AGENTS of SHIELD: Should they make a TIME TRAVEL episode?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Mutara Nebula 1967, Dec 9, 2013.

?

Should there be a TIME TRAVEL episode on SHIELD?

1. Yes

51.9%
  2. No

48.1%
  1. Mutara Nebula 1967

Mutara Nebula 1967 Captain Captain

This question was posed over in a post at IMDB and got mainly the answer NO. Let's see what Trek BBS says.

Okay, when you have series with sci/fi elements it is inevitable that time travel is going to show up sooner or later.

Should SHIELD do the obligatory episode? I would be fine for it as long as it is just a one off episode where they are unable to duplicate the method of time traveling so as not to milk it to death the way STAR TREK went to that well several times too many making it less special so to speak.

Time travel "One Off" storied CAN be excellent. I would like to point to what was arguably the best episode of the 1990 FLASH series. Trying to outrace a missle the Flash was blasted through a hole in the space time contimum ten years into the future. To get home and reset the timeline STAR LABS's nuclear reactor was detonated to reopen the fissure in time. It really was a great episode seeing FLASH in the "future" of 2001 with the usual dystopian society and everyone knowing that Barry Allen had been the FLASH>

Handled right SHIELD could do an excellent episode...for instance COULSON could be sent back and try and stop his hero CAPTAIN AMERICA from being frozen for 70 years.

2. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love time travel stories, and I think AOS has great potential to do a good one. Go back and see what SHIELD was like in the 60's (with plenty of Jim Steranko influences). Go to the future with a dash of Marvel 2099. Maybe they could do it "Trials And Tribbleations" style and send everyone back into the events of The Avengers.

Also, a time travel story would be a great way to introduce Kang (the time travelling Marvel villain, not the Klingon) into the MCU.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The World War II stuff in Captain America was the first time I had fun at a Marvel movie since 2008. So...why not?

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Well that wasn't time travel though.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

No, but it would be a way to revisit that period (or, another).

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

True. I'd be up for it. I was disappointed we only got one Captain America movie set in the 40s.

7. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

The Asgardian Science Directorate has determined that time travel is impossible.

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

No. Just no. I'd rather be tossed around like a mall cop by Thor than be subjected to a time travel/reset episode.

9. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't want it to be a predestination paradox or a reset button where the events of the episode get entirely erased, but visiting another Marvel era would be pretty cool, because those stories will most likely never be told in the MCU.
    Since X-men is already doing it. ;)

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They should go back to the 40s and get Agent Carter in there.

11. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agent Carter and Dum Dum Dugan, and the rest of the Howling Commandos as well!

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

They can prime the whole kang/Immortus thing for Avengers IV.

Kang loses a little flare when you disconnect Doctor Doom from his origin, but it's still pretty boss.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, they could just do a flashback for that.

I still think it's a bridge too far. Maybe after the Guardians of the Galaxy, I'll feel differently. Different universe, but maybe DOFP will convince me. Still, I don't think AoS should be the ones to break this ground.

ETA: Shouldn't this be in SFF? It's asking about Time Travel after all ;)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  14. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. No one should do a time travel episode. Ever again. No one knows how to do anything interesting with them. Physicists and philosophers haven't solved the grandfather paradox and neither have sci-fi writers. They are simply used as reset button ex machinas. It killed Star Trek. Never again, please God never again.

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still a little fuzzy on whether or not the MacGuffin in 0-8-4 had traveled back in time. It seems to have been dated as at least 1500 years old, yet it also appeared to be German made.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

That was a mistake by Fitz/Simmons. They dated the rock that the device was buried in to 1500 years ago not realizing the device had melted it's way down to that location.

17. CorporalCaptain

If that's the way it's supposed to play, then somebody might want to update teh wiki, which says:

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I thought they were explicit that it was commissioned post WW2 and had dug itself into the millennia old wall. They only thought it *might* be ancient when they didn't know what it was or how it got there.

Also, a wiki is not a reliable source of information. ;)

19. CorporalCaptain

Who said it was? All I said was that someone might want to fix it.

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

^ Yeah, somebody stopped paying attention halfway through the episode and missed the resolution to that contradiction.

Tell that to Doctor Who.