to tip the scales? The major majority of the crew were still gold & red uniforms, still making the minority blue uniforms.

15. Huntingdon

Huntingdon Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, but they will still need places to work, which was the initial point of the conversation.

You can't expect a dozen crewmembers to work from their quarters, which would have been shared as junior officers.

I see you also ignored the reference to the screencaps which show considerably more than a dozen.

16. exodus

I didn't ignore it, you gave me a figure of a dozen and mentioned the sceencap of Demon as an example to support it. I addressed it using the info you provided. It doesn't change the fact the blue suits were in the minority. I also didn't say they didn't have anywhere to work, I did say Voyagers primary function wasn't scientific exploration.

17. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

There were a few labs on Voyager, but not many.
    I was thinking about a month or so ago when doing an av contest how few blue shirts we actually saw on Voyager. The "Demon" CGI pic not withstanding, we really didn't see all that many crew in blue shirts.

18. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

As Akiraprise mentioned, it leads to a hallway. There is an episode in Season 6 (or 7) where Chakotay abducts Janeway and takes her through that door... it leads to a hallway that IIRC has a number of doors.

Anywho, in the second episode I remember when Janeway was meeting with B'Elanna in an office to discuss whether or not she should become the new Chief Engineer. The room was an office with a desk and looked like it could have been her ready room except it didn't have that horrific splash of teal and wasn't as big. Does anyone remember if they changed what Janeway's ready room looked like or was that meeting just in a different office?

19. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ I just looked up the screencaps from Parallax. It's her Ready Room.

Picard has a Private Dining Room. It was seen in Sins of the Father and in early Season One (I think in Haven).

20. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

I have to wonder if at least part of that was due to not having many blue costumes. I know that the blue dye used for the TNG uniforms was notoriously bad at staying the same color, so when the show needed new costumes quickly, it tended to be a red or yellow one. On DS9, I don't remember seeing a whole lot of blue shirts, either, probably for the same reason.