REMUS AND ROMULUS

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by ChowdaHead, Oct 15, 2013.

1. ChowdaHead

ChowdaHead Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

can someone please tell me how close the two are to each other? for instance, do one another look the size of the moon as we stand on earth today, or does it appear larger in the Romulus/Remus sky? cant find much information about this anywhere. curiosity kills the cat. thanks guys.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

This shows it pretty good, though the opening montage of Nemesis shows basically the same... they're close, but not close enough to influence one another's gravity as they both have their own separate orbits.

3. ChowdaHead

never watched nemesis as I heard from most it was really bad. but thank you sir for the help I appreciate it.

4. R. Star

It's not the best of the Trek movies by any stretch... I'd say it rates with a subpar episode of TNG. It's watchable anyways, and if you're curious about the Remans well that's a good source for you.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's a pic from the surface of Romulus in "The Defector"
    [​IMG]

6. ChowdaHead

thanks pal. I can see its certainly closer than our moon. very close in nemesis.

7. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

In the TOS pocketbook, "The Romulan Way", Romulus and Remus are described as being like Earth and the Moon, where Remus orbits Romulus and Romulus orbits the sun. But this book doesn't mention the Remans, or a lot of other information added after TOS, understandably, so it's information might have been completely overthrown.

8. R. Star

Nemesis states that Remus orbits the sun, but doesn't spin so one side is always day and the other night.

9. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not especially fond of the Remans being a Vulcan offshoot, myself ...

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

More of an Romulan off shoot, I would think.

11. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

There's nothing firmly establishing that they are. I prefer to think that they're another species entirely. Maybe natives to Romulus and/or Remus, and were conquered by the original Romulans.

12. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

My theory is the Remans where native to Remus. When the more advanced Romulans arrived in their ships and began to colonise nearby Romulus the Remans were either conquered or became allies.

Given how Nemesis showed the Remans conducting mining operations and the Romulans doing the flying round the galaxy in ships and running the government i tend toward the belief that the Remans previous encounters with interstellar races hadnt gone well so they were suspicious when the Romulans first showed up. The Romulans needed minerals/ore from Remus for building space ships and stuff as it wasnt in high enough quantity on Romulus but they had didfficulty with the harsh Reman atmosphere.

So the two races struck a truce where teh Remans would mine the ore for the Romulans and the Romulans would defend against otehr interstellar races. This worked well when the Romulan star empire was in expansionist phases as the Remans woudl be held in high regard for providing necessary resources but not so well for when in isolationist phases when those resources werent needed and Remans would be looked down upon.

Thats just my theory based entirely upon what we see of teh Remans in Nemesis. I havent read any of the novels and dont consider them canon anyhow.

13. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

I also have teh theory that the Romulan forehead bumps and skintone in the later series is due to interbreeding with Remans over the years. After all teh two races have been living side by side for couple centuries or more and plenty of other star trek races have interbred without knowing each other for even half as long.

Plus the Remans appear to possess certain physical traits the Romulans would admire like a higher strength and endurance and also psychic abilities that the Romulans no longer possess so there might have been a little eugenics project going on there that got abandoned quickly but left enough Reman dna in the Romulan population that the physical effects like forehead bumps and skintone became the norm.

Obviously i have had too much time to think about this :P

14. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some very interesting thoughts on the Remans ... I like the idea of them simply being a conquered race.

15. vulcan redshirt

vulcan redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Agreed, would explain why the Romulans treat them as a mix of slaves and cannon fodder, and that it was such a surprise to the Federation that a Reman could become Praetor.

The graphic in Nemesis sowing the Romulan system unfortunately does not make much sense. In general, the closer an orbiting body is to its parent, the more likely it is to be tidally locked, for example our own moon. It would appear that Remus is further from its sun than Romulus, so Romulus should be the one tidally locked.

Given that Remus looks totally barren (unless this is to do with excessive atmospheric pollution after being used for heavy industry) and that both Romulans, Remans and Shinzon were able to breathe the atmosphere in the mines, it would make sense that the Remans evolved on a standard CLass M planet and were exiled there by the Romulans, probably from Romulus itself. It looks unlikey that advanced life would evolve on Remus.

16. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Well, the rotational speed of planets is affected by a lot of things, including collisions with other bodies. It's possible Remus was a body that was hit by another body and the impact slowed its rotation, and over time it's become tidally locked.

17. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I know it's somewhat off-topic but since 2004 we do have real celestial bodies that have been named Remus and Romulus. ;)

Bob

18. EnterpriseClass

EnterpriseClass Ensign Red Shirt

Not trying to sound like a dick, but you are a Star Trek fan who hasn't watched a Star Trek movie that has been out for ten years because a bunch of other people didn't like it? Really? I find that very hard to understand. Don't YOU have an opinion? Who cares what other people think, watch the movie and make up your own mind.

19. ChowdaHead

so because im a trek fan im obligated to watch shitty movies? because im a trek fan im obligated to spend money on shitty movies? yes I value the opinions of fellow fans of film whose opinions I respect, and because I do I save 2 hours of my life once in awhile. being the fan of film that I am I did check it out not 3 days ago, and honestly, I wish I hadn't. it really didn't have much in it worth paying the rental fee for.

20. EnterpriseClass

EnterpriseClass Ensign Red Shirt

I hate to break it too you but yes being a FAN of a film series means you are obligated to watch everything of Star Trek that is released. Other wise your not a fan, your just someone who casually likes Star Trek. And if a film in the series sucks, it sucks. Don't watch it again. At least you saw it and can form your own opinion on it.

And enough with the melodrama please. Nemesis wasn't that great but it was far from the steaming pile you make it out to be. It's sounds like you went into it with the preconceived idea that it sucks because people you know say so. So that's exactly how you saw it.

I'm not saying it was a good movie, but acting like it was so bad you wish you could go back in time and stop yourself from seeing it is crazy. You're telling me as a Star Trek fan there was absolutely nothing in Nemesis even remotely good about it? Please.:rolleyes:

I will ever understand people's need to conform to the majority opinion on a film. I wouldn't care if literally every single person on the planet saw a movie and said it sucked. I would always form MY OWN opinion on it.

And yes before you try and say otherwise, you DID conform to other people's opinions without forming your own. As a Star Trek fan, you didn't watch a Star Trek movie for over ten years because someone else had a negative opinion on it. And it doesn't matter that you say it sucks now that you've seen it. For ten years it could have been the greatest Star Trek movie every made, in your opinion, but you wouldn't know that until you've seen it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013