Does It Get Better???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by AdmiralScreed, Dec 4, 2011.

1. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

Repression: Interesting premise, but poor execution. What was the Bajoran mind control dude trying to accomplish? Maybe I missed something, but it was never very clear to me. And how did he transmit his message to Tuvok through Starfleet? You'd think Starfleet security would have caught that. And how was he able to communicate with Tuvok from 35,000 light years (?) away? The prophets? I don't quite understand that either. Too many questions, and not enough answers. I did like the dark atmosphere and the mystery of this episode, but at a certain point it was pretty obvious that Tuvok was the culprit. It was also nice to see some Starfleet/Maquis conflict again, even if mind control was the entire reason for it.
    4 or 5/ 10, trying to decide still.

EDIT: Since Melakon suggested I announce the episodes prior to my reviews, Critical Care is next!

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tuvok had been captured and programmed to be a sleeper agent who reacted to a trigger years earlier when he was still in the AQ.

All the hard stuff had been done, the activation could have been as simple as saying the word "teapot" but you're right they made it look like Bajoran magic for some reason.

Anyone Tuvok had had a serious meld with over the years should have "caught" his sleeper programming (and siphilus).

Neelix and Janeway come to mind.

If the Devore had been allowed to take Tuvok to a concentration camp, none of those murders would have taken place.

3. AdmiralScreed

Okay, there'll be two episode reviews instead of one, actually.

Critical Care: A serious episode with intriguing ethical dilemmas. Not sure if I'd have gone as far as the Doctor went, but it can be argued that the ends justified the means. Memorable guest characters too, especially Chellick.
    7/10

Inside Man: Another spectacular TNG crossover. So much to enjoy about this one; seeing the Ferengi again, another Barclay and Troi team up, the great sense of continuity...some of the scenes with the hologram Barclay were unnecessary, so I take one point off for that. Otherwise I thought this was a terrific episode! The final stretch of the show has been great so far!
    9/10

Really excited for this season, but also sad that it's coming to an end soon. It may have taken a long time for Voyager to hit its stride, but I really like the direction it's taken in the last two seasons!

4. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Taste is indeed a subjective thing. For me, seeing Ferengi, other than Quark, is never really something to enjoy. And while Barclay is pretty much always welcome Troi on the other hand...

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You have a pudgy little dumpling standing on your hand?

Does it hurt?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  6. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I thought this one was really bad too.

Critical Care is one of my favorites!

I don't like any of the TNG crossover eps.
    I was a desperate attempt to boost ratings(which I can understand the reasons) but I hate the fact they had to bring in TNG characters for that when you have really good characters like Tuvok, Neelix or Chakotay that could have used more screen time & development. I would have rather have seen them use the time to wrap up the loose ends with Maquis members, rather than have to devote time to annoying characters like Barclay & Troi again.

7. AdmiralScreed

Hey folks! I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow to take an audition. I'll be gone about a week. I might watch some Voyager on the way back, but don't be surprised if I don't do another review for a week or so. Teacake, you get the keys to the thread. Take good care of her until I return. It won't be that long, so don't get any crazy ideas......

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh my!

Such responsibility. Don't worry Admiral Screed you know I respect you and the admiralty and everything it stands for. I promise this thread will remain TRUE to its purpose!

And here, let's kick off the threadsitting with what we all know this forum is really about:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thQEEZuponw[/yt]

9. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    [​IMG]

...that was...beyond brilliant :guffaw:

I feel a Weird Science moment coming on...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  10. teacake

Janeway looks like she should be zapping her tongue out at a moth in that gif!

11. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Break a leg, Admiral! (I still observe theatre superstitions)

12. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cool, this thread is back :-)
    I shall be reading through the reviews -_-

Edit - so you definitely do have a new enthusiasm for VOY now reflected in more generous scores, a good few higher than I would give. For me Unimatrix Zero and Fury were ultimate garbage, full of endless plot holes and wasted opportunities. There wasn't a single moment in "Fury" when the characters even talked to Kes properly, literally unbelivable.
    As for Zero, ugh, so boring and illogically plotted. Repression is pretty terrible.
    On the other hand, I agree that season 6 is strong, it has some weak episodes but generally it's pretty good and it has some triple A grade Trek for me.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  13. AdmiralScreed

Had my audition at Rice University earlier today, went pretty well! Decided to watch a little Voyager in my hotel for fun.

Body and Soul: Very, very funny episode. The aliens of the week were fairly boring, but the real star of the episode was the Doctor in 7's body. Really a joy to watch!
    7/10

Nightingale: Fairly average action plot, but enjoyable. Can't say I've always wanted to see Captain Kim, but it was decently entertaining. I actually preferred the subplot with Icheb and Belanna. As a guy who goes for older women, I feel for ya Icheb, I feel for ya......
    6/10

14. Melakon

According to Mike Sussman, Robert Picardo videotaped the 'possession' scenes so Jeri Ryan could study his voice and movement. It might be a good indication of cast relationships and willingness to help each other out. Ryan does really well showing the Doctor's delight at new experiences. And some lines are just hilarious: "You became sexually aroused in my body!"

Out-takes must have been a riot. I also give director Robert Duncan MacNeill a lot of credit for its success.

15. exodus

From "Iminations" to "Timeless" to "the Desease" and "Nightingale", I can see now why Harry didn't get a promotion. He might be a good jr Engineer but he seemed to mess up on every assignment he was put in charge of. I guess that's why he worked so well with Seven. He was basically just a Drone. That was the flaw in the character the writers never had him over come, the ability to think for himself.

I gotta give Jeri Ryan much credit for being able to pull of Picardo as the Doc. flawlessly! One of the best scenes was them trying Cheesecake for the first time! Hilarious!!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  16. exodus

......glad to hear your audition went well also!:bolian:

17. Melakon

It's really built like a traditional farce, with confused lovers, mistaken identity, ludicrous situations, impersonations, and funny dialogue. MacNeill does wonderfully with the actors, but it's been so long in seeing, I can't remember the technical work. One of Jeri's best roles.

18. AdmiralScreed

Thanks! Fingers crossed I get in.

And after digesting it some more, I've raised my score for Body and Soul to an 8. It's all around quality writing, scripting, acting, and directing. Definitely one of the highlights of the season so far.

19. teacake

I'm going to rewatch it today :D

20. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

She played a GREAT EMH. :bolian: