3 more TOS novels added to S&S catalog for 2013

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Jul 8, 2012.

1. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They wouldn't do that with this batch - these are meant to be the "movie tie-ins", and building in interconnectedness would just be shooting themselves in the foot.

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i dunno about DTF, but i do know No Surrender was one of the weakest SCEs in my not-at-all-humble opinion.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But standalone books can be consistent with each other and maybe include subtle nods to each other if the authors choose to coordinate them, as Greg and I did with The Rings of Time and Forgotten History. Interconnectedness doesn't have to mean full-blown serialization; it can be far more subtle.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hopefully Tony Daniel's Trek offering will be better than his Batman work at DC. I'm not a fan of his, but I'll check out the book out of curiosity. Looking forward to Greg's new book though!

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

For the record, that's not any sort of official editorial policy. I certainly didn't receive any instructions along those lines. Nobody told me to avoid "interconnectedness" because of the movie or any other reason. I submitted a proposal. It got approved, with the usual tweaks, and that was that.

At no point was the subject of "connectivity" ever discussed.

In fact, I'm the one who pitched another standalone TOS book like Rings of Time, simply because I'd just finished watching all three seasons of the original series again and was inspired to write some more classic TOS.

As I've mentioned before, people tend to overestimate the amount of "showrunning" involved. It was not like I got any sort of directives telling me what kind of book to write. Sometimes it's just a case of some pushy author saying "I'm really in a mood to write TOS right now . . . "

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  6. Greg Cox

Different "Tony Daniel." This isn't the comic book writer who wrote for BATMAN. This is a completely different science fiction writer who just happens to have the same name!

(Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to clear this up right away!)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  7. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I will appreciate new TOS novels, if well written.

8. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Don't really care about interconnectedness in TOS books, of premier interest to me is good characterisation(especially the kirk-spock-mccoy dynamic).

Preferably frontier exploration - there's just something about exploring the edges of known space in the TOS era that trumps the same thing in other series.

9. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tony Daniel, Comic book writer

Tony Daniel, Sci-Fi writer

10. Christopher

^Which one's the guy who plays C-3PO? :D

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Glen Quagmire

12. Greg Cox

13. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Oh, great - MORE TOS!!!:beer:

14. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just about to read Forgotten History. How does it refer to The Rings of Time?

15. Christopher

In passing. There are two brief references to its events in Chapter V.

16. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good point. I was assuming that Relayer1 was looking for something more substantial, but you're right, things like those, or even the early 80s shared TOS continuity, show that there can be novels that are consistent but not tightly bound like most 24th century novels are nowadays.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't really have strong feelings about these either way at the moment. I'll have to wait for the descriptions to see which interest me.

18. Sxottlan

Sxottlan Commodore Commodore

It was awful. One of the worst Trek books I ever read.

Naturally, I hope his next is better. :)

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

To be honest, anything that makes the TOS era richer and more coherent makes me happy. Although it's not my favourite era (apart from Vanguard), I'm fairly well represented as wanting the post Vanguard 23rd Century to be handled more like the 24th.

Christopher's stuff has interconnectedness all the way through, joining dots where I sometimes hadn't even seen the dots, let alone the join ! It doesn't always have to be that way however - That Which Divides certainly had some links and so do some of the other stand alones, without beating you over the head with it. Conversely, Troublesome Minds was really too isolated for my taste.

Given a choice re the original crew I'd prefer more TMP era stuff too...

20. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Hrm. Maybe I'll wait for reviews before picking up folded world then.