Lost 5x13: "Some Like It Hoth"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 15, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

40.3%
  2. Above Average

41.9%
  3. Average

17.7%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Ah I mis-remembered about the Miles/Ben thing. So I guess they're not from Ben then. So that means Modern Day Dharma or Unknown. It's probably Dharma... wasn't their most recent Comicon online game thingee about Dharma recruiting new members in the modern day or something?

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

:lol:

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I completely missed this; the dude who abducts Miles into the van and talks about the shadow of the statue... is the same dude who gets the guns and talks about the shadow of the statue will Illana in the present day Ajira crash survivors camp!

4. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Excellent episode. I really connected with Miles' story and I felt that the scene where he saw Chang with the baby Miles was one of the most moving scenes we've had in a long time. There was other great stuff as well such as the mystery of the body, the building of the hatch, more of Chang being a badass, the great banter, Jack being cool once again and, of course, Juliet's rockin' body.

5. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I missed it too. But I did think the actor looked familiar (I just couldn't place him).

6. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Loved the episode...it made Miles a more rounded human being,rather than just a "replacement Sawyer".

Heroes recently did a similar thing, as they have also with Ben: make what was a mainly sarcastic and/or negative character even more depth than the actor has portrayed, and gave us a glimpse of these characters when they were truly more innocen

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you really must know, he's also James T. Kirk's uncle that really screws little Jimmy up. :p

8. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

Even though I missed sections of the episode I gave it an above average. We get some answers and some new questions. We didn't get the characters acting idiotically for plot purposes. (I just consider Kate an idiot so what she did was in character.) But Miles and Hurley worked well together, and the little starwars thing was funny. Even though I was expecting Fariday at the end, the actor pulls it off well enough to be a satisfying reveal. He seemed way more confident than the Fariday we'd seen in the past. He knows stuff and he's been up to no good.

9. Sxottlan

Sxottlan Commodore Commodore

I figured with it being 1977, there'd have to be a Star Wars reference at some point.

10. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow,

Not understanding all the "excellent" and "above average" comments. If there was an option in the poll that said "Boring as hell" that would have been my picked. That's 60 minitues of my life I'll never get back.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Technically, the Above Average episode only robbed you of fortyish minutes. The other twentyish were robbed of you by commercials. ;)

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow. Three excellents in a row. This show is in high gear now! :techman:

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm also really glad we're getting to see more of Dr. Chang. I was a big fan of the Wing Commander games back in the '90s, and I had a huge geek moment when Francois Chau showed up on those Dharma orientation videos way back in the early days of the show. He played a pilot named Winston "Vagabond" Chang (what a coinkidink) in Wing Commander III and Wing Commander IV. :)

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So I wasn't clear on it in the episode, but when he goes to see his mother for her confession about his father... was she dead and was he talking to her ghost?

15. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I gave this an Above Average, which is a bit of a step down from last week's Ben and Locke-fest. Still a good episode though. :techman:

After reading here about the title and the link to Empire Strikes Back I wasn't so surprised about Miles being Chang's son. Hurley 'writing' ESB for George Lucas though was funny as hell. Especially the bit about if Luke had just *talked* to Vadar, we wouldn't have had Ewoks! :lol:

Hurley's numbers being etched onto the 'new' hatch was creepy, as were the new players that picked up Miles in the van and told him he was playing for the wrong team. 'What's in the shadow of the statue?' I don't know! Again! It's got me intrigued anyway. They have nothing to do with Widmore, but I don't think they have anything to do with Ben either. Miles told them he wanted double what Widmore offered him, which turned out to be $3.2 million. Ben didn't know why 3.2 was significant back when Miles demanded it in season 4. I guess it also means the people from last week aren't diseased.

Curiouser and curiouser. :D

16. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Yes. And I want to know how they knew to get on that plane since obviously they did. And why grab Sayid?

Are they working for Ben or know they had to get Sayid on the plane to increase the chances of ending up on the Island?

17. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Did anyone else get the impression that the sounds that were being made when Miles could hear the dead sounded like the Smoke Monster? Smokey can read the thoughts of the dead, so maybe Miles became connected with the smoke monster while he was on the Island as an infant somehow, and that gave him his "gift."

This episode only gets an average from me, despite being funny at points. It didn't really reveal anything I hadn't already guessed, and seemed to be more of a set-up for upcoming events.

18. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok, help me understand. What about it did you see as excellent?

I sincerely want to know, I'm not looking for a fight. I'm trying to understand what happened that I apparently missed that was so excellent.

Aside from a few moments with Hurley, and the part where they were putting the numbers on the hatch, I couldn't see that anything really happened. The guys in the van were mildly interesting because it was like "Ok who are they and who are THEY working for?" But other than that, I just don't see the attraction. Certainly not worthy of an excellent compared to last week's show.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Great things about the ep: learning the backstory of Miles who's been a mystery for 1.5 years now. confirming Chang is Miles' Father. the Miles n Hurley comedy hour. the mysterious death connected to the Swan (ok this turned out to be mundane!). the relationship between Horace, Chang, and the "circle of trust". Naomi's return. The introduction of a new faction in the series (New Dharma?). Roger being a complete dick to Jack who was nice enough to work his shift for him. Daniel's surprise return (I was expecting to finally meet the DeGroots there).

20. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Above average. Lost is in this great production mode where it cranks about above average episodes more consistently than I think I've ever seen any series before. And, I'm a pretty tough reviewer to impress. This series has just been a total joy for quite some time now. They've particularly excelled at having interesting plot developments nearly every single episode AND keeping their characters interesting at the same time. Kudos to all involved.

I don't have many comments about the story. Interesting but not surprising that Chang is Mile's dad. Obviously we'll be seeing the incident where Mile's mom runs away with baby Miles and adult Mile's will see that incident in an entirely different light. The banter between Miles and Hurley was particularly amusing. Kind of neat seeing the hatch being built and stamped. Guessing that it was a strong magnetic field that pulled the crown through that guys brain.

Mr Awe