11010010 Evactuation Scene

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Trekker4747, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The evacuation scene in this episode at times makes me chuckle. (And not because of Manskirt guy.)

There's a moment during the evacuation where we go to a transporter room, Wesley and some other children are on the pad next to be beamed off. As the scene starts a pan comes across with two of the extras sort of awkwardly struggling with one another. The female extra seems to be trying to push her way ahead in line (though not trying very hard) the male extra who's being crowded is trying to hold her back (but, again, not trying very hard.) It's just a funny looking moment.

First of all, everyone else we see during the evacuation scene including the ones in this room seem to be taking the evacuation calmly and in stride. Hell the crew is in such little hurry to get people off the ship that Wesley's group is beamed off with one of the pads empty!

But here we have this woman half-heartedly trying to cut in line with sort of a semi-worried expression on her face and the guy being crowded is also sort of trying to keep her off him.

Though she could just be dry-humping his leg.

2. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I do remember something like that, and I remember being somewhat amused by what you speak of. I guess I would describe it as over-acting on the part of the extra. But it seemed so half-hearted at the same time.
    :beer:

3. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why do people find it so difficult to remember 11 - 00 - 10 - 01 ?

4. Trekker4747

Because it's two numbers jumbled together in a sequence of eight (and, yes I know what it is) instead of a word or phrase.

5. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Break it down like I have (and as the characters are named) and it becomes much easier to remember :techman:

6. Mr_Homn

Yeah, this. Is it really hard to believe that most people don't find it important to remember the exact order of the numbers? I can barely remember my own cell phone number these days. :lol:

By the way, does "11001001" actually mean anything in binary?

7. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

11001001 in binary = 201 in base 10. Not sure if it has any meaning in light of the ep.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  8. zephramc

zephramc Commodore Commodore

201 in decimal... but I'm not sure what's significant about that number.

BTW, thinking in binary (Wesley described that the Bynars thoughts pattern are binary or something like that) must be a real PITA.

Just deciding what to eat for breakfast would be:

Am I hungry? 1 (true)
    Do I want a large breakfast? 0 (false)
    Do I want a small breakfast? 1 (true)
    Do I want cereal? 0 (false)
    Do I want oatmeal? 1 (true)
    Do I want something mixed in with my oatmeal? 1 (true)
    Do I want nuts in my oatmeal? 0 (false)
    Do I want fruit mixed with the oatmeal? 1 (true)
    Do I want a banana? 1 (true)
    Do I want any other fruit? 0 (false)
    Do I want coffee? 1 (true)
    Do I want creamer? 1 (true)
    Do I want sugar? 0 (false)

With humans, it's "I'm hungry. I should eat something healthy, but screw it... I'll have a McMuffin!"

9. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i'm pretty sure it was to do with the 2:01 thing...

Binary 11001001 is decimal 201, and 2:01 kept showing up on computers in the episode... have to rewatch it now and grab a screencap

M

10. Trekker4747

The numbers are, obviously, the "names" of the four Binars we meet and it was also the password to get the database to upload to the Binar homeworld.

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

It the number of threads on the BBS that both references the guy in the skirt, but then also have someone who insists that it isn't a skirt ... it's a skank.

:)

12. zephramc

zephramc Commodore Commodore

Did they mention all 4 of their names. I remember that Cmdr. Quinteros introduced the first pair of Bynars as "10" and "01" (2 & 1). I don't remember the other two Bynar's names being mentioned.

Regarding their names, shouldn't their numbers be the binary equivalent of 76,655,348,211 and 76,655,348,212 or whatever sequence they happened to be born based on population and historic recordkeeping?

13. Trekker4747

I think you mean skant, but yeah I know. Still looks silly.

14. Mr_Homn

It was a skanky skant.

15. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At least they didn't communicate in Hex. That would have been a real pain!

16. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Haha, I know exactly the part you're talking about. It's one of those things we've all seen for years but never commented about. Pretty funny. :bolian:

17. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Well one really funny thing that I love with the Binar episode is how Quinteros tells Picard and Riker that the Binars are neither he nor she, and then for the rest of the episode Riker keeps calling them "Ladies" or "her" or another feminine noun, and it's like 'Weren't you listening to what Quinteros said...Commander?!'

18. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

If you ask me, the best thing about the episode title is, that composer Ron Jones actually musically worked that sequence into the score as a recurring theme. Very nice touch!

Actually that's not entirely true. He keeps referring to them with the words "boys" and "gentlemen".

19. Trekker4747

Well it makes SOME sense, since there's no real "polite" gender-neutral pronouns he could use.

20. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain