The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Dream, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Reminds me of why I hate Paramount so much. Freaking cheapskates!

You would think they would at least be a little generous with the budget after killing the TNG series on television while is was still quite popular. :klingon:

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

As has been reported before, they "killed" TNG for business reasons. The show was getting increasingly expensive to produce and adding more episodes to a series that had run 7 years wasn't going to add significantly to its value especially given those rising costs.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I never said Gene had anything to do with Worf.

Only said as showrunner he would've been involved with making the Klingon Empire allies to the Federation, which was established in "Heart of Glory".

4. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a good point actually. Was the Klingon/Federation alliance ever established as being pre-Worf (ie, was it thought up during the early pitch meetings), which subsequently urged Justman towards suggesting a regular Klingon cast member?

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Paramount not only killed TNG, they also damaged the last season of the show. They moved all the best writers over to DS9. They had Moore and Braga distracted with the Generations script instead of having them focusing on TNG S7 like they should have. S7 suffers so much because they rushed Generations. That garbage movie wasn't even worth it.

Very glad CBS now controls Trek on television.

6. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How come no one has bitched about the two shots* reused from the TV series?

* Fly by just before the bit in stellar cartography and the neck shot of the Enterprise duing the saucer separation.

7. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Topic was probably used up more than most other played-out topics, in dozens of old threads in the past 12 years or so.

An awful lot of work went into salvaging that slow flyaway for GEN (one of the only optical as opposed to digital comps in the show), and even so it looked so 'off' from the rest as seen in-cinema that it was disconcerting. Hard to believe then & now that mo-con stage miniature work would be so expensive as to make spending ANY dollars trying to salvage that worthwhile.

8. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably because in general that sort of reuse isn't uncommon, and neither one constituted a "climax" shot.

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Effect shots like that are the frosting on the cake. All the best frosting in the world is still gonna be bleh if there's no substance underneath it. Effects are there to enhance a plot, not define it. Generations was doomed long before that bird of prey blew up.

10. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I think a lot of mistakes were made, in particular it feels like they handed a movie franchise over to a bunch of TV guys. FC came out really well, but Insurrection and then Nemesis suffered.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, Star Trek 2009 had whole expensive sequences deleted (Rura Penthe, for example). And who knows what scenes landed on the cutting room floor in STD. So it hasn't changed.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

To be fair, they also handed the TOS movies over to a bunch tv guys. Most of those movies turned out pretty good.

More and more I consider FC to be a lucky fluke for Berman and company.

I still don't understand in what universe they thought Picard saving a bunch of Space Amish, and Picard fighting his clone were worth doing movies about. Those entire scripts should have been dumped and the writers should have come up with something more interesting.

13. Lee Enfield

Lee Enfield Lieutenant Red Shirt

Gotto say: I love the initials for the new movie :lol:
    They should've called it Star Trek: Darkness.

14. Jonesy

Jonesy Commodore Commodore

It would have been a great mix to hand "Generations" over to an experienced director with at least a moderate degree of success with feature films, while keeping the Trek writers.

15. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

If you haven't done so, you should find the unpublished book Piller did about the script (d)evolution on INSURRECTION. There was a core good idea or two, but the development process really pissed all over things (Stewart and Berman seem to be deserving of the most blame IMO) ... once Trek starts doing HATFIELDS & MCCOYS on the big screen, it stops being just played-out TV formula and becomes infuriating waste of resources.

16. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Many of Stewart's objections and criticisms seemed perfectly reasonable:
    http://theologica.verydewarsontherocks.com/documents/FadeIn.pdf

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Stewart makes the basic nuTrek arguments: it works for the show, it worked in the past, but it won't work on the big screen.

18. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

No, he makes some very specific points about the weaknesses and unoriginality of Piller's original script, i.e. Data not functioning right for the third movie in row.

19. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I'm a bit late to the discussion, here, but those BoPs in Yesterday's Enterprise were clearly meant to be much larger and more powerful, but they hadn't made the Vor'Cha model yet. If they had, you can bet they would have used them instead.