tos enterprise layout

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by astarguy, Feb 5, 2012.

1. astarguy

astarguy Ensign Red Shirt

i have a question for all fans of the original ship. The question is this: Were there doors from the corridors into the crew's quarters only between the living area, or were there also doors straight in to the sleeping section also? I am looking for a cannon answer, but if there is none what would everyone's opinion be?

2. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Just a door into the living area, IIRC.

3. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Check out this stage layout for the original STAR TREK. There are two doors, one into the living/office area and another into the sleeping area. Depending on whose cabin this was dressed as, say Spock or Janice Rand, the living and sleeping area configuration were flipped from Kirk's.

Check out this screencap from "Journey to Babel":

[​IMG]
    "Journey To Babel"; Kirk's Cabin by Clark "Kal-El" Kent, on Flickr

4. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, there are two doors into the cabin, but no door between cabin sections. And then there is a door into what is presumed to be the bathroom section.

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Just for clarification, there's of course a doorway between the sections, just no sliding door built into it. But the partial grille at that location, to one side of the doorway, probably somewhat inspired the ST:TMP interpretation where the sliding door is there but is fully transparent.

Timo Saloniemi

6. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^How is that a clarification? :p Now I'm totally confused. ;)

It's a matter of semantics as to whether the divider between the two sections should be considered a "door" or not. Nevertheless, I think in this case, it does not qualify as a "door" in the sense that the OP meant by the use of the term?

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

A "doorway" perhaps, but one that does not including a actual door.

:)

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, a hole in a wall, goes all the way down to the floor so not a window. A bit wider than the usual 80 cm minimum width for a doorway, tho. But not by much.

For a long time, I thought they blocked off this hole-in-the-wall somehow to create Garrovick's quarters in "Obsession". They didn't; they just hid things in violet shadows. The doorway has never been closed by anything AFAIK.

Timo Saloniemi

9. astarguy

astarguy Ensign Red Shirt

thanks to all that replied you have been big help thanks.