star trek temporal agents vs Timelords

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by starsuperion, Apr 17, 2014.

1. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

So I would love to discuss the technological differences and compare things on this topic. Don't know really where to begin..any takers? Okay here's one..the vortex manipulator vs the transporter of time..which is more reliable?

Also it appears there was a ship or pod found that was bigger on the inside in voyager..

2. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

The vortex manipulator is a technology apparently originated by 51st century humans, not the Time Lords. It, though, has controls on itself unlike the "time portals" used by the Federation Temporal Agency which are generated from a 31st century facility(ies).

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I don't know the Doctor Who universe at all, but as a long-time Trek fan, the Time Lords win because they've been doing this sort of thing much longer.

On ENT, the NX discovers such a thing.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

At the very least, Time Lords have better fashion sense than Mr. Daniels on Enterprise did.

5. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

The 50th anniversary ends, and the two guys from the Department of Temporal Investigations come to question the Doctor.

Muldur: Doctor, why'd you travel back in time?
    The Doctor: It was an accident.
    Lucsly: So you're not contending it was a pre-destination paradox or a time loop? We hate hose.
    The Doctor: Um... no. Although... There was the letter from the Queen...
    Muldur: What letter from the Queen?
    The Doctor: Oh, nothing... Nothing of historic importance anyway...
    Muldur: Is that a joke?
    The Doctor: No.
    Lucsly: Good.
    Muldur: We hate those too.
    Lucsly: So - what happened?
    The Doctor: The Moment came...
    Muldur: The Moment?
    Lucsly: It is a Time Lord schedule 5 temporal weapon. Gallifrey should have never been accepted in the Federation before destroying those.
    The Doctor: Somebody had activated the Moment, and the fissure pulled me back to the Doctor and Elizabeth...
    Muldur: The Elizabeth.
    The Doctor: The one and only!
    Lucsly: Seventeen separate temporal violations; the biggest file on record.
    Muldur: The woman was a menace.
    The Doctor: No, no, no, you've got it all wrong. You're thinking of... the infamous Captain Braxton and Agent Daniels.
    Muldur: Who?
    The Doctor: Can't tell you that.
    Lucsly: Why not?
    The Doctor: Temporal prime directive.

(OTOH, none of them agents were as outrageous as the Teselecta guys. I am sure the Doctor will not get that mad at them if he can be friends with the Teselecta nutjobs.)

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

If only there were a regular poster on this board who'd written a book or two about Starfleet's Department of Temporal Investigations...

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Based on the limited evidenace we have we can't really say which is more reliable, the Temporal Transporter as seen in VOY or the Vortex Manipulator. So questions to ask

What sort of Temporal range does a Temporal Transporter have? We know that a Vortex Manipulator can faciliate Time Travel of at least 100 Trillion years.

The vortex manipulator is also considered primative by The Doctor he liked it to a space hopper vs his sports car (TARDIS).

8. starsuperion

I Don't Know, I Mean To Me Being Able To Transport All The Way To The Delta Quadrant From The Alpha Quadrant Across Time Is Pretty Powerful And Without The Use Of A TARDIS Is Pretty Cool Wouldn't You Say?? I Do Agree Tho,Time Lords Dress Better...

9. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The Doctor did use a time ring to go from Skaro to Nerva Beacon, it acted like a TARDIS without actually being a TARDIS.

10. starsuperion

The Time Ring Is Pretty Cool. I Wonder How It Works..

11. starsuperion

I would love to find out more on that! It would probably help with the Time Lords and their secrets.. though in Doctor who, particularly the Dalek hand book it does state that their is more then one way to time travel..

12. Captaindemotion

^ Christopher has written a couple of well-received books about the DTI. I'm surprised he hasn't contributed to this thread. Maybe someone should PM him and bring it to his attention.

13. starsuperion

after work tonight, I will send him a PM, and see if he is interested. thanks for that btw. I also was interested in the depictions of the Time Travel co-ordinates from the Star Trek series. As it seems they resemble those in the doctor who series some what, which if they are very close, and I need to look at screen caps to see, would go a long way as to translating and understanding the Time Lord co-ordinate systems.

14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Good luck interpreting the numbers that the Dcotor told Eldrad to input into the TARDIS in The Hand Of Fear.

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Priceless. I can just hear Matt Smith's voice there.

16. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Or several (at least three) regular posters who'd written Dr Who...

17. Captaindemotion

^Well yeah, that too *facepalms self for overlooking the obvious*