Saavik's Origin

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Jsplinis, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Jsplinis

Jsplinis Lieutenant Red Shirt

From what I understand, Saavik's backstory is developed in the Movie novelizations, Pandora Principle, Unspoken Truth, DC Vol.1 comics, and Marvel Comics Untold Voyages.

1. Are there any other stories that develop her back story?

2. Of these stories, which ones are consistent and which inconsistent? What details of her story are contradicted amongst them?

3. Other than those stories and the Vulcan's series, Mere Anarchy and DC Comics vol.2, are there any other stories featuring Saavik?

Thanks and have fun,
    jsplinis

2. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

If I understand correctly, TOS 49 - The Pandora Principle by Carolyn Clowes & Unspoken Truth by Margaret Wander Bonanno pretty much explain most of that and both are thought quite highly of. I have them both on my to read shelf but haven't gotten to them yet so I can't elaborate but those two should clear up a lot of her backstory.

- Byron Followell

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Those are the main ones, though a couple of others allude to aspects established in those various works.

Everything else is consistent with the basics of what Vonda McIntyre established in the movie novelizations, but there are some differences of detail. "The Origin of Saavik" in DC's Vol. 1 had Spock rescue Saavik before TOS (flashbacks showed him in the pilot-era turtleneck uniform), while most everything else agrees that it happened a year or two after TMP. The other major discrepancy is that The Pandora Principle says that Spock pretty much raised Saavik by himself whereas most others say that Sarek and Amanda raised her on Vulcan (with Untold Voyages saying that Spock took her from Hellguard to the Vulcan embassy on Earth before eventually taking her to be raised by Sarek and Amanda). Unspoken Truth acknowledges some elements from Pandora (Spock taking a yearlong leave to tutor Saavik after her rescue) but also uses the "raised by Sarek and Amanda" version, and it portrays Saavik's time on Hellguard somewhat differently. This is the part where you find the most divergence among different versions, I think -- the details of what Hellguard was all about and what life there was like, as well as how old Saavik was when she was found.

She's in Dwellers in the Crucible by Margaret Wander Bonanno, and in "Just Another Little Training Cruise" by A.C. Crispin in Enterprise Logs.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I swear I remember the majority of the reactions to Unspoken Truth being negative. I was really looking forward to reading it, but when I saw how negative the reactions on here were I ended up pushing it back in my wishlist.

5. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

That's news to me. What was the criticism about? Quality of writing or the storyline?

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

No idea, but having read it myself, I have to say its pretty good !

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I don't, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Saavik was in one of the Rotsler "Star Trek II Short Stories", IIRC.

8. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Unspoken Truth pulled a couple of really annoying narrative tricks that really pissed me off, nothing I could be specific about without spoiling but it made me think that the whole emotional arc of the novel was a fake, and that grated. The first half is pretty good though, it almost feels like a totally separate novel, a good strange-new-world story.

9. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That basically sums up my opinion about the novel as well, although I think overall my estimation of the novel seems to be a tad higher than yours.

10. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

No, I think we're pretty much on the same page.

11. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I remember being really disappointed with Unspoken Truth, when i had really been looking forward to it. MWB is usually hit and miss with me it seems...

12. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very similar to what I thought, too. That particular narrative trick really annoyed me, and the perspective the novel is written from no longer makes sense after the reveal. Although I did enjoy the story, for the most part.

13. Jsplinis

I've read in a few places that Saavik's origin might be presented a little different at times but that all versions are pretty much based on the Movie Novelizations. So I was wondering: what exactly is revealed in those Movie Novelizations and in how much detail?

Thanks and have fun,
    jsplinis

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Why not read them? They are great.

Meanwhile:
    http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Saavik

15. Jsplinis

I think I read somewhere that she's also in "Infinity" in The Lives of Dax anthology. What is her level of involvement in these three stories. Is she a central character, a guest, a background character, a cameo, etc.? Thanks.

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I thought Unspoken Truth was excellent.

I've got Pandora Principle but haven't read it yet.

17. Christopher

Saavik is a supporting character in Dwellers and a more prominent supporting character in "Infinity." But she's the central character in "Training Cruise."

18. TheUsualSuspect

TheUsualSuspect Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

She and Spock are the central characters in "Training Cruise," she's a background character serving on the Enterprise in Dwellers, and she's either a cameo or a background character in "Infinity."

FWIW, I've read all three and they're all worth reading. If you don't mind novels that are no longer consistent with current canon, Dwellers in the Crucible is a great example of the kind of diverse, sometimes off-beat, novels Pocket was putting out in the mid-80s. It's Margaret Wander Bonnano's first Trek novel.

19. Christopher

Nope, I just looked through the story, and she's a fairly major character in it.