Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    It's up to you if you have the money to spend. But the advice not to buy anything that cant help you at lvl50 is good advice.

Being a big trekkie, I've put in a bit of real money for zen. Mostly for account unlocks as well, but I have also purchased 2 ships so far. I've been happy with my purchases.
    Personaly, I'm not sure I could spend money on anything like uniforms, though I would really like to get TNG uniforms. But I wont spend anything on that.
    It's really up to you and what your willing to spend and put into the game. Buying the NX-01 to cruise around in would be fun but remember, whatever the cost of that ship, youre only going to get a very limited time of play to use it before its just not usable. I kind of look at it like a rollercoaster or some type of ride. Your paying to use it and its fun but it will be over soon and you dont get anything else back for what you put into it.
    Just make sure you think it over before making any decisions.

2. NX-01ftw

NX-01ftw Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Thanks. Im close to adding a new ship so I might just wait and see what it is. Right now I am at level 15.

3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, the NX is a decent starter ship and the bundle (not sure if that is still available) comes with the NX uniforms for both regular and mirror universe and I think a shuttlepod pet.

The NX class comes with a grappler universal console which you can still use on other ships if you like.

While it is unique visually with the fired cable hooks it works like a weak tractor beam power and is not entirely unseless even at endgame if you need an additional motion debuff on a single enemy.

If you decide to get it and it's still available go for the bundle.

A better investment from a gameplay standpoint would be the Steam starter pack, though. It comes with a T1 and T5 Steamrunner class ship with really powerful abilities.

4. Timelord Victorious

Then you are already past the main usefulness of the NX class.

5. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

My personal advice would be to not bother buying anything until 50, or 40 at the earliest. Simply because you need to learn the game and figure out what you really need. Its easy to spend money on things you think you need and then to find out right after you didnt need to.
    IMO you should do 1 character up first. If you decide to make another character, then that would be a good time to buy low level items, should you choose to!

6. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

So the game is down. Does that mean I have to other stuff? :(

7. Timelord Victorious

You could check out the awesome new ESD on the Tribble Test Server instead. That one was still up an hour ago.

8. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

^ Don't have tribble yet. Might thinking about getting access to it sometime in the future.

9. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

grind grind grind

I need to get more experienced players into my Fleet so we can do more stuff. :(

10. Timelord Victorious

How far along are you?

11. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

With what? Rep or Fleet?

12. Timelord Victorious

Fleet, since we talked about your fleet progress.

13. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Right. lol

It's slowed down a bit, I think 2 of the people who were really helping decided to stop playing. They're still in the Fleet but they haven't been online in some time.

Fleet is L4. Starbase still tier 1. If we had kept moving, should have been at Tier 2 by now.
    Ive also been away and haven't contributed as much the last 2 weeks as normal.
    And I know I need to get the Fleet up more before I can really start doing more advanced stuff anyways. I had planned on doing the Fleet mostly by myself in the first place and was in no rush. I think just so many people started joining and helping me that it got me excited it was going so fast haha.

14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Figured you'd run into that wall sooner or later, which is why I tossed out the merger idea a little while ago. It's all fun and games at first and everyone's got stuff and contributing. After a little while, though, that really slows down to just a few people, and it's tough to keep going without a really dedicated group.

And the real bitch of it is: each level is substantially worse than the last. If you're having trouble making points in the lower levels, imagine the millions in credits and DIL you're going to need for the next stage, and the next one is more than that...

Honestly at this point, can't see where it makes sense to have people create a new fleet, or even stay with a low level one. Just SO far behind, and with the 4 extra holdings (soon to be 5) on top of just the starbase, going to be hopelessly behind and getting worse all the time.

All my two cents, but in your position just can't wrap my head around the effort required to even get to the TrekBBS level, much less to completion. We're what, level 12 or 13? Something like that. And that was with working on it since day 1, back when it was just the Starbase, and with lots of people having been burnt out on donating along the way.

[shrug]

Good that you're excited about it, but once that wears off, how far do you see yourself going? Going to spend real money to keep it moving, or grind DIL until you hate the game to try and pay things off? Some of the upgrades even at our mid-level, are a million DIL and tens of thousands of Fleet marks. Good luck, I guess.

15. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

I figured as soon as we started talking about my Fleet someone would post this again.
    Yes, I am aware of everything your saying. And maybe some day I may give up and sell of the Fleet or something and just join an already larger one but till then Im happy working away on it.

