Episode of the Week: Heart of Glory

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by MikeS, Dec 11, 2012.

1. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Again - typing as watching so forgive my disjointed thoughts...

At least they acknowledge the ability to seperate saucer before going into a dangerous situation. Later on it seems to get forgotten about.

"The Romulans, now there's a name we've not heard in a while" - really? I'm sure we heard of them a couple of episodes back in Angel One? I understand why they wanted each episode to "stand-alone" but what is achieved by blatantly ignoring established continuity?

Lieutenant Yar doesn't look happy when she is told to wait at her post whilst the away team beams over to the Batris!

Geordi's futuristic "head-cam" mustn't even have seemed futuristic in 1987, surely?! What is nice about this little scene though, is that it shows Geordi to be the one person who perceives Data very differently, yet he is the one that treats him the most humanly.

Worf's agreeing to show the Klingons around the engine room shortly after they admit having lied to his Captain has been covered before.

Do all Klingon uniforms have the ability to make a weapon? Or were the renegades just well prepared?

"Kling"? A moon of Q'onos perhaps? A colony?

One of the highlights of Season One.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Inconsistencies creep when episodes are being written at the same time. Not really a big deal.

Kronos is a retcon.

Great, great episode. One of TNG's best and, I think, one of the definitive Klingon episodes. I liked these Klingons a hell of a lot more than Ron Moore's drinking biker gang.

3. MikeS

I know. Was trying to ask if there'd been any attempt at an "in-universe" explanation in fiction or anything. I realise I had not explained my thoughts properly...

So this and Angel One were written at a similar time? Thanks for the explanation. :techman:

4. DrBeverly

DrBeverly Lieutenant Red Shirt

According to Memory Alpha, at the time 'Kling' was intended to be the name of the Klingon homeworld. They later on decided that sounded crap, so changed it to Kronos for ST VI. I believe it's been speculated that Kling could be the name of the capital city of Kronos, for example, but I don't know of any canonical statement.

And indeed, Heart of Glory is a good episode, but suffers from the all-too-common early-TNG failing that everyone, Worf included, is just really dumb.

5. BillJ

Kling could just be an older name for the homeworld that some still use.

6. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember when this first aired it was a big deal, since it actually showed different Klingons, and even a Klingon ship. Also, at the time they apparently thought the Klingons had joined the Federation, since the Klingon bridge shows the Federation seal, but written in Klingon.

This could have been an even better episode, but it suffered from many of the same issues lots of other first season episodes did. They had trouble actually just telling the story, and not stopping to talk too much along the way.

I did really like how they adressed that the alliance with the Federation was painful for the Klingons who were therefore restricted from fighting their greatest foe. It showed how it was basically killing their very soul, being forced to be all nicey-nicey.
    It was kind of a nice follow up in the Klingon Civil War when they showed how happy many of the Klingons were to be fighting in battle. Even if it was against each other.

7. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Not a bad episode, but it does have some strange padding issues. Geordi's vision was almost pointless and it did a poor job at convincing me that he sees better than we do. It's just random shifting color filters! Give us that Predator 2 sequence where he can shift his sensors to detect different anomalies. That would have been cool.

And the moment the Klingons started hanging out with Worf, I knew where this episode was headed. Are you one of us? Where does your allegiance lie? You would fight for them? Yadayadayada. Doesn't take much to know how this will end.

I do give this episode credit for showing us the TMP Klingon D7. Always good to see that beauty again.

8. BillJ

I'm sure you knew where it was heading the moment you saw the Klingons on the Batris, I know I did. :techman:

9. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, in theory, "Angel One" takes place on Stardate 41636 while "Heart of Glory" is 41503, therefore precedes the competition!

That's nice, yes. It's a bit funny how LaForge's VISOR abilities are reduced later on, so that he doesn't spot the Julianna Tainer android and loses the ability to detect lies.

That's a good plot twist, as it makes it plausible that Worf might be turning against his Federation comrades. Of course, it's only a few episodes later that we learn that Klingons are supposed to be trusted allies of the Federation, and that Picard would have been within his rights and wits to let Korris pilot the Enterprise while Konmel manned (Klinged?) the phasers...

The plot sort of suggests exceptional survival skills for the renegade trio. Exceptional equipment might explain some of this.

Not a location at all, IMHO, but rather the Klingon equivalent for "mankind". A traitor of Kling is akin to a traitor of mankind. Or perhaps a traitor of the Klingon spirit, Klingonness, whatever.

Seconded - there's quite a bit of padding in many of these early episodes, not all of it explainable by writer strikes and the like. OTOH, it could be taken simply as a different artistic choice in pacing...

Timo Saloniemi

10. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

I enjoyed the episode and especially the use of the multi-level engineering set, which was rarely used after S1.

I didn't like the constant re-use of the approaching Klingon ship, however.

And yeah, the whole, they lied to us but let's take them to the most sensitive area of the ship thing is crazy.

11. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

It’s our first look at post-treaty Klingons. The episode does a good job of establishing the concepts of what Klingons are going to be in TNG. (It certainly gives them a better introduction than the Ferengi get in The Last Outpost. Like Konmel says, “As adversaries the Ferengi are not very worthy.”) The Klingon death ritual is a good touch. Unfortunately, the execution of the episode is in many ways so lacking that it almost seems to have been done by children.

