DVD Artwork

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by 72Orange, Sep 16, 2009.

1. 72Orange

72Orange Cadet Newbie

Hello all, I'm a newbie to this forum and was looking for some help. I am in the process if dubbing my Original Movies, 1 through 6 from VHS to DVD. I was hoping to find some DVD artwork to put on them to fancy them up. I'm looking for the actual DVD labels, but not the box artwork. Anyone know where I can find this? Thanks in advance!!!

2. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Why not just buy the real DVDs and be done with it?

3. 72Orange

72Orange Cadet Newbie

Because I don't have an endless supply of cash ... or are you going to lend me the money :rolleyes:

Anybody have anything helpful to add? :techman:

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Google: trek dvd custom cover art

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You can go to Wal-Mart and get the two-disc collectors editions for like $5.00 a piece.

6. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Google as DS9Sega suggested. I remember someone on the boards linked to a great fan made series of DVD covers to replace the factory made articles. If you owned all the series and movies, placing them side by side produced a great montage using the spines of the covers.

And yes, I'm considering doing the same with some of my old VHS tapes that either don't seem to be available on DVD or are just too expensive to pick up. Besides which, VHS has a sort of charm now, what with the old ads and all that. I like that my old Manga tapes remind me that I'm about to be blasted into the 21st century :p

7. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

And FYE sells used discs. There's also plenty of stuff on Ebay, Amazon and other sites discounted way down from retail.

www.dvdpricesearch.com is a good way to find and keep up on sales and discounts.

8. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Dubbing VHS copies to DVD ?????????

:eek:

To 'save money' ???

Aren't VHS movies copy protected? Are these copies, ones you taped off TV ???
    If so, you're dubbing 'home copies' to DVD ????

Are they at least wide-screen VHS copies or are you dubbing 'Pan & Scan' copies???

We're not trying to be jerks, but this seems from a distance a very dubious project, but at least some folks told you the info you wanted.

And if you can't afford $5 for these movies new or used on DVD---how can you afford to spend time (which is, after all money) goofing around dubbing 240 line resolution VHS on to blank DVDs (which cost money last time i looked)

Oh well, to each his own.

9. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some people dont have money, like me. I am 16 and i currently have about 87 pence. :D

10. 72Orange

72Orange Cadet Newbie

Nothing dubious. I bought a VHS to DVD recorder. I am transferring all my sons cartoons and kiddy shows to DVD so that we can save room. As you know VHS takes up a ton of space. I have a VHS box set from years ago that has Star Trek Motion Pictures through the VI movie. I thought I would do the same for them and I thought having decent labels on them would look nice instead of using a marker to write on them.

Forgive me guys. :(

And I can afford the $5 ... but why should I pay for what I already have. The quality of the transferred VHS is just fine for me and my son.

11. 72Orange

72Orange Cadet Newbie

And this is the one I have except the First Contact.

[​IMG]

12. LisbonPlayer

LisbonPlayer Commander Red Shirt

You probably have already found the covers you want but here's the link to Ric Easton gorgeous covers. You'll find the link to the movies is at the bottom of the page.
    http://www.rixgrafix.com/index_015.htm

13. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still have all my VHS collection which extend from TOS to ENT Season 1.

They don't take up that much room! :p

[​IMG]

Since this photo was taken, I've parted with a few items admittedly. Switching many of my TNG 2-per-tape, for these later bumper editions... just because I liked the redesign!

[​IMG]

I can see there's absolutely no point in explaining my sentimental attachment here... aside from saying it represents my misspent youth. It was just the whole experience - the covers, the artwork, sleeve notes like character profiles on the reverse, 1990's trailers (which nobody from Paramount ever gave a rat's ass about to include as extras on the DVD sets) and in the case of The Original Series... introductions from the late, great James Doohan, George Takei or Walter Koenig.

Like this for instance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAjuT75nM-g

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  14. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

This is why Blu Ray can go to hell. I've traded up my VHS movies for DVD. I might consider trading up...when we've upgraded to Krytonian memory crystals. And one crystal holds...all Star Trek material. For a really affordable price. And I get decent discount credit for having already bought the stuff twice. I know, you can say it: bitter much? :rolleyes:

No more double dipping.

15. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Augh! If you leave those top rows of tapes laying on their flat sides for a long time, they'll sag on the reels! Get them vertical!

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly the way I feel. After I've spent the last six years replacing my video tapes with DVD's (an ongoing process since not everything in my collection is available yet), now they come out with Blue Ray. Yeah, I understand that Blue Ray is suposedly "better", but, they've already had one format war (the deceased HD-DVD), and you just know that within five to ten years, something else will be thought up that will make the Blue Ray that everybody presently loves so much, defunct by then.

In answer to the OP's question, I am doing the same thing with my tapes, putting them on DVD-R, but I am limiting myself to rare stuff, not availale on DVD presently, and old tapes that are on the verge of falling apart, so I can understand your monetary concerns, but what the others here hae said is true, you can find the Star Trek movies for as low as $5.00 in some places, most notably Amazon. I did that for all ten of them and am enjoying them alot. Plus, my old VHS copies were unable to be transfered, so getting the DVD's were my only option.

As to why you would want them, each one comes with a second disk that has alot of interesting bonus material on a second disk. Not all of it is worth the money, true, but most of it is.

17. hamudm

hamudm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the SE versions are ALL in the 2/$10 bin at Wal-Mart. It'll cost you $50... probably worth it bud ;)