STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. aeriolewinters

aeriolewinters Lieutenant Red Shirt

Also, Anyone considers that this Alternate Universe was already altered to begin with?

2. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How so, in relation to this movie and its characters?

3. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

It's an alternate universe from the get go, even before the Kelvin incident. That's one easy way to solve everyone's issues with canon. The Abramsverse is one of endless multiverses (like the ones hinted at in TNG's Parallels). Easy solution.

They can do what they like. It doesn't matter if Khan is white, or Vulcan is destroyed, or Chekov is born earlier. Alternate timeline.

4. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No it's not. Nero's encounter with the Kelvin was specifically highlighted as the point where the timelines diverged. That was even addressed on screen in the film. And Spock Prime's presence was a testament to the original timeline.

5. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

Does the movie mention Section 31 altering Khan's appearance?

6. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

Who's to say he didn't warn Starfleet about some of those things as well? However, compared to indestructible planet killers and genocidal techno-zombies, Khan probably presented a unique opportunity, and Starfleet probably believed (erroneously, it seems) that they could control him.

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

It's been suggested more than a few times, yes.

8. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

I'm currently in Afghanistan. The job I do has me working with local nationals on a daily basis. Now granted this is A'stan and not India, but some of the LNs here are very white. Of course not as white as BC, but still, the skin color is not always going to be the same all over the place.

Now the terp I see ocassionaly in the mess hall that has "Khan" on his name tape...he's much darker (I still want to go up to him and yell KHHAAAAAAAAAAAAN! but I know I never will because it would only be cool in my mind :) )

I was disappointed yesterday in the spoilers I read, but the more I've thought about it the more I think this will still end up being a cool movie. BC is awesome (discovered him in Sherlock and was thrilled he was going to be in this) so I'm willing to overlook the whole "Indian" hertiage of Khan and just go with the flow.

9. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

None of those dudes would make the cut, IMO. The only one who could come close is Hrithik Roshan.

But I'm just really, really glad they chose Cumberbatch.

10. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

lol Dennis, yes, a Mexican named Khan. Sure :lol:

11. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Marla McGivers was just a shitty historian, that's it.

12. Sigokat

Best explanation I've heard so far!! :rommie:

13. aeriolewinters

aeriolewinters Lieutenant Red Shirt

Here's a good speculation about Khan's 'magic blood'

What if it goes zany and makes kirk age faster?

14. Sigokat

I see alot of the spoilers over at IMDB have been taken down or edited. I'm pretty sure they were probably true, but guess that poster was getting to much hassle.

I was at the Star Trek '09 premiere at Camp Arifjan, Kuwait. There was a question and answer session afterwards and this is when I met Quinto and Urban (got photos with them as well...two really cool guys).

Anyways, JJ never once said anything about not revealing any spoilers to us at that premiere. But maybe this one has gotten so much hype over the last year or so, he is asking people not to spoil it. I don't know, I only know what was (or wasn't said) in Kuwait in 2009.

On a side note about spoilers, I was thinking of asking JJ how LOST would end durig the questions/answers session, but didn't because I knew he wouldn't say anyways. :)

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Since Khan Prime is a genetic construct, surely his skin can be whatever colour his designers wanted? And ST II canonically shows that Khan's melanin goes quite pale when he's out of the direct sunlight, so if John Harrison has spent enough time in England to gain an English accent, he's also in the right place to not get a tan.

By the way,
    introduces herself as Carol Wallace, using her mother's surname, so no one would link her to Admiral Marcus. A nice tip to the original draft of ST II in which Dr Janet Wallace, of "The Deadly Years", was to have been the mother of Kirk's son, David Wallace. So does this mean that Janet and Carol are sister-in-laws - and Kirk Prime managed to romance both of them?

Additionally, she has an English accent, while her Dad is an American. Last night I heard a few fans grumbling about that. I have twin cousins who did extended working holidays in London in the 80s. Only one of them returned with an altered accent, and has managed to keep much of it over the decades.

Just get him off Genesis. Oh. :guffaw:

Well, I was there last night. JJ didn't swear us to secrecy, but he did say that the mysteries were part of the fun and that we could help out by not spilling them all. It was a great feeling, sitting there in the cinema, still not sure when and if and how The Big Reveal was going to happen.

16. Therin of Andor

An easter egg they planted in the IDW comic.

Just living in London will do that. ;)

17. Sigokat

I wasn't trying to say that he didn't swear you all to secrey or that he didn't ask you guys not to spill any information, just that in 2009 he didn't say anything like that. :) I figure this movie was much more anticipated than the original and since this one does have more spoiler-ish information then it would make sense he would ask that.

In truth, at the 2009 premiere he didn't talk much at all. People were more interested in talking to the actors than to JJ. It almost seemed like JJ didn't really want to be there (have seen that with other celeberties at USO events in Iraq) but the rest of the actors (Cho and Pegg where not there) seemed to really enjoying interacting with us Soldiers that were there.

18. Therin of Andor

Totally agree. The red carpet last night was lined with many young people, aged 15-30 or so, all cheering wildly for Pine, Quinto and Urban.

I found fandom in 1980, as a fresh young 21-year-old. I often felt like the only fan in the room who'd loved ST:TMP. I went back through back issues of our club's newsletter and found venomous comments about Filmation's TAS, ST:TMP and Roddenberry's numerous attempts to get "ST: Phase II" afloat.

In following years, I saw fans reject ST II outright. (And even Roddenberry express his displeasure.) I saw fans who hated ST IV. I knew fans who refused to sample TNG. And even I found ST V rather unpalatable, but still a hoot to lampoon.

Funnily enough, when the next incarnation of Trek comes along, people tend to find the second-to-last one more tolerable. You don't see as much hatred for ST:TMP or "Enterprise" these days.

19. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

When I am already thinking of ways that this film can be improved, that is for me not a good sign.

I think the writers for this film had a good beginning, which came from the comics. In one the comics, Captain Kirk investigates the disappearance of the Archon, and, in the process, gets the interest and attention of Section 31. Pike is tasked with keeping Kirk in line.

So, why not use this scenario for the film? Captain Kirk does some exploration, which leads to a confrontation with Section 31, who use the Augments to shut down the investigation, and, in the process, the Captain aligns with the Augments on a mutual interest to take on Section 31. In the process of the film, we see Kirk making the crew a family.

One of my favorite battles from the TV series was the battle between the Lakota and the Defiant. I think it would have been fantastic on a larger budget. The Defiant is closer to my idea of what a Section 31 ship would be like, than the Vengeance.

20. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ethnicity has very little to do with geography in modern times, and vice versa. People of all colors, shapes, sizes, etc. come from everywhere with all kinds of different names. Requiring Khan to be a brown skinned man with a certain accent just because he's from a certain part of the world is just a little bit ... what's the word I'm looking for here? ... oh, yeah. Racist.

So there.

And maybe, just maybe, Harrison is not really Khan after all. Maybe he's doing a "Dread Pirate Roberts" on their ass. Gnaw on that for a while. :cool: