Dick Tracy (1990) Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomswift2002, Dec 29, 2012.

?

Rate the Blu-Ray release of "Dick Tracy" (1990)

1. 5 star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 4 star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3 star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 2 star

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. 1 star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 0 star

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

This has been a favorite film of mine since I was a kid, so I was disappointed when the DVD came out and it didn't even have the theatrical trailer on the disc (of course I did like having a DTS 5.1 soundtrack on the disc). So I just picked up he Blu-Tay and it looks like Disney has done another bare bones release of this film, but this time on Blu-Ray! It would've been nice if we had had the trailer or even Warren Beatty on an audio commentary (or how about Beatty's recent Dick Tracy TV special that he had to o in order to retain the rights?)

So has anyone else picked up this Blu-Ray?

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I've not seen this movie in forever. I'd be sort of interested in seeing it again. More interested in seeing a "remake"/new take on the character.

I remember the controversy over the "action figure" of Steve the Tramp.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Inspired by the success of 1989's Batman...the Dick Tracy movie was a soulless romp through the corpse of a mid-20th century icon. As with Batman the lead protagonist was overshadowed by his nemesis and colorful menagerie of villains. The movie was far too campy in tone, and has no sense of jeopardy. I don't think I'd ever really have the inclination to watch this movie a second time.

RAMA

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I think they think putting extras on a release will cost them lots of money and therefore they'd have to charge more for a movie they think won't sell a ton.

Isn't most of the cost in making the DVD or blu-ray and (hopefully) proper re-mastering for a blu-ray release?

Did they at least do a true re-master of this movie?

5. tomswift2002

What controversy?

But considering that Warren Beatty has stated (now that all the legal proceedings are over and he clearly still has the film/TV rights) that he's going to be making a sequel to the 1990 movie, it would've been nice to have had some trailers or maybe even a look at the history of the character, or maybe ven an episode of the 1950's Ralph Byrd TV series (which is in the PD) as a bonus.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The packaging for The Tramp had some rather disparaging remarks regarding homeless people (something like he "smells like he sleeps in a sewer") not mention the depiction of the Tramp wasn't well received by homeless organizations/support groups. So they pulled the action figure not too long after it hit shelves. My parents actually bought a handful of them figuring at some point they'll be worth more money due to rarity. I don't think that panned out, today they don't sell for much more than they did back then. (Actually less if you think about it.)

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It's only some homeless people that smell like a mixture of shit, patchouli and concentrated urine, as if they go to the bathroom in their pants like infants and fail at trying to cover it up.

The others smell like bubblegum.

8. tomswift2002

This is no upres of the 2002 scan. Do you ever see the cracks and crags that the make-up artists put into the make-up. (Which is why this movie won an Academy Award for Make-up.) There is a little bit of flatness, but I think that comes from how the movie was originally shot in order to look like a comic strip.

Even small details like the opera singer at the beginning of the film are in real good detail.

Of course it would've been nice if Disney had put both the 1.66:1 and 1.37;1 versions on the disc. (Warren Beatty's original plan for he movie was too have it play in 1.37:1, to be like the films from the 30's and 40's, and to also be a square like a comic panel, plus when you're watching the movie you can see that everything was blocked and shot with a 1.37:1 aspect ratio in mind).

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I remember hearing about that TV special Beatty did. I did not realize it actually aired. Since seeing the mention of it here yesterday I been trying to find an online version. So far nothing. Not even a picture of Beatty as Tracy in the new footage shot for it. It sounds interesting. He plays the real Dick Tracy whom all the comics and movies are supposedly based on. He even makes digs at "actor Warren Beatty"!

10. tomswift2002

I haven't seen the special either, but Beatty apparently made it to satisfy certain parts of his contract with the Tribune (and this was ultimately what led to Beatty suing the Tribne) saying hat he must make a new Travy movie or TV show within 10 or 15 years of obtaining the rights and the end of production on the last Tracy TV show/movie.

But it would've been nice to have seen that on he disc.

But, WOW! Are the back drops in this film ever popping out!

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

We should keep an eye out. Maybe with the Blu Ray release TCM will re-air the special. I am familiar with the history behind that special but never knew it actually aired.

I was 12 when the movie came out. At the time I remember not really liking it compared to Batman. But over the years it has grown on me the few times I have seen it again. The visual look of that movie is AMAZING!

12. tomswift2002

Well the disc plays back at an average of 31 Mbps, with the low dipping to around 25 Mbps, and the high peaking around 37 Mbps.

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i was one of those kids who saw Burton's Batman, loved it and wanted to see Dick Tracy. my mom wouldn't let me see it cause Madonna was in it though. i only saw the film once years ago and thought it was decent.