"He Walks Among Us"-- lost Spinrad script

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Turtletrekker, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Spinrad's first draft, July 1967. I downloaded it yesterday.

The above article says, "Spinrad is now offering copies of the script via Amazon Kindle." He'd hardly be offering the Coon rewrite.

It's not that "lost"/"rare", though. I saw many copies of this script for sale in the dealer's room of a Creation Con in New York in 1984, and it was also available through various mail order firms in the 80s and 90s. (I don't recall seeing the Coon rewrite bootlegged the same way.)

3. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I haven't purchased it, but in the sample pages on Amazon I like that he's included Uhura on the landing party, and there's some procedural stuff about getting the local outfits made, etc.

That said, $9.00 is ridiculous for a script, when whole physical paperback books can be had for that price.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll be passing on this because of the medium; I'd be happy to purchase it in hardcopy form, though.

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

same here.

7. toonloon

toonloon Captain Captain

Has anyone read it?

8. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I downloaded it, but haven't read it yet. I plan to start during lunch today. It has a nice picture (painting? CGI?) of the Enterprise on the first page. It looks like they cleaned it up. I was afraid it would be a straight scan. Hopefully, somebody proofread it. Many Kindle editions of older (e.g. 1950s) books I've bought have a lot of typos where the software misinterpreted what was scanned.

I don't mind paying $9.00 to read a script that's new to me, and I figure Spinrad could use the dough after it was bootlegged for so many decades.

Doug

9. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I guess I was wrong. It's full of typos, incorrect line breaks, varying margin sizes, etc. The original page headers ("CONTINUED" etc.) are in the original places, so they don't match up w/ the Kindle page, either. It looks like they just scanned it and let the OCR handle it. It's certainly readable, but for $9.00, I would have expected them to put a little effort into it.

It's an interesting read (I'm 20% into it), but I can see why it wasn't considered as written. It isn't a particularly original or compelling story.

I like how some scriptwriters do as much as possible to ensure that their work can be produced within budget. For example, Spinrad wrote: "INT. GREAT HALL OF BAYNE...Or as great as our budget will allow" and "INT. BAYNE'S QUARTERS...finished...with earth-type furniture around."

Doug

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

From the story synopsis, it sounds pretty dreadful. Is that your impression from the script?

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I read the Kindle sample that's available, and it didn't strike me as terribly original so far. Although it definitely sounds and feels like TOS, so it might be cool to read through the rest anyway.

12. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Well, I think the "not terribly original" is due partly to the fact that you're reading the script 45 years too late. It probably was a bit more original back in 1967--before there was 45 years' worth of Star Trek and science fiction in general that has now covered much of the same territory.

13. toonloon

toonloon Captain Captain

^ Well said.

14. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Maybe the cast of Star Trek Phase II will produce the script? It would be cool, if the story is any good?

15. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Yes, we've already announced it. Shooting tentatively set for November. Mr. Spinrad has graciously agreed to direct the episode himself. It'll be great to work alongside a living legend.

16. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

It's not great, but a fun walk back in time. Feels a lot like Friday's Child and The Apple to me.

17. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

That is very cool! I look forward to watching the episode. Keep up the great work GSchnitzer. The show is awesome:bolian:

18. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

So, who's going to play the Milton Berle part? :)

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to this. :techman:

20. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Much thanks and kudos to Mr. Spinrad. I want this to come out right, and not snarky, because I could never write a script.

I read the sample on my kindle, and the first few pages made me appreciate the story editor/producer role. Spock sounds tooo Spocky "venture a prognostication"; and after he says he can't make a guess about why the planet would have a steam whistle, Kirk guesses, and Spock concurs. So, again, no disrespect to the writer, and I'll bet the whole thing is cool overall, but it made me appreciate what some of the showrunner folks must do, taking writing from various authors and editing it into the sound and feel of the weekly show and characters.