how many of you realy like the TOS tv show

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by kennysmith, Jun 3, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like that old adage about feet and mouths.

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Keep going, dude.
    [​IMG]

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

At its best (i.e. the Emma Peel years), I'd put THE AVENGERS up there with TOS. It had a unique charm and oddness about it (which the Uma Thurman movie tried and failed to capture).

My memories of M:I are pretty fuzzy at this point, but I remember liking it as a kid. Alas, I probably haven't seen an episode since its original run so I can't rate it with any sort of confidence.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  4. OBXTrekkie

OBXTrekkie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Ditto. :techman:

5. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was the show that started it all. There are some excellent stories as well, although some of the writing does show its age. FX can be upgraded, but outdated attitudes are another matter.

6. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course, the argument could be made that if you go through life applying current attitudes to something written almost 50 years ago, you will ALWAYS be dissapointed, and therefore angry, and never enjoy anything.

This is why you should simply enjoy things for what they are, and let it go at that.

Now, to answer the thread question: It's Star Trek, and I don't care how old it is. I loved it as a kid, I love it now, and I will love it in the future.

7. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

^I agree completely.

Good choices. With the exception of The Outer Limits and The Avengers, all can be found on Me-TV (check your local listings). :techman:

8. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree. :vulcan:

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

TOS will forever be the best Trek series.

I loved Sunday mornings when I was a kid. The local network would air a repeat of the week's TNG episode and then follow it up with two episodes of TOS.

Pretty much three hours of pure awesome every weekend.

10. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

The 1960s Star Trek show (calling it tos sounds rude and untrue as well!:D) is certainly my favourite of the various Trek shows. I like the characters, the humour and the sense of fun and adventure.

It's one of my favourite sci-fi shows generally as well (probably in my top five - stiff competition of course from the likes of Doctor Who, Blakes 7, Space: 1999 and Sapphire and Steel). Generally I prefer British tv overall, but again Star Trek is in the top rank of those American shows I like to watch.

11. teacake

Calling it tos sounds rude? As in tosser?

12. controlfreak

controlfreak Commander Red Shirt

Loved it. Especially the pre-Coon episodes.

13. Andrew_Kearley

Yeah. Or it's a load of toss!

14. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

What is that, a British curse, or something? It sounds familiar, but I can't place it.

15. desertstarlover

desertstarlover Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

To me, saying "that is where it all started" is not enough. I was there on day one, in great anticipation and it did not let that 12 year old girl, (me) down. I still watch it every Saturday on MeTV and with great anticipation.

I admit, some episodes are better than others, but I stop and think just how amazing it was to have something like this on TV in the 60's. There was nothing remotely like it. It broke many taboos and it paid the ultimate price.

It was not popular in the deep south, where I am from. I mean A WOMAN, in a command position on the bridge? It didn't get past me that maybe I could be something more than 'barefoot and pregnant' when I grew up. So, I became a software engineer - in Silicon Valley. I attribute my 'brashness and grit' that I could do this to Star Trek.

Let us not forget the contribution that this show has made. I am sure I am not the only female TOS fan with this kind of story to tell.

16. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I love your post, desertstarlover. I'm about your age, but didn't discover Star Trek until midway through the TNG.

17. desertstarlover

desertstarlover Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Thank you! :) It doesn't matter when you discovered Star Trek, it only matters that it made a difference in your life.

18. Andrew_Kearley

It's a slightly less rude way of saying wank.

19. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    To me, entertainment is entertainment. It doesn't change my life, it kills my time. That being said, TOS is one of the most entertaining series I have ever seen, and remains one of my favourite ones.

20. teacake

"Change your life" and "difference in your life" are.. different.

All that time you had to do useful productive things with that you have now KILLED has meant your life is different.

You can't escape Star Trek. IT EVOLVES YOU FROM WITHIN.