15 Reasons JJ "Ruined & Destroyed" Star Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by doubleohfive, Oct 9, 2012.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wrath of Khan, too! Don't forget "Indiana Skywalker Meets the Son of Star Trek" in Best of Trek #7:

Wrath of Khan, on the other hand, is a shoot-'em-up in the style of Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark - very thrilling the first time you see it, but not much left for a second viewing...

...by the time of Wrath of Khan, the Federation appears to have been overwhelmed and drastically altered by some cataclysm - possibly revolution...

...the Enterprise has become, for all intents and purposes, a battleship...

...a wife and child, of course, who are promptly produced (out of thin air), providing [Kirk] with new (and boring) preoccupations...

...For the first time, Nimoy has been miscast as Spock...

...the Star Trek figures, as scripted, are unrecognizable...

...the conclusion is inevitable; No respect for the characters as characters was operating here. If, in the overall interests of a flashy production, the heroes had to be undignified, so be it.

We're stuck in a time loop, people!

2. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Some Trek fans do have a certain propensity to whine and complain about any new being introduced to "their" fandom.

Given some of the complaints I've seen over the last few years, I'm sure there were fans out there who refused to admit that someone else could have captained Enterprise prior to Kirk when "The Menagerie" first aired.

3. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.:vulcan:

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

See, I loved the movie, and still do, but I went in for similar reasons. I had been burned out on Star Trek, and my thoughts were "help me love Trek again". I came out of that theater feeling like a new fanboy, feeling the same way I did when TNG premiered (having been raised on TOS, I was thrilled to death when the promos ran). Trek was alive and relevant again!

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll get right on that.

6. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Pretty much the same here.

I don't mind the alternate universe thing, and I don't mind all the flashy action sequences and all, but I really would like the sequels to take themselves a bit more seriously. Some of the best hours of old Trek have been childish, sure (ST IV still my favorite Trek movie), but some serious drama from now and then couldn't hurt.

Abrams didn't destroy Star Trek. He gave it new life, and as much as I still (and always will) prefer the old one, I'm anxious to see what JJ does next. When ST XI end credits rolled, the first thing on my mind was - "MORE!" :)

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

If they kept this take on the characters strictly in movies, I could follow a film-franchise of this type of Trek. I don't think I"d like it--or that it'd work--on a weekly TV level.

8. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

New and different incarnations of Trek have always caused fractures in the fanbase. Everyone has their own opinion of what ST is and how it should be presented.

Some people bitched and eventually abandoned it with TAS. Others hung on but couldn't take changes in TMP, Others hung on but couldn't take changes in STII. Others hung on but couldn't take changes in STIII. Others hung on but couldn't take changes in STIV. Others hung on but couldn't take changes in STV. Others hung on but couldn't take changes in TNG. Etc, etc, etc.

The truefans keep hanging on instead of getting hung up.

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sigh.

For the ten billionth time, this is the difference between TV and movies, generally. Hasnt everyone noticed by now that a successful summer flick has got to be mainly action? With two hours to work with, how much time is there going to be to develop character or theme? Yes, it's a movie for the modern, casual audience. Every successful movie is. The alternative is to make a movie that is a financial failure, and drives a stake through Star Trek's heart.

The Star Trek with all that good character stuff and ideas is TV Trek. To have any hope of getting Trek back on TV, the next movie must be a hit, too. So go to the next movie ten times and tell everyone you know to go at least once. Give Bob Orci as much ammo as possible when he walks into Moonves office next summer for the pitch because it's going to be a tough sell even under the best conditions.

And even then, it will probably be animated.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

2001 doesn't make perfect sense and doesn't have perfect timing. ;)

11. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

And it's not supposed to.

what ever

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

In fact, it did the reverse...and garnered critiucal acclaim unlike any trek movie before it.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess people are ramping up the criticism because they know Darkness is coming..

WELL SUCK IT HATERS THE AWESOME WILL PREVAIL

14. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

For this post, teacake, all is forgiven. Well done! :lol: :techman:

15. teacake

All of what is forgiven?

I'm going to have pencil in at least two weeks come May devoted to this forum because I'm sure it is going to explode! I'm looking fwd it to it like other people look fwd to Nascar :lol:

16. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I was being facetious.

On topic: Here's the Twitter page of the author of the article. Not really surprised to find that he's a huge gamer. It's nice that he can use social media to broadcast how many achievements he unlocks in Transformers games, which were, obviously made only due to the success of the Transformers films which Orci and Kurtzman wrote. I guess you can bite the hand that feeds you. :lol:

https://twitter.com/biring1701

17. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same old, same old.

It had universal critical acclaim and made millions upon millions of dollars! FLOP!!!!!!

18. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I've seen this a few times and I never noticed that it said Trekbbs, probably because I didn't know what that was until about 2 months ago. I just figured they made up the name. Was it really like that in '09? I know that Trekmovie is like that, but I haven't seen much of that behavior here so far.

19. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

The thread titles in the clip are exaggerated. The Onion writers undoubtedly drew upon some of our more... special contributors.

20. teacake

Wow, I always assumed that was a mock up forum. Never saw that it actually says Trekbbs :D