Getting Worried About Titanfall 360 Version...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AlphaMan, Feb 6, 2014.

1. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Titanfall, of course is the hotly anticipated game from Respawn Studios, who's core team led the mass exodus from Activision's Infinity Ward when Call of Duty reached it's critacl height. The game is coming to Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC. It's about a month away and no one has seen this game running on anything other than a PC. So from what I gather, a ton of the combatants will be AI driven and on the Xbox One, all of that processing will be done in the cloud.

I don't know if the 360 is going to have that luxury. These will be bots that run on code on the disc. Will this fundamentally change how the game runs? Respawn is finishing the XB1 version now, but the 360 version was outsourced to Bluepoint Studios. The fine folks that did the HD versions of The God of War Collection and Ico and Shadow of the Collossus HD Collection... But all the code was identical. The XB1 and 360 versions have to be fundamentally different.

Anybody else concerned?

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Azure Cloud is accessible from any Internet-enabled device, the Xbox 360 included. The idea that Azure Cloud features are only available to the Xbox One is just a bunch of marketing wank.

3. AlphaMan

Well, that makes me feel a little better, but it does raise more questions. What's the differenc in bandwidth between the XB1 and 360? How much data will be pulled from the cloud to run the AI? What happens if I loose my connection? Does the artificial intelligence become artifically dumb?

I'd feel better if I saw this game running on 360. Afterall, the 360 version is bound to be the best selling version of the game and Respawn isn't even working on it. It's odd that no one's seen it yet, IMHO.

4. Robert Maxwell

There shouldn't be any. Both use the same networking standards, as far as I know.

No clue. Probably not too much since latency would be an issue.

That'd be kind of funny! :lol:

I haven't kept up on this game. What do you mean Respawn's not working on it? They farmed it out to another studio, or what?

Anyway, they might just be keeping it under wraps so it's a big surprise when it launches. Or it's in a horrible state and not ready for prime time and they're desperately polishing what they can before they have to go gold.

Either one's a good possibility in this industry. :lol:

5. AlphaMan

Yeah... Respawn outsourced it to Bluepoint Studios....

The optimist in me says that they are just putting the best version of it out there for marketing, which would be the PC version, but the fact that they outsourced the 360 version is a source of concern since no one's seen it.

6. Robert Maxwell

Doesn't sound that worrisome. Bluepoint's done several well-received ports. Seems like porting is what they're good at.

7. AlphaMan

I don't know... I think I'm going to wait for reviews on this or wait until I buy an Xbone.

8. Robert Maxwell

I think that's just a good idea in general.

9. AlphaMan

Whoop! There it is!!

Titanfall Delayed on 360

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/02/06/titanfall-delayed-on-xbox-360

10. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Conveniently delayed just long enough so that people who weren't considering upgrading to Xbox One from Xbox 360 might get impatient? I find this completely shocking :lol:

As for what happens when you get disconnected.. well it's an online only game, so you're getting dumped to the menu, just like if you were playing COD multi. Have they confirmed an offline bot-mode? I'm sure they could do that without 'cloud'. I think the idea of how cloud processing helps is that normally for say COD, when they have the player-hosted multiplayer (the one where someone quits and you get a host-migration), that hosting adds extra strain to that player's system already. AI would have to run on that player/server as well which would slow it down even more, and it would also add to the amount of data sent by the server to sync the game state.

I think an offline mode running the same AI is perfectly plausible, as I don't think there is anything special about the AI in the game.

11. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Remember when EA claimed Sim City couldn't support an offline mode because it was integral to the game engine, only to be proven wrong by a bunch of modders shortly after? They even recently folded and downright admitted they had been bullshitting and just patched in an official offline mode.

That's about the amount of salt you should take with their announced cloud enabled AI features. That is not to say they won't be able to enhance the experience - they just won't be as revelatory as their current PR spin would have you believe.

12. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

13. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

TDU certainly was ahead of its time, which also explains its lack of commercial success.

14. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, sometimes things are ahead of their time and not appreciated until after the fact.

Atari was partly to blame for lack of success, though, as they didn't seem to be too committed to the game in terms of marketing. I remember when they had put out the expansion pack for it. It was digital-only, but they had released it in Europe only, and committed players could navigate the foreign language site and buy it in Euros. Other than that, there was nary a mention that there was even one out there. Only reason I know is that I stumbled upon it on the official forums.

15. Runetouch

Runetouch Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am looking forward to this game, as I hope that it might revolutionize the FPS genre, which has frankly become slightly stale.

16. AlphaMan

Anyone here in the Xb1 Beta?

17. Yoda

Yup.

18. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ya, i got a code from Expert Zone. Sadly I had to give it to a friend.. I don't have a One.

Sidenote: his dumbass didn't even use the code

19. Yoda

That is pretty dumb. The game's fantastic! I'm in beta withdrawals right now and it's not pretty. Had to quit cold turkey because my Internet was down pretty much all day on the final day. Didn't get a chance to say goodbye, that's what hurts the most. Can't wait for March 11.

20. AlphaMan

Everyone seems to give the beta high marks. I have to buy an Xbone before Mar 11.