Transformers Age of Extinction Pre-release thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I looked for other thhreads, and one thread was entitle "superbowl spot"

But I opened up a new thread, because now we have new posters, and a new trailer.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIwuCs1Yovw[/yt]

Good to see Prime will have cab-over alt mode for a bit!

But it looks like Walberg's daughter gets beat up and captured a lot in this film, but she sure knows how to cry "dad!"

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

WE, THE STUDIO, AREN'T LETTING BAY'S CAMERA
    PERV ALL OVER HIS ONLY FEMALE LEADING
    CHARACTER THIS TIME.

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

They crammed a lot of American flags into that trailer. :eek:

4. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    They cram a lot of Americia into all the Transformer movies.

5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Guess it's kind of fitting that the people in this world regard the Transformers as nothing but a bunch of annoying pests who cause nothing but destruction and won't go away. Since that's pretty much what the Transformers films themselves have become by this point.

I was a huge fan of the first movie, but by now any sense of wonder or magic in the concept has just been completely lost.

7. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't hate the Transformers. Hate Michael Bay.

8. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Oh my god, why does he need to shoehorn so many American flags into his films?

9. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm Canadian and that's the first thing I notice in most of Bay's film trailer. But for YOU guys to notice it... ;)

In other news, admittedly my first thoughts upon seeing this trailer was "Whoa, this movie will have a PLOT..?!"

Mark

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Michael Bay has this huge love for America and the military

All the other countries in his movies are full of cliche people and can't stand up to 'Merica

:rolleyes:

11. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

THE RULES HAVE CHANGED

... BUT SOME RULES HAVE CHANGED
    MORE THAN OTHERS

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

On the surface, a cool, glossy trailer..but I don't have any desire to see it.

RAMA

13. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

"The rules have changed" ... but ... the actual movies haven't.

It'll be the same kind of spectacle as all the other live-action TF films. I'll likely see it, though not in the theater. And if the other films are any indication, I'll enjoy it as a purely guilty, mind-numbing pleasure.

I could do without all of the flags - explicit and implicit - though.

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

The rules of have changed...
    The cast has changed...
    But yeah: same shit, not-so different Bay.

15. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

So, the purpose of this pre-release thread is to diss both Michael Bay and America? :rolleyes:

I'm an American, I like Michael Bay's work, and I will gladly plant my butt in a theater seat to see this movie. You anti-American Bay-haters can stay home.

16. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

The movie looks like it might have a plot.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's less "anti-American" and more "Why does Michael Bay need to keep reminding us that we're in America?" Frankly, I just find it funny.

That said, I generally enjoy his movies, and I've liked the first three Transformers movies just fine. They're great when I'm in the mood to see lots of cool explosions.

18. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

You have to take Bay movies as they are.. overkill, dumb, 'splosionheavy, overly patriotic action movies. You either take it or leave it.

When i see a Bay movie i know exactly what i'm getting and there are no surprises so why bitch and moan? No one's forcing you to see them and maybe he's raping your childhood but then he's not the only one.

There are far better movies out there but once in a while they can be entertaining.. one of my favorite movies is Armageddon just because of all the things i described. When i originally saw it in the theater i had to supress the urge to stand up, salute the american flag and sing their anthem :lol:
    Sometimes i need and want dumb, mindless action movies that overwhelm you with fast one lines, hot babes and explosions in every scene so you don't notice the huge plotholes.

As to this movie.. i'll probably see it if only for the new Transformers and the new cast. The first Transformer movie was actually quite good (for a Transformers non-fan, i'm sure fans spotted a million deviations from the original), the second sucked even for Bay standards but the third was ok again.

19. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@Midnight had a great take on the trailer, you can watch it here. The comedians and Chris Hardwick especially poked fun at some of the dialogue, from Cade Yeager, specfically:

"I can break it down. Strip it for parts. This stuff is what's gonna put you through college."
    "Come on you old wreck. Judgment Day."
    "I think we just found a Transformer."

20. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Oh, get a grip. It's not anti-American in the slightest to point out that Michael Bay overdoes it on the "America, fuck yeah!" stuff. There's patriotism and then there's Baytriotism, which seems to think quantity of flags equates to amount of love of country (and that love seems to be on the sexual side of things for Bay).

There's eleven distinct shots of American flags in a two and a half minute trailer. He literally turned the jingoism up to eleven. 4th of July parades and the Superbowl called to tell him to tone it down a bit. Not even the asses of the young starlets he practically sexually assaults with the camera in each movie get that much attention.

The only thing missing from this trailer are nineteen different shots of military jets banking. Wussy-ass civilian helicopters flying straight and level or hovering are for Commies. I guess Bay's love of the military is waning if we apply his own formula. Why does he hate the troops?

I'd question his loyalty to God and country if he didn't win me back at the end with a good ole' fashioned American robot dinosaur in the fine tradition of such great patriots as Robosaurus and Truckasaurus. He almost lost me again by having it get its ass kicked, but since it was being done by a great American (in American flag colors) like Optimus Prime, and since they later team up to conquer Decepti-Commies and AI-Qaeda, I'll allow it... this time.