Questions for Bring Back Janeway Panel

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Kirsten Beyer, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Kathryn J.

Kathryn J. Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Just using Kirsten's own words...

[​IMG]

2. forrie

forrie Ensign Newbie

Kirsten,

I hope this message finds you (and yours) doing well.

The thread has been quiet for quite some time, so I thought I would check in and see if there were any tidbits you might have to add -- though I imagine if there were, you would have posted here :-)

Forrest

3. Kirsten Beyer

Kirsten Beyer Writer Red Shirt

Hi Forrest,

All is well, thanks. The only recent announcement is that I am currently writing the next Voyager novel, entitled The Eternal Tide, and it is currently scheduled for released in September of 2012. It will wrap up two of the major story arcs from the stories and begins immediately following the events of Children of the Storm.

Am I the only one who can't look at that picture now without thinking of the recent GOP debate in Vegas? Damn you, CNN.

Best,
    Kirsten

4. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

She's got him by the ass there. Testing his loins it seems. That's Janeway all over.

5. Chuckling

Chuckling Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Why Kathryn J.?

Why should Janeway be resurrected?
    Is it Kate Mulgrew you want brought back or Janeway?

Chuckling :rommie:

6. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Because she can be brought back, her fans want her to be brought back and there is no good reason not to.

7. Kathryn J.

Kathryn J. Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Kirsten, there might be the Americans thinking of politic debates seeing pix of LV (so you recognized the location ;) ), but there are lots of Star Trek, ST: Voyager and Janeway fans who think about wrong politics "made in the 24th century" by celebrating -almost worshipping- war, destruction and genocide in recent Trek lit and "Abram's Trek".
    You mustn't forget that Janeway has thousands of fans outside the United States. A part of them is on the BBS, a lot of them (more than 850 now) in our Facebook group.
    To them this picture means a final happy ending of Full Circle's prologue as well as Isabo's Shirt.
    Kirsten, did you know, when I suddenly found myself in "Venice" there - MY only thought was thinking about your novel. (Thankfully I had my action figures with by chance.) I'm convinced that Janeway being with the Q won't rest until she would be able to break out and become herself again.

@Chuckling: I want to see Janeway being brought back to Trek lit.
    I would like to see a new Trek movie with Janeway in it too, of course. In canon Janeway isn't dead anyway.

"We all know that in science fiction nobody is really dead. They can be brought back every time."
    Scott Bakula at FedCon XX

When you HONESTLY want to know WHY we want to have Janeway back and you would be open minded and added to this WILLING to get to know it, then I suggest you to thoroughly read here: http://www.newearth-jcparadise.de/bring_back_janeway.php
    Following the included links you'll get a complete view on the topic.

8. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Kathryn Janeway should be resurrected, of course, because she was the most important character of the Voyager TV show, actually its heart and soul, and the "Voy" books without her are not really Voyager, they are only stories with a ship and some of the original Voyager characters, and now many non-canon characters taking over, and that's not what most Voyager fans want to read. The current "Voy" novels reflect the sad state of affairs of Trek lit today, where death and destruction are more important than the true Trek spirit of life and adventure, and characters are considered expendable no matter how important they have become to so many fans. Every day on Facebook we hear from people who can't understand how such an iconic character like Kathryn Janeway, who was close to many Voyager fans' hearts (and I'm not saying all, so don't comment and say, well not me; am just saying many, many), could have been so cruelly rid of in the Trek books, and why can't she be brought back, since it wouldn't seem that difficult to do for the imaginative Trek book authors. They are saddened to hear KJ is considered unnecessary by the TPTB of Pocket Books and regretfully decide they can no longer continue to read the Star Trek books they used to enjoy, since without Kathryn Janeway that universe is no longer one they want to experience. That includes me, a long time Trek fan and former book reader. Bring KJ back, we know she lives!!!

9. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

OH PLEASE :roll eyes:

You people need to get over yourselves. Janeway was one fictional character in a universe full of fictional characters. If Data and Kirk can stay dead in Trek lit then there is no reason why Janeway needs to "live" forever.

Let Trek lit be the one place where Janeway need never again blight another story.

10. Gotham Central

Ok...if she is not dead in canon...why the bitching? Let Trek lit be the place where Janeway is dead and move on? If you can accept that Trek lit is not the official timeline...then be equally accepting that it is the place that is devoid of her presence. There are plenty of other equally non-canon places for Janeway to contaminate. She's apparently still alive in the STO timeline. Enjoy that universe. If Trek lit has no claim to legitimacy as the carrying on the legacy of the original trek universe then no one should really care what they do.

Let Janeway stay dead in Trek lit so that those of us that enjoy a universe without her can do just that. Get your Janeway fix elsewhere.

11. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Janeway already died several times in the show, what does it matter? Clearly there's no stopping the beast.

12. Gotham Central

I actually read your site. On several occasions you mention that Kirk, Spock, Sisko, Data and Trip were resurrected. The only problem is that that's not true. When was Sisko dead? In the finale of DS9 it was stated rather explicitly that he was not dead, he was with the Prophets and that he would come back to be with his family. Sisko...not dead! Never was dead.

