(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Holy fuck - how can a game where you brilliantly lead 4-0 end up 4-4? In this condition we don't even need to go to Brazil because it'll be too embarassing. :rolleyes:

2. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

1-1 agaisnt Spain in Spain. Goal from France at the very last second of the match after a rather good 2nd half. I feel like they won the world cup !

3. Bamarren

Bamarren Lieutenant Red Shirt

From following text updates, sounds like Spain were lucky in the end there.

As for Germany? What on earth happened to drop 4 goals in the last 30 minutes? Fair play to Sweden for keeping the faith though!

Interesting to see the final score when this Portugal team are trailing to Northern Ireland. That'd be some story.

4. Count Zero

Well, you should. Sounds great.

Just in case that this wasn't a rhetorical question - what happened is what is their main problem. As soon as they get one or even two goals or things don't go their way they totally fall apart. It was just hilariously exacerbated in this case. But it's the same reason we lost against Italy during the Euro. It's the reason we'll never win a fucking flower pot. It's the reason Jogi Löw will be out of a job after the World Cup even though it's probably not his fault.

5. Bamarren

I read in a couple of euro papers some ex players and managers in Germany were claiming they thought he wasnt hard enough on the players to get the most out of them. Thought that was an odd thing to do, since every manager has their own way.

Maybe this draw tonight, and Spains are just what both teams need to make them take some games more seriously.

Think Germanys issue may also be people expected them to walk 2012/2014 tournaments without looking at other sides, nothing like 4 years of pressure on you.

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Great showing by Poland in how to install the world's most pointless roof.

[​IMG]

7. Bamarren

Anyone heard Alan Greene at the BBC covering the England game being called off? The guy is livid! Some ranting when he wants to!

8. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spot the problem;

- We're going to try and get the game on, we just need to turn on the undersoil heaters
    - We can't turn on the undersoil heaters until the roof is closed
    - We can't close the roof until it stops raining

:rolleyes:

9. Count Zero

There has been quite a lot of outspoken and even harsh criticism since the game against Italy, basically. The first qualifier games weren't great, either, although they won. I don't know. I think it's whining on a very high level. I mean, which manager who's available would really do a better job?

This problem with the weak defense and the showing of nerves after getting goals has been there for years, since 2010 at least. We have a great offense but our defense isn't that great. We always get at least one goal which means we have to score at least two goals of our own to win, and against teams like Spain or Italy that's very difficult or impossible. That's why we'll never win a title - unless we get really lucky. But that's just what the team is like. Löw has tried to make them play more defensively and that didn't work, either. Actually, that was worse.

There's always enormous pressure here on the team and the manager/trainer. We expect them to win titles. It's a bit ridiculous but that's the way it is.

10. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Alan Green is one of, if not the worst radio commentator the BBC has. Constantly ranting or whining about absolutely everything you can imagine. He even has the nerve to whinge about empty seats in stadiums when he himself hasn't paid to get into a game for years and has concept of the reality behind going to a game. Ahem. Sorry, just can't stand the guy and will turn off any game he appears on!

More positively, Giroud, Ibra* and Norn Iron put a big smile on my face this week. I don't normally give much of a damn about internationals outside of the Euros/World Cup, but those three have made it a good week.

*I know he scored the first, not the equaliser, but damn I love the guy.

Now, bring on Saturday and a trip to Nottingham Forest for my league leaders. Jax, I'm going to this game - any tips you have for me for my visit to the City Ground?

11. Bamarren

Completely agree, the build up to the Chelsea - Manchester United European Final the other year in Moscow was basically two hours of him ranting about why they are kicking a game off at midnight local time!

As you also said, it was a pretty entertaining night for a round of football matches I barely take notice off. 4-4 is one hell of a scoreline to take home to Sweden with...or to accept in Berlin!

12. Count Zero

Yeah, just rub it in, you guys. :mad:

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

So now a ref is accused of racism towards Mata & Mikel in the same sentance, what the hell could he had said to a black African and white spanish player that counts as racist
    to them both at he same time ?

:confused:

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Apparently he called one a Spanish twat or something, not sure what he said to the African player, or what he supposedly said, apparently the player didn't actually hear it, other players did.

I love how they're saying that if it's true his career is over. surely not, surely he just just get a 4 or 8 match ban? ;)

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

16. HappyDayRiot

Reading 5 7 Arsenal

What were they playing? Tennis?!

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

18. HappyDayRiot

All the better when you realise Arsenal's previous tie ended 6-1. And now they're playing Bradford, so it could well be the 'third set' :D

I have a terrible feeling Swansea are going to win the damn thing.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Is it bad that I'm starting to hope Southampton beat our record low points tally?

I'm pretty sure we had more points by this time in the season as well!

20. Bamarren

Anyone been following the Real Oviedo story?

The team are in the third tier of Spanish football, and are in dire need of funding, and may be out of business by the 17th November.

They started to sell shares publicly and have a major PR thing going on to get people interested. Signed up myself actually. The story is here - http://www.realoviedo.es/weboficial/index.asp?Pagina=vernoticia&IdNoticia=7956

Always wanted to own a part of a football club!

As for the rascism thing going on with the Refs in England. I think Chelsea picked a very bad time to start that, if it turns out to be false, strange that a ref would say it too. Interesting times with it ahead.