Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Children of Khan...that sounds interesting:cool:
    I take it that was supposed to be something related to the augments? I agree with you that they should not announce anything until they are sure they can manage it.

Who knows, maybe they but the 2800 back to the game, as part of the season 6 package.
    I hope we will get those starbases for the fleets that they have been talking about. And I think there is meant to be some missions for the fleets to build/equip them(or something like that).
    I would personally like to have some sort of "capture starbase" groud PvP/PvE map, Klingons vs. Federation naturally. Maybe as an extension to the Starbase 24.
    Some other non-Borg STFs would be nice, too.
    They could also use the foundry to create new missions or have a competition, where the winner would get his/hers mission officially published to the game.

Then there is naturally the eternal problem of the lack of (new) and original content to the KDF faction. I hope there will be some improvements to that with season 6.
    We could use more missions, costume + ship options/packs...and maybe some STFs totally unique to the KDF side. That is a lot to ask, I know.
    Plus Daniel Stahl has mentioned once that only around 20 percent of the players of STO are actively playing the KDF faction. If this is true, I doubt they are very eager to create any massive updates to the KDF.
    I do hope that I am wrong, because I think playing Klingon(s) is a lot of fun..and cool:techman:

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Although I only play the Klingon faction (I've invested too much into my character to create a new one), the 20% number wouldn't surprise me. There's not a lot of content, so why would people actively play their KDF characters? Not creating new content based upon those numbers is purely circular reasoning. I hope it's not true.

(Then again, my transwarp capabilities STILL don't work for the KDF player beyond level 2, even though I should have them at level 4, so I don't expect a lot from the devs at this point.)

4. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

A +1 Sovereign. I have to admit that sounds enticing. The Sovereign's a lovely ship, and a bit of a badass, too. It would be nice to finally change over to something as powerful as the current Excelsior. Don't get me wrong, the Odyssey is nice, but it moves like a skyscraper (because it pretty much is one), and is just lacking to me. I love my Excelsior, but after playing it for well over a year (aside from switching to another ship for a day or two), it gets really monotonous after a while.

6. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Ditto, I'd love to have an excuse to use the Sovereign.

7. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

The best part is, Jamjamz knows that the current Sovereign is not accurate to what was on screen. I am confident that we'll get those errors corrected.

8. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gates of Stovokor made an interview with Dan Stahl not so long ago, naturally talking about the KFD:
    http://www.gatesofstovokor.com/?p=453#more-453.

I found this part interesting:
    Anyway, there is now the new Shuttle event in the game.
    Has anyone tried that one out yet..and is it any good?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  9. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

The shuttle stf sounds interesting. Somebody mentioned that they plan to use the Captain's yacht, but I would probably use the Delta Flyer.

10. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Okay, am I totally blind, or has the "fleet" tab in the menus just...vanished? I can't find it anywhere.

11. Timelord Victorious

It was there earlier today when I was in game... If they took it out then hopefully because they finally fix that annoying roster bug that shows lots of people online without them being... online.

12. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I have tried the new shuttle 4 times and it isn't easy. The main goal is to fight your way past three rooms to capture the Thalaron device in room 3. Each room also has several sub-objectives that must be completed before the next room is unlocked.

Room 1:
    1) Keeping Obisek's ship from getting too much damage.
    2) Destroy waves of Romulan scorpion fighters.
    3) Reroute power from 2 nodes at certain times, defended by 2-3 scorpion fighters.
    4) Do this all within X minutes.

Room 2:
    2) Destroy waves of Romulan scorpion fighters AND Bird of Preys.
    3) Do something with 4 cores, all of them are defended by a cluster of turrets and scorpion fighters.
    4) Do this all within X minutes.

Room 3:
    2) Destroy waves of Romulan scorpion fighters, Bird of Preys AND finally a D'Dridex.
    3) Do something with with something, probably even more heavily defended.
    4) Avoid a massive cone attack every minute. It is identical to Donatra's massive cone attack in Khitomer Accord Space.
    5) Do this all within X minutes.

As you can imagine, each room gets progressively tougher and from what I have seen, very few groups have managed to win this event although I'm sure that will change when people get more familiar with the event and come up with winning strategies.

So far, the strategy that works is to have 3 shuttles protect Obisek's shuttle while the remaining 2 shuttles complete the secondary objectives.

13. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

I always find it handy to have a point defence console for shuttle missions - they're way overpowered as they don't scale down when you're in a shuttle. :D

14. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

how?

curious about this as the point defense console is ship specific...

unless you mean the Automated Defense Turret console... but i wouldn't call that overpowered in the least...

M

15. Timelord Victorious

They changed most of teh consols a while back to not be ship specific anymore.
    The only consoles that still are, are saucer sep, ablative super armor on the Intrepid , cloaks and Transwarp I believe

16. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

ahh my bad, i was sure the point defence doobry was still specific...

M

17. Hitman

Hitman Vice Admiral Admiral

The vault mission is simple, once one knows what to do and with whom. If one's team is OK, it can be done with one player doing the objectives while another serves as a wingman, and the rest on guard duty.

I have already a few missions under the belt, and failed only a few at the start. In the end, it is easier then the elite STFs.

But again, there is a huge problem with this mission, or even two. For starters the bloody schedule means one can only do it every other day, perhaps even once per week, especially for European players such as myself.

I've done it a few times since last Friday only because I can only play STO while at work. But finding competent people to play with, it gets really frustrating fast. If you don't have the freedom at your workplace as I do, then you're screwed.

The other problem is it is just another nearly endless grind to get the purple MKII sets, something in the order of almost 130/140 missions. That won't fly with me, I won't do this mission 140 times, absolutely no way, especially with the scheduling issues.

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I've never even been on while it's happening, so I've played it 0 times so far...

19. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I just heard an interview with the sto dev that's in charge of STF set rewards. He points out that the system is designed with the following features:

A) The difference in stats between Mk XI and Mk XII is intentionally very small. Mk XII set is designed more to give players a unique costume/look rather than for stats. Mk XII set is really intended as a reward for very hardcore players who enjoys running lots of STFs.

B) Even with extremely bad luck, it is still possible to obtain a complete set of Mk XI with 120 successful runs (Assuming the player has the bad luck of only getting 1 EDC per run). In reality, most players will be able to get enough Borg salvage tech/EDCs to get a complete set after 40+ STF runs.

C) Cryptic's intention is to release a new STF costume set every 3-4 months. When that happens, the new costume set will replace the current Mk XII costume set. The current Mk XII set will then be obtainable using EDCs.

My thoughts are that if this is really their intention, then Cryptic should not have labelled the STF sets as "Mk XII". It creates a huge misunderstanding to the playerbase that "Mk XII" is better than "Mk XI" set. For example, instead of the Omega Mk XII set, call it the Omicron Mk XI set.

It looks like the Vault Shuttle set also follows the STF design where the Mk XII set is intended for hardcore players who is willing to run hundreds of Vault shuttle missions.

20. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Well, this is odd. My password isn't working and the password reset email isn't getting to my inbox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.