Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Yeah that's disappointing. For the most part it's been a really great title. I suspect though we could see something like All-New Scarlet Spider next year. I am fully expecting to see All-New Spider-Man when Peter returns to go alongside with the return of Amazing. Or maybe All-New Amazing Spider-Man. Something like.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Uncanny X-Men #12, chapter four of Battle of the Atom.

I've always liked Bachalo's artwork. But Bendis' writing, especially his attempt at writing hip Whedonesque dialogue, is physically painful.

The major problem with this storyline? I still have no idea what the stakes are, because critical information -- like why it would be bad if the young X-Men don't go home immediately -- is being withheld from us. We lack basic information here, and characters are behaving in seemingly stupid ways.

Though maybe the stakes have something to do with SHEILD Agent Hill's dream herein...

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whedon just ripped off Giffen.

5. Admiral_Young

6. Guy Gardener

But the point of terrigenesis is that it is unstable and doles out unleveled powers where the recipients if they are not preapproved before birth might receive even selfdestructive abilities.

Quicksilver was giving exmutants (after the Decimation) new powers with stolen terrigen crstals and they were blowing up or floating away into space or... And Blackbolt was outright FORBIDDEN to breed because his children, or merely his children with his cousin/wife (more should be made of that. Cousin/wife. Moonbillies?) Medusa were "forecasted" to be down right troublesome.

Meanwhile... Jim Krueger's Earth X. The Mutants final solution to the human problem was the complete terrigenesis of the planet which also helped them resolve a worrisome Galactus/Celestial crisis.

7. Admiral_Young

8. Turtletrekker

Different strokes, I guess. Bendis has made X-Men "must-read" for me for the first time in years.

As for the crossover, Bendis hinted that ANXM and GotG were going to crossover before either book even hit the shelves.

9. Admiral_Young

I am a Brian Bendis fan. As I've stated in thread before, I don't like his characterization of the characters at all and All Meh would have been better suited as a mini-series. I know people aren't fond of Aaron's work on Wolverine and the X-Men either, so it would appear that the Schism hasn't just affected the X-Men themselves :) I have liked BOTA for the most part though. Just not Bendis's parts of it :)

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

though i absolutely hated his run on Avengers i've really enjoyed his X-Men stuff thus far. Battle of the Atom is...ok this far.

11. Admiral_Young

Also. Considering Rich says the crossover will be The Trial of Jean Grey...I wonder if this will be future Original Jean (Lady Xorn) perhaps remaining behind, or if the "real" Jean...the White Phoenix Jean Grey that's supposed to be in the White Hot Room will return at the end of Battle of the Atom? NYCC is going to be very interesting indeed this year.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

"The Battle of the Atom" is interesting but its way too strung out, like most Bendis stories. Really doesn't seem to need to be a TEN parter...

13. Turtletrekker

New She-Hulk series. Green/Jen, not Red/Betty.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^
    Red She-Hulk series ends, 6 months later, Green one starts back up

Sif is cancelled, looks like we'll get another Black Widow attempt, just waiting on confirmation.

15. Guy Gardener

They want girl comics to prove they ain't macho thugs, but they hardly ever find a decent writer and it sucks because it's a suck comic and not... I reread the second half of Slott's She Hulk last week... Awwwwwesome.

I can't just follow characters anymore.

Nothing is a slam dunk if the creative team is ass.

Even Squirrel Girl.

16. Admiral_Young

17. Turtletrekker

18. Admiral_Young

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

"Interesting" is a good word. I'm hesitant to call it "enjoyable." :)

I was expecting a plot twist like what we got at the end of chapter five. Unfortunately, it feels like the kind of plot twist you should expect around the end of chapter three, as the story has really drug out the mysteries surrounding the future X-Men beyond the point of annoyance.

Perhaps now we'll finally get exploration of the stakes and motives. And possibly even the threat. That's a problem with this story -- we've had five chapters with fighting but no antagonist. And various iterations of the X-Men don't count; they're antagonistic, but they're not antagonists.

20. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is Slott leaving Spider-Man? He's said before that he can only do two books a month and keep his quality up.