the Star Wars Expanded universe

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by safarial, Feb 25, 2013.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't see the EU surviving the new movies, or at least not the Post-ROtJ stuff. And honestly, I think that is for the best, they should just let the new movies do what they want without being beholden to dozens of books comics, ect. I don't really see them doing any kind of time travel or alternate universe thing to keep it in tact, they'll hopefully tie up whatever Post-RotJ story lines they have going and then pretend they never happened.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

There's no a way movie that will be seen by billions will be beholden to a continuity from 20 years ago that was read by thousands. But I hope they use some ideas from it. I like the idea of Han and Leia having male and female twins. I hope Luke finds love sooner though.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Considering the new movies will most likely pickup 30 years or so after the last one, I don't think we'll see when Luke "finds love".

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Luke spent a lot of time thinking about his sister in a metal bikini while going "hand solo"...

5. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the current EU continuity will survive in book and/or comic form. its not like Pocket Books suddenly stopped publishing Star Trek books set in the 'original' timeline.

6. safarial

safarial Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

do you think we'll have two sets of star wars EU?

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i do. i mean the current EU novels have been going on for twenty years now. i really doubt they'll just abandon that.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I think they will.

Lucas forced them to kill Anakin Solo to prevent reader confusion when the Prequels came out. Are they really going to allow two separate but equal continuities starring the exact same characters in the exact same time period? That would be so confusing. Not everybody pays attention to details the way we do :lol:

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Splinter of the Mind's Eye seems alive and well, despite the fact that its ship sailed decades ago.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

There will be a new EU. I'd put good money on it, and the old one will end.

There may well be some stuff pulled forward into the new one if it doesn't contradict anything...

11. safarial

12. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope they can basically wrap it all up and tell a 'finale' story. It would suck to leave things hanging the way they did with the Republic Commando series when the Clone Wars overwrote the EU.

13. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I'm with you. I think Del Ray has enough time to come up with a decent finale before the new Star Wars film. The same goes for Dark Horse.

Though if there is a new EU I wonder if any of the old EU stuff will bleed into it? Basically all of the pre-OT stuff could still remain 'canonical'.

14. safarial

What would we want to see in a finale?

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Haven't they already said this new "Crucible" series will be the finale of the Han Luke Leia story?

I think Luke needs to make a great and noble self sacrifice to save the Jedi from an ultimate evil. Han and Leia I think should survive into old age after all the suffering they've been through with their children. Jaina needs to create the new Imperial dynasty with Jagged Fel, of course. Ben needs to become the next great Jedi without falling into darkness.

The big question to me is, who/what should be the final villain? Has to be someone powerful in the Dark Side, but they just did the ultimate evil in Abeloth and they just did a story with a whole mess of Sith, so where do you go from there?

If I understand my Legacy continuity correctly, it can't be the Darth Krayt group, correct? Because they stay a complete mystery until the Legacy comic, right?

16. safarial

I have a feeling Legacy will have to be redone, since we've seen references in the legacy comics to the current eu,it will need a new background continuity. Since cade is descwnded from ben, who's descended from Luke, and Mara, and there's a good chance that in the new movies, Luke will be following the no attachement rule.

17. safarial

There following the Lucas guidelines, and Lucas said he didn't picture Luke getting married.

18. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't see any type of grand ending to this EU if there is one. The only type of finality would involve one or all of the big 3 dying. With the movies starting up again and the big 3 likely all to appear again are they really going to kill off the characters in the EU?

19. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Which is by no means a given in the post-Rebellion era. With Lucas no longer the one controlling Star Wars (at best, he's a creative consultant now), the new writers and producers of future productions are free to change that no attachment rule and even the rule of two for the Sith--and it really stands to reason that after thousands of years, both the Jedi and the Sith have undergone changes in their policies numerous times in the past and will do so in the future, IMO.

But regarding Legacy, even if the Skywalker line is revamped in the new movies, it really shouldn't effect it too much. We're still two or three years away from Episode VII (perhaps four with Abrams directing it), so that should be plenty enough time for the upcoming second volume of Legacy with Ania Solo (and eventually Cade) to tell its story and wrap things up before then.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Why doesn't someone ask Supershadow ? ;)

Oh, his 'best bud' George sold the franchise didn't he...