Australians - heat and fire

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Jan 4, 2013.

1. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just read an article about you poor kids on livescience.com.

Sounds dreadful.

2. Ghost07

Ghost07 Vice Admiral In Memoriam

My prayers are with you all.

3. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

4. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I think I can speak for all Tasmanians when I say we really appreciate the help we are getting from New Zealand and Victorian firefighters.

5. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

The local situation is (relatively speaking, of course) a bit more positive for now, but the weather will deteriorate again in the coming days so anything is possible. Hopefully people will keep paying attention and not imagine this is over with.

There are reports of horrendous livestock losses in other nearby areas. I can easily imagine how utterly devastating that will be for the people affected. Things can be replaced; those losses are forever. Horrible. :(

6. Miss Chicken

A view from above of some of the damage in Tasmania.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zLfnmgtO_xY[/yt]

7. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow.. Just.. Wow... Looks a lot like the area around our Little Bear Fire from last year... Luckily there were no injuries or deaths, but the flooding that came after the fire destroyed a lot of what the fire didn't.

Hang in there, guys!!!

8. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Let me guess...........25?

"Summer" is a very relative term in Australia.

Here in Perth we REGULARLY get up to about 42 and it's, excuse me, FUCKING DISGUSTING.

It always makes us laugh when we see the weather this time of year and it's like, "Tomorrow, Hobart, 19".

19?!?!?!?!?!

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!

In Summer our MINIMUM is barely EVER even 19!!!!

You guys are SO EFFIN LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Miss Chicken

no, it was 41.8 when I posted that and in fact the average maximum temperature this month on Tasmania has been 26.8C despite having one day as low as that which you make fun of.

Do you want to make fun of the 120 families that lost their homes, or the towns that were devasted by fire? Maybe you should make fun of me because I was extremely worried about people I knew who lived in the bushfire areas? Are you saying that Tasmanians shouldn't be upset because the next day after the firestorm the temperatures were only in the 20s?

Hobart might get far lower temperatures than Perth but it is more prone to bushfires.

If living in Perth is so difficult for you why don't you move, especially as you have previous complained about other things that are wrong with Perth.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  10. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Had it pretty easy where I live with mid-30s in the last week. Luckily the fires in the region that have started up have been mostly contained.

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only think that bothers me about heat is fires. If I didn't worry about fires I would be BRING IT ON when it hits the 40's.

The best weather is high 30's and rain. God I love that.

12. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Still rather hot today here in Newcastle - around 40c. But unlike a few days ago, there is a lot of clouds in the air. Hopefully we'll get some rain later today, as should cool things down. Plus it make me more comfortable.

13. teacake

Did a lot of sight seeing during the last week with overseas relatives. Everyone moaning and crying about the heat (including the ones who live here) and I'm waving my arms around saying IT'S GLORIOUS!!! Yes I guess that was annoying of me :lol: but I'd rather be annoyingly happy than annoyingly full of complaints.

14. Miss Chicken

Its only 23C here today which, according to my weather app, is one degree warmer than Adelaide and the same temperature as Sydney and Melboourne so it looks like most coastal regions have cooled at least south of Sydney.

It is meant to rain down here but we are still waiting for it.

I think they were forecasting 48C for Birdsville today.

15. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Says it's around 26C now. Still feels like it's in the low 30C. But now, the blue skies have been replaced with lots of dark clouds. Rain is likely, which I'm happy about.

16. Miss Chicken

Story, with video, about a dog who was badly burnt during the bushfires and who is being looked after by Miss Chicken's vet.

Also Dunalley Primary School will open up on the first day of school next month. They will have demountable classrooms and have received school supplies (books, computers, stationary etc) from all over Tasmania, Australia and the rest of the world.

17. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

High 30s and rain is what we are experiencing here today, except in Fahrenheit.

Next week should be interesting. I'm off to North Dakota where the high may not get above zero. Reminds me of my Vermont days.

18. teacake

I will never live in snow and that kind of cold again.

I had a Canadian friend who used to say "the worst part of Canada is there is no South."

19. Miss Chicken

33 houses lost yesterday near Coonabarabran, NSW. The Siding Spring Observatory has seemingly escaped any serious damage to the main telescopes though the out-buildings, including th accommodation buildings, have been destroyed.

20. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Summer can sod off forever as far as I'm concerned. Anything over 30 degrees C is good for absolutely nothing, IMO. It's far easier to get warm than it is to stay cool.

Locally, the fire situation is much better - for now. In the north of NSW it's terrible - at least 33 homes destroyed and God knows what livestock and other losses. Just horrible. :(