Tasha beams the landing party and Klingons from the Batris to the Enterprise in a scene that is plainly intended to be suspenseful. The music rises to an exciting crescendo (itself a stock cue without a lick of originality) as the shots cut back and forth between the transporter room and the Batris, everybody puts on a worried look, and the transporter works then doesn’t work then finally works and gets everybody to the Enterprise at the last possible moment just as the Batris explodes. It’s as if it were written, directed and edited by kids mimicking what they have seen in suspenseful scenes in other works, but who understand it so little that they don’t realize a necessary ingredient is some uncertainty about what’s going to happen or how it’s going to happen. In another moment of psuedo-tension, the Klingons ask Worf to betray the Enterprise and join them as Worf looks back and forth, the music rises, and we cut to commercial. Frankly, I find it embarrassing to watch. (That happens a lot in S1.)

The Klingons narrate the story of how they defeated the Ferengi with phrases like, “We had only one chance,” as if somebody thinks it makes the story dramatic or interesting. The Klingons beam with pride as if they’re describing something clever and original, but it’s a perfectly ordinary tale of false surrender, devoid of any novelty. The tactic is as old as warfare, it’s obvious and known to most adults. We don’t see it a lot because it’s prohibited by the Geneva Convention.

The escape from the brig is similarly hackneyed and too obvious to be believable. Yet we spend nearly a full minute watching the Klingons put their gun together. (The guards, as is typical, don’t bother to watch.) The director (Rob Bowman) evidently thought it was interesting enough to be worth that much of our time. It’s like asking people to read a big wall of text griping about obvious flaws in the episode that...

Oh.

:o

12. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I like this, Kronos is the homeworld, but Kling is the ethos of the people.

The species name Klingon come from who they are, not where they're from.

:)

13. Timo

Just two seasons later, the audience would be having a serious debate during the fridge raid - the character of Worf would already have been revealed as being perfectly capable of betraying the Enterprise. Why not in this episode already? We don't really know he has a heart of gold, even if it takes "The Enemy" to finally prove that he does not, or "Where Silence Has Lease" to establish him as a fricking psycho.

And that's classic Klingon, too. They are all about childish pintside stories of glory in DS9, so what we have here is... (waaait for it, and insert dramatic music to accompany the ellipsis...) Fooooreshadowingh!

Well, in James Bond, it always is, even though the Brits do it so much more clumsily.

Timo Saloniemi

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Harsh. In my estimation, Ron Jones' score is one of the best things about the episode, and it keeps things moving even in light of some earth-shattering stupidity (which you mention).

Rob Bowman's direction is the other thing that keeps the silly script alive. The only thing to distract from the fact that the Klingons build a gun in the brig under the noses of the guards is the percussive editing (and music) in this sequence.

15. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

I especially liked Ron Jones' Klingon theme that played when the D7 was approaching the Enterprise. It had all the right musical elements that clearly identified it as Klingon from the violin build up to the more pounding instruments like drums. Great way of sounding familiar without directly resorting to Jerry Goldsmith's or James Horner's Klingon themes.

16. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

My comment about the score was in reference to one particular cue, not the scoring of the episode as a whole.

17. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

An episode that suffers in retrospect from us having had about 50000 Klingon episodes mining similar territory over the next decade and a half. It's easy to forget how fresh, fun and different this felt at the the time. The Klingons are back! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

As noted, there are silly aspects to the scripting, but once again Rob Bowman steps up to smooth things over with some top notch direction. There's not much depth, but it is big dumb ffun.

And its also Michael Dorn's showcase. After excellent support work throughout the year he seizes his first focus episode with glee and pretty much guarentees himself a bigger and more pivotal role in season 2. And all in an episode where Tasha is especially ineffectual in writing and performance.

18. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Well, in the latter, it's more of needing to vent, I think. Someone from a warrior race probably would get that blood lust for battle like Worf did in the holodec, and pretty much let his civilized self go wild. Picard probably knew how Klingons can become in a fight, and that's why he was concerned when Riker went on one of Worf's workouts. Why else does he do his workouts alone? Hell, we've even seen what Klingon foreplay is like later on. :p

19. Timo

It almost seems as if this is yet another ritual relating to the alien biology of our favorite Klingon worrier, a special occasion for a special stage in Klingon development.

In it, Worf invites in a fellow warrior (or the next best thing), perhaps to evaluate how well Worf does, perhaps to help him over the worst, at a time when his mental capabilities are being severely taxed by a hormonal rush; a successful fight (even if holo-simulated) proves his worth at this difficult hour. But the mental imbalance doesn't go away, and explains his freaked-out reactions later on - believing in ghost stories so much that he recommends firing a photon torpedo "just in case", losing his marbles in a maze, etc.

Worf keeps missing key Klingon rituals, such as in "Icarus Factor". Perhaps this has retarded his development, or traumatized him, and for this reason he is in fact a poor example of Klingons of his age overall? Perhaps he should be laughing and getting drunk like any good Klingon, but can't, because he wasn't spanked properly during the Age of T'antrum?

Timo Saloniemi

20. MikeS

"One bridge, One Riker!"

:lol: