Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Well Spider-Man apparently or at lest seeming to be the real Peter Parker is kind of hinting at that.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Nah, there is going to be a Superior Spider-Man AU crossover issue, do it's definitely Otto.

As for it being an alternate reality, or more likely a reality that will be reset by the end of the story, I assumed that as soon as I heard the name of the story. "Age of Apokolips", "Age of X", "Age of Ultron". All alternate reality re-sets.

However, there is already some slight continuity disconnect swith Thor being dead. In the Avengers arc where Bendis set all of this up, it was continuing from the Avengers Next animated movie, in which we met Thor's daughter, and found out that Thor is still alive in Asgard. And Emma's mental powers are no longer on the fritz for some reason.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  3. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone care to take a guess at AoU's unguessable ending?

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Keep in mind as I've said before that Bendis wrote Age of Ultron at least two years ago...that is why Peter is not Otto (although the tie in will feature Otto-Peter), Carol is still Ms. Marvel, etc. Bendis probably hasn't updated his script since he finished them.

-Avengers #8
    -Captain America #5
    -Captain Marvel #11
    -Daredevil #24
    -Deadpool #6
    -Incredible Hulk #5
    -New Avengers #4
    -Superior Spider-Man #6
    -Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #21

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

If Age of Ultron was written two years ago, and appears to take place in that continuity point, then doesn't that mean it won't have ANY consequences because we're already in a post-AU era? The only thing I can think of is, has Hank Pym or Janet appeared in any comics since "Marvel NOW"?

7. Admiral_Young

Bendis has said that it will have "major consequences and has a jaw dropping ending that only five people know".

I never said it wouldn't have any impact on current continuity...but it is mostly self-contained. This is why Marvel probably made it an event series so that it would, and gave it additional tie-in series (like the Superior Spider-Man) one.

Bendis returned Janet in his last Avengers arc...but I don't think she has appeared in any series yet, doesn't mean that she won't soon though :)

Remember that this was originally slated for last spring or summer, but they had "Avengers Vs X-Men" as their major event book at the time, so it didn't make sense for them to have two big series out...even though they will with this and "Infinity" when it arrives in the summer time.

I've long thought this was originally meant to be the conclusion of Bendis "Avengers" run but was changed to be an event but editorial. I'm pretty sure this was first announced at SDCC 2011.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah back in the day it sounded like this was the finale of Bendis' Avengers but now it exists in this weird limbo all on its own, which makes it feel less important. I read that Infinity begins right after Age of Ultron ends and they don't overlap.

9. Admiral_Young

Yeah I believe the Ultron War was also mentioned on Future Tony's timeline map way back in the first arc of Bendis "Avengers". This really has been long in the planning though, which is why there are several continuity inconsistencies and why most of the art work has already been completed. I believe this is also going to be a thrice monthy series?

10. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This wouldn't be the first time Marvel just went with the continuity blips when a creative team with out of step with the rest of the MU. Avengers The Children's Crusade featured Steve Rogers as Captain America even though it tool place in the "Commander Rogers" era.

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Janet is set to become a member of the Uncanny Avengers team in a few months (along with Wonder Man and Sunfire).

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What i don't get about Uncanny Avengers is that every one on that team is over qualified to be a solo hero or a squad leader, even Rogue and the Scarlet Witch, jut like the Original JLA, it's a "team" that doesn't need a leader, and really Captain America and Wolverine both forcing themselves into subordinate roles just makes these two personalities who should be dominating any group they're a part of, seem like babysitters getting read for when Alex goes crazy like his brother.

They don't trust Alex to lead a team that would follow him.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  13. Admiral_Young

I think that is a very good point Guy, because one of the purposes of Uncanny Avengers is to use this new team to attempt to forge a new understanding between mutants and humans after the events of "Avengers Vs X-Men". Certainly in the opening arc we saw elements of this not really working, and Steve Rogers uncertain and mixed feelings about mutants in the first place being manipulated by Red Skull. This is ultimately about earning trust and so far that doesn't seem to be the case by most of the members on the team right now.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The hero Community with a few exceptions should be able to move on... It's the ordinary humans who have to be bashed raw and bloody with the crude example of solidarity from a Mutant led team of Avengers, before they link into or donate money to an extremist Hate Group like Secret Empire, Hydra, the Sons of the Serpent or the Purifiers.

15. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except he DID update the scripts and it IS Otto.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/age-of-ultron-1-post-game-bendis.html

Nrama: It's been said that since everyone knew this story was coming so it didn't take much maneuvering to make it fit with the current Marvel slate. So that's Superior Spider-Man in the first issue?
    Bendis: Yes. But it's not going to be a major Superior Spider-Man chapter. There's not going to be any big reveals about Peter or Otto in this. For those following, yes, it fits right in. For all intents and purposes to these characters, it's Peter.
    Nrama: Spider-Man's dialogue seemed to be written nimbly so that it could reasonably be interpreted either way, as Peter or Otto.
    Bendis: I have massaged these scripts up until the moment you read them. And not only just for Spider-Man, but to reference all the Marvel NOW! stuff that we can.

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Except Otto Octavius is a dick, he isn't going to have some seeming freak out over Ultron wiping out people he doesn't even give a crap about like Spider-Man seemed to be doing in the issue 2 preview.

17. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^
    Obviously post-apocolyptic scenerios affect different people in different ways.

I'm just bringing to the table what was directly said.

18. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

^Well, what was directly said is pretty much a bald-faced lie.

19. Admiral_Young

Yeah I don't believe Brian when he says that was Otto-Peter in issue one or two. It's very possible he could have tweaked and updated his scripts since he first wrote them, but that didn't read like Otto-Peter at all to me. That sounded one hundred percent like Bendis 616 Peter.

I have a feeling that this is exactly what the tie-ins are for.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  20. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guys, everyone Bendis writes sounds exactly the same.