16. Timelord Victorious

Yeah, people don't want to keep you from accomplishing your goals, it's just the enormous herculean task you set yourself they try to put in perspective.

1 completed T5 Starbase is 100%.
    1 completed T4 Starbase is 40%.
    1 completed T3 Starbase is 20% (this is where we are now. a bit more than that actually. possibly 30% and we've been at it since the start of season 6 1.5 years ago!!!
    1 completed T2 Starbase is 10%.
    1 completed T1 Starbase is just 5%.
    We will likely work on starbase completion for at least 2 more years and finish T4 with some luck by the end of the year.

And that is JUST the Starbase, not the (so far) 4 holdings.

17. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

I agree, it's a large task. However, STO is free, and I have time to play :) I look forward to spending several years working on it!

I like how you layed out the %s, thank you! I kinda figured it was like that but does give a better perspective that way.

I am also only really focusing on Starbase projects right now. If everything is on cooldown and I want to contribute, I toss into Spire, as I would like Spire T2 for the ships :)

18. Timelord Victorious

o be honest, I fear I made a significant mistake there somewhere and it's actually far worse. :lol:

Can someone confirm those numbers?

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Can't get into it from here, but that's the jist of it if not exactly right. And yeah, not trying to bully you into it or anything, just pointing out that you're really NOT cruising right along, haven't even shifted into first gear yet :) Going by the numbers, the several years you intend to spend on it will just get you close to where we are now ;)

The first little bit seems like it will go ok, but each one is exponentially worse than the last, and you end up burning out the couple big contributors early in the process, leaving you without much help once it starts getting hard. Would love to see the percentages on the abandoned or stalled fleets, but would bet there's thousands at or around the area we're talking about, that either didn't make it to T2 or JUST got there, and won't ever see T3. And yeah, that's just the starbase, forget the 4 (so far, soon to be 5) additional holdings that come with it.

Just seems like one of those tasks, in general, that if you didn't start when it came out, I don't see how you ever catch up or finish. Either way, enjoy, and if you ever feel like jumping ahead and joining forces, let us know. You'd be getting in on a fleet that's halfway done the starbase and around 1/2 to 2/3rds done the other holdings, depending on which one you're talking about. Could be putting your efforts into finishing those up vice trying to get them off the ground.

And in case you're hoping for fun or reward? Nope, just grind. Other than pride (i suppose) in the fact that YOU were the one that donated all 100 Mil DIL or whatever, there's no 'fun' in doing the build. Not a rewarding experience, just a grind, with more grind behind it :lol:

And from our perspective, it would obviously be more fun with more active members in the fleet. Both contributing to the projects (obviously) and actually just around in chat, or up for STFs, or whatever. Our fleet is actually pretty good from a project perspective, but it's pretty quiet in chat and on the roster sometimes when I'm on. Can usually find a quick game through EliteSTF or something, but would be nice with more active Fleet members...

And obviously to everyone's benefit if it happened sooner rather than later, as the more you donate to your personal fleet, the more you'll feel committed to it and people will just quit altogether rather than try to merge later. I mean, that's how I'd feel about OUR fleet at this point. Been pouring stuff into it for the whole 1.5-2 years or whatever, so can't really see myself leaving it for another one at this point, too much into it. Only way I'd stop now is to stop playing, or join a T5 fleet that's pretty much done already. But if someone had come in when we were T1 and offered to absorb us all into a T3 fleet, we'd probably have had to talk about it. And we'd be done now. There actually were some talks along those lines a year ago, but our 'casual, no fleet politics' attitude kept us wanting to remain independent, kinda afraid of being absorbed, diluted, and end up leaving when we don't like things. Can't speak for everyone here, but favorite part of our fleet is that there are NO politics (hell, i became Admiral because the former leaders just hadn't logged in in a long time and I wanted to see what happened if I clicked the button :) ), no pressure to donate, or keeping track of how much you put in vice how many provisions you use, no perks for the leaders that are denied the 'unwashed masses', etc.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  20. Timelord Victorious

I checked the numbers again.

Each main starbase division requires 250,000 XP to max them out.
    Currently we are at

Tac: 73,800
    Engineering: 71,500
    Science: 64,800

So in total roughly at little over 40%?

This is not counting the exponentially more expensive upgrade projects to proceed to the next tiers.
    Those likely downgrade the progress closer to 30% again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.