#FreeBabylon5 Campaign

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jan, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

A lot of you may have caught the Babylon 5 reference in this past weekend's Breaking Bad episode. A lot of fans think that it's really cool to get mentions on shows like that and Big Bang Theory; probably an equal number are getting annoyed that the references are seldom complimentary.

Given that B5 hasn't been in reruns in the States for probably at least ten years, JMS makes a valid point that the show can't find new fans except by word of mouth. That way lies obscurity. The other night, he made a number of Tweets about the subject including:
    So several of us are starting the process of getting organized and getting loud. We've got a Facebook page with 1,600 'Likes' in a day and a half, a very basic web page with more to come soon, even T-shirts whose proceeds will go to benefit Pat Tallman's Be A Santa program and Claudia Christian's C Three Foundation. For Purple, click here. For Green, click here. More colors coming soon.

Let me be clear: This is only about getting Babylon 5 back on television in reruns for now...perhaps with a side order of getting it on streaming sites, later. We're going to get in touch with WB to ask that they make the show available and we're going to contact TV stations and ask them to feature B5. Until we can grow the fanbase and show WB that there's demand, there's no chance of getting any other nice things like blu-rays, novels, comics, feature films or even a new show in the B5 universe.

So please, if you can fan out and find good contact information for WB and any TV stations (US or otherwise) you think would be a good match, please post it here! And help spread the word and use the hashtag #FreeBabylon5 anywhere you can. We'd also welcome other ideas, as long as they're focused on this one goal.

If B5 *is* in reruns where you live, I'd love to hear about it. And contact information for those stations would be great, too, so we can thank them.

Thanks!
    Jan

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it not on Netflix Instant?

3. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

It used to be on Netflix but my understanding is the only streaming availability is about a season and a half on WB's site.

Jan

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I found out a couple of days ago that Farscape is actually on TV again on a channel called Pivot. If Farscape can get on TV again than anything is possible. I actually saw a written thing on facebook from JMS talking about this campaign. I would love to see B5 on TV again and not fade into obscurity. I know Sci-fi isn't a big thing right now, but from about 1990 to maybe 2001 or 2002, it really felt like Sci-Fi and the space oriented shows went through a golden age. Yeah we had BSG afterwards, I would love to have a period like that again. Unfortunately the big thing now is either shows dealing with Meth, Zombies, Clones, or any other earth bound stuff.

5. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is Babylon 5 really that obscure? It's fairly high profile for a non-Trek sci-fi show, and I see the DVDs in stores a fair amount of times.

None of the post-Sleeping in Light B5 material is especially good, so I don't really feel the need for more B5. The last few films were really bad, and Lost Tales was forgettable. Do people really went the legacy diluted any more? B5 is one of my fave shows ever but I'm GLAD JMS isn't able to write any more of it. B5 is a story with a clear beginning and end, but JMS wants to turn it in to some endless, increasingly mediocre franchise.

6. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I'm not interested in more Babylon 5, too many crappy movies and the Lost Tales were a joke.

7. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

It would be nice to get it back on Netflix, at the least.

8. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There seem to be a few new B5 threads here every week, so I genuinely don't get how it's obscure compared to other shows I would consider obscure. Does JMS really expect a cult show from the 90s to hit the mainstream? It has tons of devoted fans and that's enough for it to live on.

I'm not busting my arse to promote B5 just to get us a Legend of the Rangers sequel.

9. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

With respect...I'm not interested in this thread becoming a discussion of anything people like or dislike. The point is, IF you want to participate in helping B5 get a bigger fanbase and help keep it from sliding into obscurity, please help out by sending letters or emails of signing petitions as the information becomes available. Helping out further by looking for info on TV stations that might rerun B5 would be great.

But if you don't want to help, that's okay. I would just ask to keep the clutter down so those of us who do can find the information.

tomalak301 - I'd heard of Pivot. Any chance you might find any info on it? I'm also hoping that the Science Channel might be a good bet since I think they did really well with Firefly reruns.

