Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I suspect this will be the focus of an episode now that she's back in the field. Coulson knew she was wasting her talent at a desk job and she must have known that accepting his offer was the first step in getting back into action. In this episode, she realized that she can't sit back and drive the bus and let Coulson do her job for her. Next she'll have to have that crucial moment where she gets past whatever's blocking her.

I completely agree. With good writers, there can be any number of episodes. Back in the 50s and 60s, some shows had 30 or 40 episodes in a season. These short seasons can be very frustrating.

I agree with this, too. Non-stop action bores me. I actually fell asleep twice during the Avengers movie and had to rewind-- only to find that I didn't actually miss anything. But SHIELD doesn't bore me at all.

2. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Totally agree with this. I also agree with another poster who said there hasn't been a moment yet that's made me think, 'Oh wow, that's awesome!'

I did think the third episode was an improvement, although it still wasn't perfect. I liked Quinn, I thought he was quite a charismatic bad guy. The scenes where the gravity was messed up was pretty cool. I liked it when Skye took the gun and then when asked if she had what it took to pull the trigger so said 'nope' and jumped out of the window.

I also liked the little hints with Coulson's muscle memory, although I am wondering how long this mystery will last, and if they're going to continue to hint at it in every episode.

I think it's a shame that Fitz and Simmons weren't involved more, I thought given that Hall was their old professor there was a chance to learn more about them.

But it's still pretty generic and there's no spark to the show.

3. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Caught the third episode. It's my favorite so far. Finally they have a recurring villain, and one that appears formidable enough, and they finally get their first supervillain. Not sure if I'm buying the guy playing Dr. Hall as being threatening, but once he returns I might as Graviton I might. Granted I know next to nothing about Graviton so it shouldn't be a hard sell.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, a quick look at Graviton's wikipedia page suggests a reluctant villain, so it's kind of fitting. In his very first appearance, he attacks a laboratory and lifts it into the air. He's defeated when he's convinced that one of the scientists, who he cares about, has committed suicide (which causes him to panic and lose control of his powers).

5. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Episode 3... That was a Leverage episode, really, but with less wit, rather than a Marvel show, IMO.

6. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

***SPOILER***

Based on the easter egg at the end of episode 3, am I the only one who thinks Dr. Hall is going to come back super OP??

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's just you. Such an idea is preposterous.

;)

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

NOOO!!!!

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I don't know what "super OP" is, but Dr. Hall, in the comics, is a super-villain called "Graviton" with complete mastery over gravity.

10. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

OP: Over-Powered

11. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Apart from this Shield ep I'm only familiar with Graviton from the first few eps of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes s1.

Is Graviton a recurring villain in the Marvel universe? Seems to me Magneto is often seen as a definite A-list bad guy (sometimes good guy) who's a huge threat in the MU... yet he can just control metal. Whereas Graviton could pretty much just do anything, control anything. I just kinda wondered why I'd never heard of him before. Someone that powerful shouldn't just be a minor villain

12. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I'm not getting the connection to Leverage. They didn't steal anything or con anyone.

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

sometimes it's more about the character than the powers. Also, if none of the writers at marvel do anything with the guy, well than he won't ever make the A-list.

14. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Graviton's been at the high end of the "B-list" despite the nature of his powers for a long time, and a recurrent foe of first the Avengers and later the Busiek/Nicieza-era Thunderbolts.

15. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It depends pm the quality of the show and the story that needs to be told.

Korean Historical Dramas usually START at 50,and have gone to 100 to 200 episodes, and been just as intriguing.

But since they are based on history, they don't have to pad it as much as elaborate on actual events.

16. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Shorter seasons work well for seriels or shows that are strongly arc based. I don't consider well-written stand alone episodes to be filler at all. Many shows have used season arcs but also included outstanding individual episodes.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't understand the reaction to the show having 22 episodes. Almost every show on the networks have at least 20 episodes. A lot of the popular cable shows are even starting to have close to 20 episodes a lot of the time now.

18. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I'm just thinking a general vibe- Skye with the earbud infiltrating the guy's office, pretend (or is it) double-cross... Not a specific plotline

19. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Season three of Buffy is the gold standard for this kind of thing, IMHO, with the main season arc existing mainly as a slow burn in the background of some early episodes, interspersed with the occasional pivotal episode and undergoing a gain in momentum as the season progressed. As such it made a virtue of the season length (22 episodes). I'll be surprised if this approach isn't taken in Agents Of SHIELD.

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, Buffy set the standard that has been followed with others in a quasi-serialized setting (notably with the new Doctor Who, but also with shows like Burn Notice that usually had a more overt ongoing plot at the beginning and end of episodes before a stand alone episode in the middle).

That being said, while there's certainly two ongoing character plots (with Skye and Coulson), there doesn't really seem to be an ongoing bad guy or threat just yet that's been hinted at in more than one episode.