Data...in Trek lit Data is dead. We'll ignore the fact that he's a machine and thus technically not capable of dying in the traditional sense. But as far as Trek lit is concerned...the character is gone. Just because the guys that made the new movie decided to resurrect the character in a non-canon comic does not mean the same will happen in Trek lit. Its just like Janeway being alive in ST Online but not Trek lit. They don't have to all have the same outcome.

Kirk...In Trek lit is STILL DEAD. William Shatner, by virtue of who he is can do what he wants. That said, as far as the onscreen canon and the mainline of Trek lit has been concerned, James Kirk met his final end on Verridian III. The Shatner books do their own thing and have nothing to do with any other version of the Series.

Spock is, to date, the only character in Star Trek to legitimately die and actually get resurrected. He has the distinction of having that done in canon and it was a REALLY BIG DEAL when it happened. Star Trek, unlike you average comic book, usually treats death as permanent.

13. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Not a good reason, we want to read Trek Lit stories about Admiral Janeway and Voyager and her crew. Why don't you find your "Current Trek Universe" fix elsewhere. Your "wants" in Trek Literature are not superior to ours. In fact if she was brought back you can still read books without her. It's time to share with all of Treks various fans, not the few.

14. Chuckling

You're creating your own stories about her. You're creating your own Trek Lit. and that's been going on since the character was first created!

You speak as if the entire world of *Star Trek* fandom is up in arms and demanding Janeway's return but even casual observance around the *Star Trek* websites indicates it's only a few people posting repeatedly.

In other words, it's the few demanding they get their own way over the interests of the rest of the paying public. The writers and publishers make their judgement calls governed by criteria other than yours. i.e. what sells in the market as opposed to what a few people THINK is happening the world over.

So what?

All this means is that YOU get to do the writing of the Janeway character. YOU get to create the stories about Captain Janeway now and people can read them at your websites.

You get to keep the character alive rather than leaving that in the hands of people you obviously don't trust to make good decisions even though they have all the relevant data and you don't.

Chuckling :lol:

15. Chuckling

You're making some almighty large assumptions there Kathryn J. ! I've looked at your website more than once plus I've checked out what you've been saying elsewhere (including in Europe). I'm also aware that your posts in Europe quite often don't get any responses at all.

When you HONESTLY want to consider the situation and WILLLINGLY consider the realities of the situation, you will realize that even a few thousand people do not mount up to a rebellion in the scheme of things!

An author may get 1 or 2% of the cost of any book. Most of the rest of that money goes into publishing and marketing costs. Even a thousand people buying that book would not make it worth publishing. Publishers need far more than that to make it worth their while to incur the original costs involved in putting a book out to the public.

You're doing a fine job of writing about Janeway yourself and enjoying the *Star Trek* universe through your own perspective. So why don't all of those people on your Facebook page start writing what you would like to have happen and share it around among yourselves so in your world, you get to have things the way you want them to be.

http://koffeeklub.net/kj/

It's been done before and you can do it again. :techman:

Congratulations on bringing *Star Trek* fans together and on uniting them to enjoy their part of the *Star Trek* universe!

Now...make it so!

Chuckling :lol:

16. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Janeway is not dead. There are several different accounts of her dying/being assimilated/saving the universe or whatever, in different noncannon fictions. But as far as the main timeline is concerned, she's still alive and accounted for in the TNG era. As far as supplemental fiction goes, anything can happen, and anyone can write it.

Now, what's the problem?

17. AuntKate

AuntKate Commodore Commodore

The problem is that there are no novels with Janeway in them available for purchase. I've had to spend all my book money elsewhere. ;)

18. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

@ Chuckling, you are also free to write any of the character any way you want to, but licensed Trek, has an obligation to all of Trek Fans to produce stories about all the Trek Characters, they also have the obligation to all of Trek fans to produce those characters "in character" and to leave the character in the same condition that they found them in the first place.

No one is stopping anyone from producing fan fiction. But we are not talking about fan fiction; we are talking about published books that are produced for profit. That is a whole different thing.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Put it like this, Voyager was probably the worst Trek series (I watched it all, and quite enjoyed it, but it was very flawed) and had some very hard to like to characters, namely Janeway, Tuvok, Torres and Neelix.

The first few relaunch novels were embarrasingly bad, but Kirsten Beyer has pulled off something of a miracle - Voyager is now the most vibrant, dynamic and interesting title in Treklit (a very widely shared opinion). This is without Janeway (or Tuvok) and they really are not needed, and for me at least, not wanted. I miss Kirk, Scotty and Data, but not Janeway.

If Ms Beyer does bring Janeway back, I am sure she will do it well and write the character sympathetically - I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't find her Janeway less annoying than Kate Mulgrews, but I don't think there are many people losing sleep about it.

20. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

I have no quarrel with you not missing Janeway, but conversely I do miss her and I have every right to expect to be able to purchase Paramount Licensed Books that have that character included. It isn't the character’s fault that you don't like the Christy Golden books; it isn't even the character's fault that you dislike her. If the Kirsten Beyer books are vibrant, they would have been just as vibrant with Kathryn Janeway, in fact in one sense they are because Afsarah Eden shares most of the same attributes.

Voyager needs all her characters, including Tuvok and Janeway, those are the stories that I will be happy to purchase.

There can be books about Kathryn Janeway written that would satisfy her fans and you would never have to open one, but the way it is right now we don't have the privilege to do this at all. All we are saying that we are fans and should be considered too.