Favourite Trek anguish

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by lurok, Aug 22, 2012.

1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    In memory of the late William Windom. I think his Decker was one of the best anguished performances in of all Trek; I really felt the man's pain and torture. And contrast was all the greater given much of the general light tone/pop colour of TOS. And something not seen a lot in SF (Adama's snot-nosed breakdown in nuBSG is one of few comes to mind).

So what's your favourite Trek anguish performance/moment? Something where you felt watching it: man, I feel their pain. I guess Picard's FC freakout is obvious.

There's a couple of moments in VOY Jetrel, where Neelix meets the scientist who devised the weapon that exterminated his world, where Ethan Phillips almost reaches that state.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

When Chakotay found out that his lover Seska was betraying him in multi layers of betrayal.. his lover was not even the species she had led him to believe she was. She had been a Cardassian agent using him to worm her way into the Maquis. Now she was betraying his new allegiance to Voyager by selling them out to the Kazon. His anguish in this scene is palpable.. palpable I tells ya.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o98ULd9T0tk[/yt]

It just tears me up every time inside.

:: palpates Chak gently ::

He's dead Kathryn.

Anyway..

In ENT's Cold Station 12 Phlox's friend Dr. Jeremy Lucas's anguish is terrible as he watches a fellow scientist die a horrible death all the while lying that he does not have the code that would allow Soong to release him.

[​IMG]

Dr. Jeremy Lucas was played by Richard Riehle. Riehle also had roles in TNG and VOY playing other characters.

3. teacake

Mysteriously my photo of Lucas is gone.. must be because of the youtube.

ANGUISH

[​IMG]

4. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

The scene in Emissary where Sisko's fellow officer from the Saratoga has to pull him away from Jennifer and he's yelling "we can't just leave her."

5. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Kirk's reaction to the death of David Marcus. The way he stumbled back and fell on the bridge, the pain and grief in his voice - perhaps one of the best performances Shatner ever gave. I remember reading that Leonard Nimoy thought he had injured himself by falling accidentally, but it was a deliberate choice on Shatner's part.

6. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Michael Forest's performance as Apollo in his final scene in "Who Mourns for Adonais". He nailed it perfectly. You can start to see his anguish as Enterprise is destroying his power source and following right through to his realization that there isn't any more room for Gods. It is very moving and excellently portrayed.

7. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Picard dealing with Sarek's pain and regrets after his mindmeld with him in "Sarek".

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOm1dKSOq1g&feature=related[/yt]

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spock's "MOTHER!" as she fell to her death. He rematerializes reaching out to her... then the look on his and Sarek's faces :(

9. alpha_leonis

alpha_leonis Captain Captain

Doctor McCoy, reliving his father's euthenasia in STV:TFF.

10. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Trek anguish, when TPTB had all the experience and opportunity to do something wonderful with VOY and instead gave us what we got.

11. teacake

Vulcan anguish is the best :adore:

12. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spock's breakdown in Naked Time, followed by Kirk's.

"I am in control of my emotions! (breaking up) Control of my emotions."

"Jim, when I feel friendship for you, I'm ashamed."

13. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Kirk: "Khaaaaaan !!!"

:)