Jan

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

If you want this to trend anywhere near high enough, one thing to do is to try and get some relatively high profile online personalities (youtubers, internet pundits/journalists) to help get the word out.

I know for sure MovieBob is a fan, not so sure about the likes of Angry Joe, Jim Sterling, TotalBiscuit, or any of the crew on TGWTG but it's at least worth investigating. Just a tweet from some of these people should at least help raise the profile.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  11. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Thanks. We've had a few write-ups on blogs which is nice, but they're focusing on JMS' tweets and posts. Once we've got a little more for people to look at and do, we'll definitely look into this.

Jan

12. tomalak301

I just heard of pivot just two days ago, but this is the website. It seems like Farscape airs nightly (And they just finished the first season) with some airings of the previous week's episodes on Sunday.

http://www.pivot.tv/shows/farscape

As for the channel, it launched August 1st so it's brand new.

13. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If this was fan-driven I wouldn't have a big issue, but it seems like something JMS is trying to push forward.

If B5 ends up back on the air isn't that more money in JMS's pocket? So it's not like he's without a horse in this race. Likewise if the 'buzz' then helps make it more possible for him to get a future project made.

14. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Believe me, while it was *sparked* by JMS, he's not involved in any way at all. It's something he's said at convention appearances for quite a while but when the hashtag appeared the other night it seemed like a good time to try to organize something - especially after the energy at the Phoenix Comic-Con in May. As to your questions:

If B5 ends up back on the air, isn't that money in JMS' pocket? Yes, a little bit. Also all of the actors, directors and many of the key crew will also get residuals.

Likewise if the 'buzz' then helps make it more possible for him to get a future project made. Presumably you mean future Babylon 5 project? Yeah, maybe, but if so, that's far down the line. Might it also make the possibility of a Blu-ray more possible? Maybe.

The point of the campaign is to grow the fan base and show WB that there's money to be made. As a corporation, that's *all* they're interested in. If JMS and the folks who actually made the show get a few bucks too, I'm all for that.

Now then, I know there are folks here from all over the world. Look around and let me know if Babylon 5 is currently in reruns in your area and what station, if so? Thanks.

Jan

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Is Babylon 5 being syndicated anywhere on television in the US at the moment?

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Apparently it hasn't been on anywhere state side in a decade.

@ Jan: Pretty sure it's not on over here at the moment, though it defiantly has been in the last few years. Can't remember which channel(s), but I'm almost certain it wasn't C4 like it used to be back in the day.

Anything else you need a hand with just give me a shout. If nothing else I can certainly provide you with a higher resolution version of that logo. ;)

17. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Nope. That's the whole point of the campaign - to find channels to show it to help grow the fan base. As far as most of us can tell, B5 hasn't been on TV in the US for ten years or so. Perhaps only five in other countries, but that's why I'm asking the question.

As everybody knows, Trek TOS was cancelled (twice!) due to lousy ratings and then found its fans when it was shown in reruns for years and years afterward. B5's hardly ever been in reruns, particularly at any decent hour, so pretty much the only way for fans to find it is word of mouth.

ETA: Thanks, Reverend, that would be nice. In fact, one page I'm looking to add to the website will be banners, graphics, posters and memes that fans can use to spread the word. If you're interested in doing anything like that, that'd be great!

Jan

18. tomalak301

Agreed. I guess when I say I hope the show doesn't fade into obscurity, I mean the series itself. I don't really want to see a new addition to the franchise (Even though a real conclusion to the Drakh Plague would be nice but that's not going to happen, despite really enjoying Call to Arms) but more just the franchise being accessible to people. It's a great series and it would be awesome to see new people discover it.

19. Faldor

Faldor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

People still watch Television? On Television ?!

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Sure, PM me with what you have in mind and I'll see what I can cook up. In the mean time, here's one I made earlier. ;)

[EDIT]

Sorry, couldn't resist! ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013